1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

De-gauzing?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Tommo24, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a purity problem in the top left of my FS76.

The engineers tried to fix it with the gun yesterday (5 times they tried). I am sure today that the picture is not as crisp and sometimes appears wavey. i.e. when putting up a channel box on sky the sides of the box are wavey?

Does de-gauzing affect a sets picture and if it does will the problems fade? Ironically the purity problem is still there!!

Thanks

Tom

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    De-gaussing (sic) should not affect picture geometry. The effect you describe (kinked/bent edges on what should be straight objects) is fairly typical of CRT TVs and results from inadequate components in the power supply. It can usually be substantially reduced by reducing contrast or brightness.

The only way to avoid this 'feature' completely is to use Plasma or LCD, although some more expensive CRT TVs have this aspect under better control than others.

And, if the de-gaussing has not cured the purity problem, more work needs to be done to the TV - unless it is caused by a nearby Louspeaker or something else with magnetism in it (perhaps a large steel radiator or similar, or an amplifier with a big transformer).

Purity problems can be cured (by a well-trained engineer). It is done by attaching small permanent magnets to the tube inside the set.

3. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good and helpful reply. Sounds like I could do with you trying to fix my sets problems.

Thanks again.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    Much as I'd like to help - I don't have the skills, only a high-level knowledge of what, but not exactly how. You need a competent TV engineer.