1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

De-interlacing problems

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by SimonInd, Jan 1, 2004.

1. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I've recently started on a HTPC and am very pleased with results so far. Powerstrip is handling 1:1 mapping for my AE100 and the picture has never looked better. I've also just made my drive region free and thought I'd check out various disks to see how they looked. My R3 "Infernal Affairs" and "Kiki's Delivery Service" (both NTSC) showed some rather nasty interlacing artefacts, as did the R4 Pulp Fiction (PAL). From a bit of research it looks like frames are being combined incorrectly by the de-interlacer. I have a nVidea GX5200 card in the PC and am running PowerDVD as a player. Turning off Hardware acceleration has improved things ever-so slightly but I'd like to knock this one on the head completely if possible?

Do I need to get better DVD playing software? The PC is a P4 2.6GHz with 833MHz bus and 512MB of memory so it should be up to software decoding. Any advice would be appreciated, I'm quite new to this but am IT literate and have an electronics background.

Thanks

Simon

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    Go into PowerDVDs video tab, click 'advanced' and tick 'force weave'. That might fix it.

Some dvds aren't correctly flagged for content, so deinterlacers get confused and do the wrong thing sometimes. Forcing bob or weave can often correct this.

HTH

Gary.

3. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I don't seem to have an Advanced button on the video tab - possibly because this is software shipped with a new Dell PC. On the information tab it states weave as the method being used so I would guess I nead to force bob?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Simon

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    For film you need to force weave. Bob is for video (TV DVDs, Concerts etc). This is where Theatertek comes into its own, you can select film, video or auto at the pess of a button.