DD vs DTS

mobily

Novice Member
Hello all,

Is there any discernable difference between DTS and DD? I have tried both and any difference I can hear I think is myself straining my ears to try and hear something that isn't there.

I read that DTS is better, but maybe the difference can only be heard on high end av hardware?

Thanks,

James :)

R

Ryan

It is really disc dependant.

For example Saving Private Ryan has a much better DTS soundtrack but Apollo 13 has a better DD soundtrack.

Generally speaking there is very little difference (putting my hard hat on now for the flak to come).

Ryan

Ian J

Banned
Originally posted by Ryan
It is really disc dependant.

Generally speaking there is very little difference (putting my hard hat on now for the flak to come).
No flak as you are absolutely correct. I have some great DTS discs that are much better than the DD versons and some where the DD version is much better than the DTS

Grimley

If you do a forum search You'll find a fair few threads & heated debates about this. This subject is probably the most talked about here IMO...

tony kop77

I prefer DTS, it is not just that it is louder but you get to hear things you would not in dolby digital.
DTS is less compressed so you should be able to pick sounds up you would not hear in 5.1 though dts takes more disc room.

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
I have some great DTS discs that are much better than the DD versons and some where the DD version is much better than the DTS
Is there anywhere that reviews DVD's and always mentions which of the two (if available), is the best overall for a particular title? - short of watching a film twice to find out yourself, i would rather have the info for the first time i watch a film:)

Dean

docsmith2k1

Novice Member
Yes - we do . Check out any of the reviews done on these forums for exactly the kind of info you require. And as a reviewer - my two pence worth. It depends on the encoding, and I would defy anyone on blind listening to tell a good DTS from a good DD track. Generally on the discs I have listened to with both, there has either been no difference or the DTS has edged it, sometime significantly. (I can't believe I allowed myself to get drawn into a DTS vs DD debate. DOH!) :)

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Originally posted by crazzy kopite
DTS is less compressed so you should be able to pick sounds up you would not hear in 5.1 though dts takes more disc room.
Here we go:rolleyes:

F

FoxyMulder

Dolby tends to use dialnorm and DTS does not so the volume levels are different, having said that try this, Put in the DTS version of SPEED and compare the music soundtrack to the Dolby version. The intricate nuances of Mark Mancinas' percussion instruments are a blur on the DD track, whereas the DTS track reproduces these subtle shadings with improved clarity, soundstaging and pinpoint instrument placement.
This is a consistent quality I find inherent with DTS. Music always reveals the superior SQ of DTS vs. DD (( Speed DTS Region 1: CH 5 12:07 after they kick the door open, listen to percussion elements of the music. In DTS it's very detailed, on the DD track, blurry))

Many Quote the DTS version of Saving Private Ryan or indeed the DTS version of The Haunting but both used completely different masters thus you cannot compare the 2 different codecs on these particular films, the same is true of the DTS version of Dances With Wolves it uses a different master for its source as does the DTS version of Criterions The Rock.

I believe i read somewhere that the compression rate isn't the only factor, isnt Dolby working at a 36millisecond delay factor where DTS uses 10millisecond delay for its codec, take that into account and it shows that Dolby is more efficient at lower bitrates and DTS needs higher bitrates just to keep the same level of sound quality, basically Dolby at 754 kb/s would blow DTS at the same bitrate out of the water, when Hd-DVD gets released Dolby will probably use 640kb/s for DVD and most titles will sound superior to DTS if halfbitrate is used, probably identical if Fullbitrate is used unless a different master is used for the DTS film titles and thats where the differences in sound are heard. if the same master is used then calibrate your systems and that includes the surround channels and usually there is no difference.

I for one hope the next generation of DVD will bring a superior sound format to the home and hopefully MLP will be the chosen sound format.