1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DD5.1 out via SPDIF from WMV-9 HD movie

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Jameson, May 4, 2005.

1. Jameson

Jameson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

Can anyone pls explain how to get the DD5.1 sound out via SPDIF on a movie encoded with windows media video 9 professional.
    I'm using MP10 and/or PWRDvD6 and have installed the 1.01 AC3 filter.
    I get DD sound out from MP10 but not in 5.1. From PwrDVD i only get stereo. Prefer PwrDVD because of the pict quality.

Anyone can give a hint on what to do ?

Appreciate.

Live well//Jameson, Sweden :thumbsup:

2. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +844
    Hi,

You need to enable a few settings in a few areas on your PC.

1)go to control panel and the 1st icon should be AC3Filter config, execute it and select SPDIF in speakers tab and then select mixer tab at the top, then do the same again in speakers tab, then select system tab at the top and check that AC3 decoder and directsound are both selected.

2)Start PowerDVD and select configuration, then audio, click the pulldown tab within the speaker environment section and select SPDIF.

If after you have changed these settings you still have problems then you may need to purchase a plugin for powerDVD to enable DD and DTS, check their web site.

Let me know if you need more help!

Cheers.

3. Jameson

Jameson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dr HTPC,

I now have the DD5.1 working from MP10, following your instructions configuring the AC3 filter. So that's some nice progress. Thanks a lot!
    Still, my pwrDvD just outputs 96khz stereo. Playing a DVD from pwrDvD nicely puts out DD5.1 on the SPDIF, but when playing the WMV-9 pro file, i get no response from the settings made in the AC3. Still the led meters in the AC3 detects audio and the ac3 is activated when i start the movie in pwrDvD.

Appreciate all the hints there are .. :)

//Jameson, Swede guy :thumbsup:

4. RLT

RLT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    WMV 5.1 TRACKS on movies and Imax WMV-9 discs are in analog surround only and require a real time encoder such as found on the old stormforce equiped M/Boards or the more recently released Mystique sound cards with Dolby Digital LIVE Real Time encoder chip, converting the analog 5.1 to DD 5.1 on the fly.
    Mine works a treat on my WMV-9 Imax films.

5. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +844
    Hi,

Agree with the above post, PowerDVD is really for DVD's.

Try WMP10 for avi, mpeg files etc.. that require a special codec (make sure you install the required codec first).

If you need help in finding the required codecs then do a search an download a program called G-Spot and drag the avi file into it, it will tell you what codecs are installed and what you need!(n.b this only works for Avi files)

Regards.

6. Jameson

Jameson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for good help.

It now works fine playing wmv-9 pro from MP10 using the ac3 1.01 codec. Get DD5.1 out to the home cinema through the SPDIF.

Nice picture and sound. 5th element requested by the young of the household for tonight (wmv-9 HD).

Have a nice weekend and thanks again.

//Swe-Jameson :thumbsup:

7. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +844
    Hey No probs!

Enjoy :)

8. bert6801

bert6801
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what does it mean Im missing if the AC3config is missing in my control panel?

When I play a DVD ....dolby digital comes through the SPDIF just fine

when I play a MKV file that has DD,,,,it does fine as well.

But anything I have using WM9 or WM10 audio that is 5.1 comes through as stereo only.

I have been trying to get all the codecs configured the past few days....now ONLY FFDshow is installed and Matroska. It seems to do all I need....BUT THIS. Funny how only WMvideo is the only thing giving me problems. PLEASE HELP

9. bert6801

bert6801
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need to clarify my problem. When I have power dvd installed. When I play a DVD inside of wmp.... dolby and dts passthrough the SPDIF fine, when I play a MKV file through media player (using Haali Media splitter and FFDshow) it passes dolby through just fine too. My only issue that I know of right now is when playing wm9-10 advanced profile that has 5.1 encoded. I even went to microsofts website and downloaded the wm10 advanced codec demo (flying jets dogfighting) to make sure I had a good source to test with. I know my files work since some of the wmv's Im playing play fine with my xbox360 and kick out dolby through it. So my problem is ONLY when using wm9-10 files. ideas anyone?

10. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Power DVD has it's on AC3 decoder so 5.1 WMA to 5.1 AC3 will not work....

11. bert6801

bert6801
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont understand,,,,Im using wmp to play the files...not powerdvd. Are u saying I need to remove powerdvd??

12. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    YOu have to use media player or another program which supports the use of 3rd part codecs, wouldn't it be easier buyng a card with a DOlby Digital live, that way it will encode any source to Dolby for you whether stereo or 5.1, no need ot mess with codecs, or you could buy a new amp which support the WMA Digital Bitstream...

13. bert6801

bert6801
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the idea of a new amp is out....I paid like 400 for this one and it sounds great!.....but the audio card your speaking of might be worth a go. What card do u suggest. I was watching a few audigy cards on ebay. Creative has always been great on sound cards for me in the past. Even my current running sound blast LIVE card does wonders....and its ancient by computer standards now. Creative doesnt even support the LIVE 5.1 cards anymore.

14. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266