• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

DD+ shows as DTS on amp.

Lord Bunky

Does any body elses DD+ sound tracks on HD DVD show as DTS on their amps using optical lead?

Cheers.

M

musicman1999

Because that is all it is capable of outputting over optical or ccoax.Your player downconverts everything to dts.
You need to use 6 channel analog outs od hdmi.

bill

Lord Bunky

Thanks m8...was trying to show some chap on here that DD+ converts to DTS (if DTS is on your amp). I showed him back up, and he said its just hearsay and it only converts to 640kbps. :suicide:

Sejour

Standard Member
m'Lord,

You are quite correct. The DD decoding chip is only capable of processing 640kbps, whilst DTS decoders can handle 1.5mbsp. So DD+ is sent as a DTS bitstream. DD+ is not downconverted via DTS, it has already been compressed to a peak of 1.5mbps.

I assume Musicman is talking about Dolby TrueHD

city fan

Hmm my amp is DTS capable, but I'm sure when I've got DD+ on a HD-DVD my amp still show the DD sign, not DTS :confused: The sound does seem a lot better the normal DD though.

I may need to double check.....

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
All DTS is processed as Core at 1500mbs which all recevers can read. DD+ cannot be read by these same receivers so they convert DD+ to DTS for output. This happens at 640mbs or 1500mbs data rates. It is a great system.

DeKurver

AFAIK only the G1 standalone players transcode from DD+ and TrueHD to 1.5Mbps DTS via optical/coax bitstream. The G2 standalone players transcode to 640kbps DD.

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
Exactly right, Which is why I purchased another G1 system over a G2 this week :) There is a rumour of a DTS output upgrade however, unconfirmed.

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
Actually that's only half right. The HD-E1 converts to DTS, the XE1 converts to DD... Go figure. I suppose Toshiba thought if you had the XE1 over the E1 you'd use the analogue outputs.

TrevorS

Never knew that, learn something new every day :)

As it turns out, a number of people buying the XA2 (U.S. version of XE1) were/are very disappointed to see that DTS crosscode disappear. This was communicated to Toshiba and "insider" feedback indicates a user selectable menu option should be included in a future FW update. So, something to look forward to :)!

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
No DTS encode from an XE1 would have been a deal killer for me anyway but another old G1 player was bought primarily 'other' reasons. So I am still happy.

MAW

Banned
I'm happy with jittery HDMI, easily pleased, that's me. Actually, with DD+, I can't tell the difference between the DTS output via optical and PCM 5.1 via HDMI, except for 1 thing: I have a 7.1 system, I can get remixed 71. off the DTS but 5.1 PCM is output only to 5 channels. You can clearly hear a difference with THD tracks though, well worth sacrificing the extra 2 channels.

city fan

Actually that's only half right. The HD-E1 converts to DTS, the XE1 converts to DD... Go figure. I suppose Toshiba thought if you had the XE1 over the E1 you'd use the analogue outputs.

Ah so thats why I see DD on my amp. So this means at present I'm only getting 640kbps until a new firmware update. Does the E1 output at 1.5 mbps then? I thought they would be the same over optical/co-axial. XE1 sound is good though!

rob_finch

Sorry to threadjack, but I wanted to confirm something similar to the OP before I took the plunge.

I'm probably getting the E1 soon, but have limited inputs on my amp free (a Yamaha YSP-1). Does the E1 have coaxial out? And if so, can it output 1.5Mbps or just 640kbps? I think the YSP is going to be the weakest link in the setup, but presume the E1 will give me the best sound source it can output.

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
Sorry to threadjack, but I wanted to confirm something similar to the OP before I took the plunge.

I'm probably getting the E1 soon, but have limited inputs on my amp free (a Yamaha YSP-1). Does the E1 have coaxial out? And if so, can it output 1.5Mbps or just 640kbps? I think the YSP is going to be the weakest link in the setup, but presume the E1 will give me the best sound source it can output.
No coax output, optical only on the E1. However it does output 1.5mbps DTS over optical.

TrevorS

As Ian indicates, the E1 is indeed capable of giving you VERY good sound, as long as you are at least able to accept a Toslink DTS digital audio input. I see the YSP-1 sports two Toslink connectors as well as DTS decoding, so hopefully you would be able to put it all together :). (If you've run out of Toslink connectors, then I've heard Tolink to coax converters exist, though I don't know where to look for them.)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom