• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

ddr2 v ddr3 higher cas latency still worth it?

scotty78

Hi guys

Currently I have 4gb ddr2 crucial ballistix 4-4-4-12, recently one of my sticks started playing up and failed memtest, so I rma'd them and have just recieved my new 4gb.

While I was waiting on the rma I bought a stick of ddr2 to keep me ticking over. I have not opened the new 4gb and as im considering building a new system I am thinking about selling them and going for ddr3 as it looks like it wouldnt cost me any real money to change them over.

I have never overclocked my system in anyway tho I intended to so I dont know how much cas latencys would affect me.

If I got ddr3 to future proof the cas latencys would be higher which from reading here I take to mean slower, that said it would be ddr3 instead of ddr2 which I guess is faster.

Would I see any major improvement going for something like ocz 4gb ddr3 1333mhz/pc3 9-9-9-20 cl9?

Thanks

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Very few motherboards/processors support both DDR2 and DDR3.

The latencies are in number of cycles so despite the higher numbers they're not necessarily slower in real terms as the ram will be running faster.

However, clock speed and latency generally make very little difference in performance.

scotty78

Thanks as I plan on getting a new mobo anyway then I guess ddr3 is the way to go, even if it just means im future proofing myself a little

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom