1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DD vs DTS

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by mobily, Feb 29, 2004.

1. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello all,

Is there any discernable difference between DTS and DD? I have tried both and any difference I can hear I think is myself straining my ears to try and hear something that isn't there.

I read that DTS is better, but maybe the difference can only be heard on high end av hardware?

Thanks,

James :)

2. Ryan

Ryan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is really disc dependant.

For example Saving Private Ryan has a much better DTS soundtrack but Apollo 13 has a better DD soundtrack.

Generally speaking there is very little difference (putting my hard hat on now for the flak to come).

Ryan

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    No flak as you are absolutely correct. I have some great DTS discs that are much better than the DD versons and some where the DD version is much better than the DTS

4. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    If you do a forum search You'll find a fair few threads & heated debates about this. This subject is probably the most talked about here IMO...

5. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    I prefer DTS, it is not just that it is louder but you get to hear things you would not in dolby digital.
    DTS is less compressed so you should be able to pick sounds up you would not hear in 5.1 though dts takes more disc room.

6. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +855
    Is there anywhere that reviews DVD's and always mentions which of the two (if available), is the best overall for a particular title? - short of watching a film twice to find out yourself, i would rather have the info for the first time i watch a film:)

Dean

7. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yes - we do . Check out any of the reviews done on these forums for exactly the kind of info you require. And as a reviewer - my two pence worth. It depends on the encoding, and I would defy anyone on blind listening to tell a good DTS from a good DD track. Generally on the discs I have listened to with both, there has either been no difference or the DTS has edged it, sometime significantly. (I can't believe I allowed myself to get drawn into a DTS vs DD debate. DOH!) :)

8. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Here's the link ;)

Sigs

9. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,011
    Here we go:rolleyes:

10. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    DTS is one louder than Dobly as it goes up to 11, Dobly only goes up to 10 ;)

11. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dolby tends to use dialnorm and DTS does not so the volume levels are different, having said that try this, Put in the DTS version of SPEED and compare the music soundtrack to the Dolby version. The intricate nuances of Mark Mancinas' percussion instruments are a blur on the DD track, whereas the DTS track reproduces these subtle shadings with improved clarity, soundstaging and pinpoint instrument placement.
    This is a consistent quality I find inherent with DTS. Music always reveals the superior SQ of DTS vs. DD (( Speed DTS Region 1: CH 5 12:07 after they kick the door open, listen to percussion elements of the music. In DTS it's very detailed, on the DD track, blurry))

Many Quote the DTS version of Saving Private Ryan or indeed the DTS version of The Haunting but both used completely different masters thus you cannot compare the 2 different codecs on these particular films, the same is true of the DTS version of Dances With Wolves it uses a different master for its source as does the DTS version of Criterions The Rock.

I believe i read somewhere that the compression rate isn't the only factor, isnt Dolby working at a 36millisecond delay factor where DTS uses 10millisecond delay for its codec, take that into account and it shows that Dolby is more efficient at lower bitrates and DTS needs higher bitrates just to keep the same level of sound quality, basically Dolby at 754 kb/s would blow DTS at the same bitrate out of the water, when Hd-DVD gets released Dolby will probably use 640kb/s for DVD and most titles will sound superior to DTS if halfbitrate is used, probably identical if Fullbitrate is used unless a different master is used for the DTS film titles and thats where the differences in sound are heard. if the same master is used then calibrate your systems and that includes the surround channels and usually there is no difference.

I for one hope the next generation of DVD will bring a superior sound format to the home and hopefully MLP will be the chosen sound format.