DD TVs used in stereo only

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Matt F, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I, like many of you, have a pretty decent AV set-up and therefore have no need for a TV with 5 speakers and surround sound.

However, most of the 36" sets I covet now come complete with DD/DTS/Prologic decoding and the accompanying set of speakers.

My question is -

Is it possible to use these sets in a stereo-only configuration, using just the two left/right speakers within the TV? :confused:

This would be needed when I just want the sound from the TV without firing up my full AV system e.g. etc. when watching the news etc.

Look forward to your advice,

Thanks,

Matt.

2. Spencem

Spencem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have a Toshiba 36" DD set and a seperate sound system which pre-dates it, and so have not implimented the TV's external speakers. We often just use it's built in pair of speakers rather than fire up the sound system, partidualy when my 5 year old is watching BBC Choice, or as you say the news.

3. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The Tosh 36" can operate with the teo built-in speakers acting in stereo mode.

It's got a switch on the back which indicates whether or not you've connected the separate front speakers. With the switch in position 'A', you get stereo from the built-in speakers, and in 'B', they act as the centre speaker.

I used the TV in mode 'A' for a couple of weeks while waiting for the speakers to arrive (they weren't in the box when it was delivered), and found that the sound was quite acceptable.

Nigel