1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ddr ram ??

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by ryanos, Feb 21, 2003.

1. ryanos

ryanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi All

Looking at building myself a new computer but I have hit a stumbling block!
    I have found a mother board that looks good but it says that it only runs on non ecc ddr ram as appose to ecc ddr ram anyone know the difference and the pros and cons between the two please?

Cheers Ryan

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ECC- error checking. Used on servers.

If you try and use ECC on a non-ECC motherboard (the vast majority of mainstream boards are non-ECC) it won't bootup.

Nathan

3. ryanos

ryanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the prompt reply Nathan

please excuse my lack of knowledge..... i'm guessing from your reply that it does not matter which I buy providing the motherboard and ram are compatabile? I won't be involved with servers and so on it is basically for home use

Cheers Ryan

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Server mobo's- use ECC ONLY

Mainstream mobo's- use non-ECC ONLY (unless stated to use ECC)

In the motherboard spec it should give info on what memory to use- spped (200/266/333), no of pins (ie 184 ), voltage (3.3V) etc.

If you buy a motherboard (ie with a Intel P4 566Mhz FSB CPU), then use the fastest memory speed the motherboard supports (so if it's got 200/333/400- use 400).

Nathan

5. ryanos

ryanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    once again Thanks Nathan
    Ok the motherboard I have seen states it uses " DIMMs up to 1.0GB of PC2100/1600 non ECC DDR memory support" Is this just normal ram or do i need to specifically buy non ecc as on ebuyer it just seems to list memory with no specifics although i have found specific non ecc ram, and this is dearer sorry to bug you but I really am a novice and do not want to purchase the wrong stuff...lol

Cheers Ryan

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What motherboard is it?

have a look here www.scan.co.uk
    and look at the motherboard page and the memory page. It'll show the PC2100 as 266.

Dunno why they do this- it confused the hell out of me as well.

Buy decent memory- do not buy el cheapo stuff.

7. ryanos

ryanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers again Nathan your help is much appreciated!

Its a asus a7n-266 ..............on the ram front is Kingston any good?

8. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Use Crucial, they make the best memory in the world IMO and they sell online in the UK, very fast delivery.

www.crucial.com/uk

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a look- that mobo takes DDR 266, so you'll want at least 512MB of PC2100 266.

Memory is a quirky thing- I would go for (esp since AMD) the Corsair XMS. Expensive, but I'm pretty sure AMD need HQ memory. Check the AMD website.

Personally I wouldn't touch AMD with a bargepole. Every AMD machine (K6-2/K6-3/Duron/Athlon) is unstable- reboots without warning, crashes etc etc.

Also the VIA chipset is the biggest pile of horse ****.

My laptop (Intel P4) has been switched on for over 2 months continously. Hasn't crashed once. I would recommend you go for a Intel CPU with a Intel chipset motherboard.

Nathan

10. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    I've bought from Crucial and they deliver next day. One good thing, you can download a tool that will tell you exactly what RAM will be best for your computer - or you can type in the model of the motherboard and let it advise you.

11. ryanos

ryanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers for the replies guys and thanks Nathan for going to the trouble of checking out the mobo :smashin: u r too helpfull!!

My mind is even more of a pickle than when I started so perhaps back to the drawing board me thinks........at least the ram issue is cleared up:D

Thanks Again

Ryan

12. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    That is not really true, I run an Athlon XP on an EPOX motherboard and it rarely ever crashes. I had a Duron 600 that was the stablest chip I have ever had and is still truckin. As long as you keep your system up to date with the best drivers (not necessarily latest :p) and buy good quality components there should not be a problem.

A lot of the time, these problems are due to the fact that people do not have adequate cooling fans or PSU's. It has little to do with the chipset or chip.

13. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Well RME no longer recommend any AMD platforms for audio PCs and many people who bought the Holo3Dgraph card had to replace AMD motherboards and CPU with Intel based. Just a couple of examples where AMD doesn't cut it.

14. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find it odd that people buy ADM chips. Although cheaper than Intel, I'm sure by the time you have bought the reccommended memory and a bigger PSU it must work out more expensive than just buying an Intel processor. :laugh: :hiya:

15. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,922
    Straight from the Crucial website:

Description:
    Can I use memory with ECC on a board that does not support ECC?
    _
    Solution:
    Most motherboards that do not have an ECC function within the BIOS are still able to use a module with ECC, but the module will run in non-ECC mode. Keep in mind, there are some cases where the motherboard will not accept an ECC module, depending on the BIOS programming. The only sure-fire way to test this is to place the module in the motherboard and see if the BIOS will recognise the memory addition.

16. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,922
    Complete tripe. When was the last time you used an AMD chip?

Most of the problems that were there came from, as you said, the early VIA chipsets. I've never had major problems with any of my AMD chips using various chipsets from the later VIA, AMD and the new Nforce2.

They've all been just as reliable as the P3 I used to run.

17. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,922
    Whilst the Sgt. takes a more light hearted approach at AMD bashing it's far from the truth :)

Recomended memory? Oh you mean the run of the mill SDRAM/DDR RAM.
    Bigger PSU? Oh, the mighty beast that is known as 350w

;)

18. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lmao Des :p

When I was looking at upgrading my PC. I'm sure the memory was going to cost about £10 more per stick than if I bought an Intel chip and a change of PSU that was another £30. All in all it was £50. on top. So add that to the price of your ADM chip and I'm sure it was a little more expensive than the Intel chip. :smoke:

19. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    My problems have always been caused by the VIA 4-in-1 drivers. So my newest computer is Intel.

20. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,922
    There's nothing unusual about the RAM or the PSU that an AMD machine needs so not sure why you seem to have come across any differences.

This is my point. It's the early VIa chipset that was at fault, not the AMD CPU.
    There are plenty of reliable, stable chipsets to choose from now.

21. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Sgt. that is not exactly true.

With an Intel system you still need to buy a decent PSU, I am not simply talking Wattage on the box, but a good quality PSU that delivers what it says. This is especially true when PSU requirements are being driven more and more by GPUs.

Memory for Intel was a lot more expensive, RIMM memory is horrendously expensive. Now you can buy normal DIMMs. I can't see how you worked out memory for AMD was more expensive when it is exactly the same if not cheaper depending on the mobo.

I have had problems with AMD and in a knee jerk reaction due to blowing another chip due to a faulty HSF I was going to upgrade to INTEL. However, after weighing up the costs I decided to get an Athlon 2200+ for 77 quid (inc VAT) instead of paying 300+ to update to a Intel 2.4 (£130 inc VAT) with an ASUS P4PE and 512 megs of PC2700.

BTW...... there is no use for PC3200 DIMMS currently unless you are a heavy user of 3D Studio Max. According to Toms Hardware, standard PCs with 2700 actually benchmarked quicker with real life apps. Strange but true.

22. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sinzer.

I'm just a die hard Intel fan. :smashin:

And damn scan and their useless advise. :laugh:

23. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whatever. AMD = crap.

I would rather pay £100 extra for a Intel CPU, than a AMD at half the price. I do not want my PC to reboot without warning.

It just shows the support Microsoft give AMD in their OS's (none)- do you need to install CPU patches in Windows? No. Does a Intel based motherboard suddenly reboot with cheap PSU in a fresh Windows install? no. AMD's are not running at stock core speed- they are overclocked. Intel CPU & chipsets are rock stable.

Even with no Intel-drivers installs- it's stable. Installing the AGP/new IDE drivers just makes it faster.

I would NEVER recommend a AMD. It's good that the company exists, purely so Intel don't have a monopoly.

This company upgraded from all Intel PC's (say 1Ghz) to faster AMD systems, say 2Ghz. The new computers lock up all the time, and they are in fact slower than the Intel's in certain applications.

Nathan

24. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,922
    Are AMD crap in the same way you said Seagate IDE hard drives are pants?

25. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let's see..

Brand new AMD PC....loading up the Windows 2000 CD-ROM installation....crash. Installed OS. Installed Word (occasionally crashes) Installed VIA 4-in-1 driver, 3D driver/DX/Sound, 3D Mark 2001- crashes. Install SP, IE6. IE occasionally crashes. 3D Mark still crashes.

Did another install- put SP first, then Via 4-in-1. Still crashes.
    Also tried XP, still occasionally crashes.

Do you know of the problem with Promise/Adaptec IDE controller on a VIA motherboard? VIA use a different PCI transfer method, much slower than Intel.

Nathan

26. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,922
    There is a key word that keeps popping up in your post, as well as others posts who moan about AMD.

That key word is VIA

27. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    Correct - VIA is the problem I believe. The next AMD based system I do will probably use the NForce2 chipset.