1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

De-interlacer Q (oh and hello all)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Boomy, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Boomy

Boomy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hi all,first time here so wanna go straight in at the deep end ;)
    After a new house purchase i decided to upgrade my old home cinema setup a little.
    Currently i now have a (non decorated yet!) dedicated room of around 18ish feet by 9 or10 feet with a Toshiba TDP-MT100 and a widescreen screen of around 92"x52".

Now the picture to me looks very very nice and fills that screen a treat,it also sounds nice in that room with a Yammy amp+some KEF bits and bobs...but,would i see an improvement on that DLP projector with a de-interlacer?It's not close up images by the way that are the problem,it's distant images where you can start to see the tiny dots/mirrors of the DLP Toshiba.That said,i am pretty fussy so most of my friends think it's just superb to view,i just wonder if its possible to get it slightly better lol.

I have to admit i am no expert when it comes to de-interlacers/scalers or whatever they are called,so i a nut shell...if i could get nearer to a 'DVD on a plasma' type quality for that projector,i would like to give it a go.

I know there is no point spending thousands as i may of well as just got a better projector,but are these 500ish quid de-interlacers worth the money and will i begin to see nearer CRT quality?

No matter how tempted i am,i just can't justify 10k or something on what i would REALLY like lol (she also agrees wholeheartedly) ;)

Tia.

2. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it is just the mirror pedestals effecting your viewing then no matter what you do to your source resolution, you will still see the same effects.

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,086
    I agree with Anders - it sounds like your seeing the actual DMD mirrors, so there's nothing that can be done about that except:

1. Sit further away.

2. Make image smaller, and stay sat where you are.

3. Defocus slightly

4. Use a lens filter which can help to reduce the perception of screen door.

5. Use a grey screen - some people who've changed from a white screen to a grey screen noticed a reduction in screen door.

HTH

Gary.

4. Boomy

Boomy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Excellent,thanks chaps,that saved me a few quid then lol.
    Like i say it's not that i am not impressed with this setup,it's just those long distance shots where you begin to notice it and i wasn't sure if there was a way round it.Even then,it's does not stop the enjoyment...i guess it's just me expecting too much from a relatively cheap DLP.