De La Hoya v Mayweather

Discussion in 'Sport' started by booyaka, Apr 28, 2007.

1. booyaka

booyaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,579
    Mouth watering prospect and live on Sky - not box office i beleive!:thumbsup:

This could be some fight - hope it lives up to the billing and should be a cracker!

As Nelson said last night - no sitting on the fence your either with De La Hoya or with Mayweather.

Personally for me - i thinkg mayweather is just going to be to quick for the golden boy.

2. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,898
    Mayweather for me also worse luck.:(

3. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    De la Hoya is a quality fighter and I think he may have it in him. He's intelligent and has the skills, I feel that he may just be able to use his superior power to edge it. If it goes to points I think that mayweather's speed and workrate may push it in his favor. But I would not be suprised to see a De la Hoya knockout.

4. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Delahoya for me:smashin:

Maywether definitley has the speed advantage,and stamina as well probably but Oscar hits harder than anyone he has fought before and I think experience may be what wins this.In the last build up documentary it showed Oscar sparring with Sugar Shane and their tactics were obvious-cut off the ring,trap him in the corner and batter the mouthy little :censored: :clap:

Mayweather is just gonna try and run and counter all night like he did with Baldimir,the outcome depends on if Oscar can trap him or not.

5. booyaka

booyaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,579
    yeah - excellent documentary - think the last 2 parts are wednesday and friday this week some time.

6. MedMick

MedMick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Definately NOT PPV. Dont forget that Mayweather has moved up several weight divisions recently, so even though he has the speed, he is not naturally as powerful or strong as De Le Hoya, so for me its Oscar all the way!

7. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    They both started at the same weight though. I'm going for Mayweather as I feel De la Hoya is past his best, the three before his last fight wasn't that great. Mayweather only has to get some reasonable body shots in and De la Hoya is going down. Oscar wasn't that great against anybody who is faster than him either (Mosley in particular) and Mayweather is almost as fast as Mosley. :(

Does anybody who doesn't have money on him actually want Mayweather to win? The only reason I'd want to see Mayweather win is to set up his fight with Mosley.

8. Speedoguy

Speedoguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +638
    Just like our May weather will be hot - Mayweather will also be to hot unfortunately for De La Hoya.

As much as I'd prefer a De Le Hoya victory Mayweather in the 8th for me.

9. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    Mayweather stoppage? De la Hoya has only been KO'd by Bernard Hopkins who is on another planet to Mayweather in terms of power.

10. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,134
    But it's still April isn't it :confused: :cool:

11. Speedoguy

Speedoguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +638
    Your probably right just have a feeling in my water about it.Like I did when a certain James Douglas dumped Mr Tyson on his backside.Not the same difference in power I grant you.

12. DrWise

DrWise
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,057
    oh a week away now
    24/7 on wednesday and friday
    than the big fight
    this is the first time i aint calling a fight
    it's be gonna be awesome :)
    i want a de la hoya win ;) But mayweather is quality too
    *stocks up on the drinks & popcorn*

THE WORLD AWAITS

13. MedMick

MedMick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    2 of those 3 were against Moseley and B-Hop. Moseley was too good for him again, B-Hop was up at middleweight, and he looked physically bigger than De La Hoya. Mayweather's last fight against Baldomir, he didnt put any weight on after the weigh in, whereas most fighters put about 1 stone back on ( another debate altogether!) But saying that he won easily. You might be right about Mayweather being to fast for De La Hoya, but Mayorga wound up Oscar big style and look where that got him! On his harris! Red Bulls at the ready sat night!

14. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Big difference between Mayorga and Mayweather in terms of quality though. I can't see De La Hoya catching Mayweather enough to score enough points. If Mayweather skips away like did against Baldomir (who would have knocked the little punk out if he stood still) then its not going to be much of a contest.

15. MedMick

MedMick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Fair point, but there is also a difference in quality between Baldomir an De La Hoya. Lets hope its a classic!

16. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    I cant help feeling that this is going to be a major dissapointment.Lets be honest,what was the last exciting fight that Mayweather was in?His win over Gatti was impressive,but I would hardly call it exciting-if anything it was a bit sad watching a faded warrior like Gatti get tee'd off on so easily and clinically.You would probably have to go all the way back to 2002 for his first fight with Castillo which a lot of people felt he was lucky to win,for anything resembling an "exciting fight",everything since has been pretty boring IMO.

Dont get me wrong,I appreciate he is a talented fighter and one of the best defensive boxers alive but he leaves the exciting fights to the Coralles,Barrera's,Pacquiao's of the sport.I cant help think that he is just gonna run from Oscar all night like just like the Boldimir fight-if he was afraid to get into a ruck with Baldimir he is gonna be terrified of De La Hoya!

I love the fact that this is a real pick em fight and nobody really knows who is going to win but surely this is what every fight should be like?In my opinion the fact that this fight is getting so much hype and publicity just shows what a dire state the sport is in.When we finally get a decent fight ="THE WORLD AWAITS"....dam right the world awaits,because decent fights are so few and far between:mad:

17. booyaka

booyaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,579
    as always good point well made Mr Jason!:)

Hoping that DLH wins really as it would cement his status as one of the best boxers ever in the sport.

Will be watching (not staying up mind you) and waiting to see what happens.

18. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Thank you good sir:cool:
    :eek: You have to stay up and watch it live you big girls blouse!Part of the fun is falling asleep just before the big fight is about to start:boring:

19. booyaka

booyaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,579
    3.30am start time for the fight really means probably about 4am!!!
    no chance will get up early and watch it without knowing the result!

20. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,819
    Second that, couldn't have said it better. I watched the Mayweather/Baldomir fight and it was pretty dreadful IMO, sure enough PBF controlled the fight, but that's the type of boxing I rather not watch in all honesty :boring:

Like most here I suspect, I'll be hoping for DLH to win on saturday. I just pray the fight doesn't turn out to be a complete anticlimax due to FBF noncing about the ring avoiding all the punches and just concentrating on the odd weak counters for scoring.

Have no idea if I'll be able to watch it yet despite looking forward to it for ages. Cable tv's a funny thing out here and you really just need to tune in and hope, alot of the time PPV fights are just shown on standard cable for free but sometimes they're nowhere to be found, payment or no payment. TV guides only show the movie channels so I'll be ready with beer and munchies in anticipation:rolleyes:

21. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,766
    Does anyone know when they touch gloves is it at 3am or later? I watch it, but want to set the alarm because i will fall asleep ;)

22. jason g

jason g
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,778
    come On Oscar.

23. booyaka

booyaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,579
    3.30am i beleive is the start time - off to bed with the sky plus set - will watch in the morning without knowing the result!

24. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,766
    SPOILER

Pretty good fight, i think the decision is kinda right, i would of loved Hoya win it on aggression alone, but towards the end he tired so much, and Mayweather had alot of speed in his legs and if it went further than 12 Mayweather would of KO'd Hoya. Mayweather did shake Hoya early on and Hoya's legs went for a second, Mayweather was never really troubled, but there was not alot in it between the two in terms of class and power, just age showed in the end.

25. DrWise

DrWise
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,057
    i dont think the 4 point difference on the last card was fair
    it was a excellent fight no doubt

26. booyaka

booyaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,579
    good fight - not quite the classic we all hoped for.

could have gone either way but probably the correct result.

Certainly wouldn't pay a lot to watch mayweather fight - all off the back foot and a bit boring at times!

27. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    I was dissapointed Oscar didnt win it,and TBH I think he should have got the decision,Mayweather was just too negative for the majority of the fight and until the last few rounds nearly all his punches were hitting Oscars gloves.

It was an ok fight but nothing special and pretty much what I expected-Mayweather just running away all fight,popping off little counters and jabs with Oscar trying to walk him down.....boring:boring:

It is a shame cos I think if Mayweather chose to, he could actually be an exciting fighter-I think it was after round 9 or 10 that his corner told him it was close or he may be losing because they were giving Oscar points for coming forward,and he looked shocked and said "really?",then the difference when he came out for the next round was massive,he was actually trying to fight instead of constantly running away.

Lets hope they both retire now-Oscar so he doesnt damage his legacy(he doesnt exactly need the cash),and Mayweather so I dont have to watch anymore of his boring fights(yes I know he is very skillfull but I just dont like watching such negative fighters).

28. DrWise

DrWise
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,057
    mayweathers best fight against gatti and castillo
    De la hoya vs mayorga and vargas