Dismiss Notice
We're migrating the forum software to the next major version and this will require the site to be down for the best part of Monday 16th.
More details here. Apologies for the inconvenience.

De-interlacers / Scalers in DVD Players

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by HenryHonda, Nov 6, 2005.

1. HenryHonda

HenryHonda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Firstly, thought about posting this in the DVD forum - but I reckon more knowledgeable folks in this one...

My first venture into the Plasma world is in progress, Panny 37PV500 on the way (haven't got the cash/space to set up a true home cinema + WAF problems!).

Current DVD player is Pio 565A - which I'm using via RGB SCART into Panny CRT. 565 will output component progressive scan, but only NTSC.

I'd like to take advantage of PV500 HDMI capability - so, was thinking of upgrading DVD to one with built-in de-interlacing + scaler. Was beginning to like the idea of the new Denon 1920 - but have read many posts on these forums about probs with macroblocking with Faroudja chipsets, also read about Silicon Image and Zoran chipsets. Now I'm confused :rolleyes: .

Bottom line:

1. I'm fully aware of the great benefits of a separate scaler (lots of good posts by Gordon & Piers :) ) but there's no way I can afford one at the moment.

2. I'm afraid of reduced PQ from my existing DVD when connected to PV500 (I can hear my other half ranting about 'waste of money' etc.) so want to maximise PQ at a sensible cost.

3. I agree, you get what you pay for... (which is why I'm seeking advice about my particular situation).

Advice please, on the best way to achieve better PQ at moderate cost (whatever that is!).

Thanks for any help/advice...

2. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I was in the same situation. I got the pio 575A from richersounds, set it to interlaced component. Why? because i doubt the de-interlacer in the dvd player would be any better than the screen itself.
    The result, superb pic through dvd/component.

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    PV500 is a plasma "television" rather than a plasma "panel"/monitor (i.e. 'PHD' range) and as such probably isn't quite as suitable for a scaler.

My mother has 42PV500, and recently replaced her DVD player with 'Samsung DVD-HD850 DVD Player with HDMI Digital Interface' (which includes HDMI cable in the box). Plugged HDMI into her PV500 and the picture is superb; much better than Sky via scart and built-in Freeview or her previous Sony DVD player.

It's actually quite difficult to decide if sending 480p/576p or 720p to screen looks better. But in the end I tended towards thinking it's better to send 480p/576p to screen as it can do the 10-bit scaling and turn DVD's 17 million colour picture into billions of colour one.

StooMonster

4. stebbo

stebbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think of John Dawson of Arcam when this question comes up. if you scale the standard dvd image using the DVD player it them has to be rescaled again to fit the plasma's exact pixel map. So two scales.

If you let the plasma do it them there is only one scale.

I would lean towards one scale rather than two.

5. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Yep, tried 576p from DVD to screen and 576i to scaler then 720p to screen, the first one wins hands down.

6. HenryHonda

HenryHonda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Yep, thanks guys - suspected as much :thumbsup: .

If I get the Denon 1920, but send a 576p to the PV500, reckon I'll get best PQ? Haven't fully got my head round de-interlacing & scaling yet - is the Denon macroblocking problem only caused when scaling to 720p or 1080i? Will I avoid it by effectively letting the Denon do the de-interlacing and the PV500 the scaling ?

Thanks for your help.

(P.S. Denon still interesting for my collection of SACDs and DVD-As)

7. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Yes that should give better PQ: one scaling operation, done by screen (not one by player and then another by screen); and screen's scaler upconverts bit-depth from 17 millions colours to billions of colours.

If the Denon 1920 will let you output 480i/576i over HDMI you could also experiment with screen doing the deinterlacing too; although its Faroudja 2301 deinterlacer is probably better than the one in the plasma.

StooMonster

8. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +944
    Yeah, you don't want to have two scaling operations because you will just get errors on top of errors.

Where you have a Denon DVDP that de-interlaces and upscales over HDMI, I don't think you even have the option to take 480i/576i - you have to use component. That's why so many people recommend expensive Arcams.

Nick