1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DD or DTS

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by droolinggimp, May 26, 2004.

1. droolinggimp

droolinggimp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok I just joined this site. You lot probably already had this question but i need to know myself..

Q. Dolby Digital :thumbsdow or DTS :thumbsup: ?

Whats your fav and why is it...
    OK i can see where this is going.. Nowhere! All I wanted was A simple answer
    eg: "I prefer DD because its sound smooth!" or "I like DTS because Its in your face totaly immersed surround sound..."

Just a couple of examples..
    Me... I prefer DTS because I can hear more effects which adds more to the film I am watching.. Im not being very technical about the reason why i prefer DTS, because I dont need to be. I know what I like to hear and thats why I choose this sound format.. Dont get me wrong theres nothing wrong with DD, theres some really good soundtrack out there. I just wish there was a choice on ALL dvds to select DTS.

Chris

2. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Haven't seen this one before... :rolleyes:

3. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Nothing wrong with Dolby Digital - why the :thumbsdow ?

4. pinky3003

pinky3003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    dolby digital is a second rate poor cousin to DTS.....stick your dutes up!!!!

5. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I personally don't have a preference as they both sound the same to me.

I'm more fussed that a film should be well directed, acted, and written.

6. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    No point discussing this if people are just going to talk rubbish. Are you saying that every Warner DVD has a 'second rate' soundtrack? Ever heard of The Matrix? :rolleyes:

7. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Strange that you can't tell the difference, I think DTS is far superior to DD. Indeed DTS is the whole reason why I went multi region, though I'm pleased to see that a lot more region 2 films are now giving us the choice.

I wholly endorse your second point though. I feel the primary role of a film is to tell a good story well, though obviously good cinematography and matching soundtrack enhances the final product.

Hmmm, am I talking rubbish? I'm not saying DD is poor, just that DTS is, in my opinion, better. Wouldn't it be interesting to hear a DTS version of "The Matrix"?

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,542
    there is very little between them

9. droolinggimp

droolinggimp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can you imagine the Matriz in DTS! That would probably one of the best films around. I got all 3 of them and wouldnt hesitate in buying them if they were to be in DTS..

Im in the UK and theres is a few mure DTS discs coming out every week, which is good news to me.

For you people out there who say they cant tell the difference between DD and DTS then I would suggest watching Final Destination2 and The fast and the Furious. Watch both in DD then watch them again in DTS. I can tell you, you WILL tell the difference.

DTS forever.. :thumbsup:

10. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to the forums...but why ask if you've already made up your mind... :confused:
    Use the "search" tab at the top of this page and you will see that this subject has been flogged to death.
    You'll find the majority of people here are on the dts bandwagon...but personally, I think a well mastered DD track will be as good, if not better, than a dts track on a DVD...
    If you want to hear just how good dts can be, I suggest you get hold of a laserdisc player and a copy of either Casper of Jurassic Park in full bit rate dts. Nice...

11. droolinggimp

droolinggimp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The reason why I asked is I would like to hear everyones opinion on this matter
    True about the Wellmastered DD track compared to DTS there is a few good DD films out there but 90% of the time DTS will be better

True I have made my mind up. no harm in asking

12. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree - no harm in asking at all. However, if you carry out the search, you'll find that TECHNICALLY dts isn't always better. There is one thread in particular that has some excellent links in it...I'll find it for you and post a link...

Edit: Here you go. It's a very long thread, but well worth the read

MODS: ANY CHANCE WE COULD MAKE THE ABOVE LINK A STICKY? SOME EXCELLENT STUFF IN IT, AND WOULD PROBABLY HELP NEW MEMBERS ALSO... :thumbsup:

13. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I was referring to the post I quoted from:

DD is not 'second rate', as it was put. I admit, I usually opt for the DTS soundtrack myself, given the choice, as I find that there is more definition in the bass and the rear speakers, but that doesn't mean DD is no good. In some cases, the only real difference between a DD and a DTS soundtrack is the volume. There are instances also, where DTS is much better than the DD track, i.e., Saving Private Ryan, and Black Hawk Down Superbit DTS, to name but a couple. The problem I have with DTS is that sometimes you can't have the volume at reference level, due to having neighbours, kids in bed, etc, and DD does allow the option of flattening the dynamics, so you can at least hear the dialogue and the action without keep turning the volume up and down.

Yes, I would love to hear The Matrix in DTS, along with countless others, which have so far been denied the option of a DTS soundtrack by Warners.

14. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    It's not something I ever consider when I buy/rent a DVD.
    I just get whichever version is available - usually R2, sometimes R1.
    Even if there is a difference, I would never own both versions to be able to do a comparison so I would never notice if there is any.

15. RobTheLegend

RobTheLegend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Hello mate,
    I used to be on the dts bandwagon myself! i allways assumed dts was better without even giving dolby digital a day in court.
    In my opinion there is very little difference exept the volume, but once dolby is set up to the same volume i cant here any difference.
    I bet anyone doing a blind test with volumes set the same would be hard pushed to distinguish betwen the two.
    There are awesome dts tracks and also awesome dolby tracks(i.e underworld).
    Just my opinion
    Rob

16. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes, Underworld is awesome in DD. It's even louder than some of my DTS DVDs! :D

17. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Underworld in DTS and i would say its equally awesome ( can't compare to your Dolby track so won't say it sounds better )

These threads never get anywhere we just all start arguing about why we think one sound format is better than the other, much better would be if the studios gave us a choice of Fullbitrate DTS or Dolby on every release that way we can all be satisfied but of course it won't ever happen.

Psssstt I prefer DTS :)

18. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,348
    I personally prefer dts over dd as i think it sounds a lot punchier and more crisp. I wont put dd down in the slightest though as there both very good in different ways.

It purely depends what you like at the end of the day IMHO

tris

19. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,542
    How does loudness make it better? :confused:

20. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I didn't say it did! Although, now you've said it, I agree. ;)

I was merely making the point that the DD soundtrack on Underworld is louder than 'usual' for DD, and therefore, at reference level, makes a higher impact. There can be little debate that it is a fantastic soundtrack, and well on par, if not better, than many DTS soundtracks.

21. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you heard the DTS version of Underworld to compare ?

Bold statement to make and without a comparision to the DTS version it is hard to make a complete and accurate judgment call on which is better.

22. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Is it me? :rolleyes: Sorry if I'm not making myself clear, but I wasn't comparing the DD Underworld with the DTS Underworld, as I haven't heard the DTS Underworld. I am saying that, in my opinion, the DD soundtrack on Underworld, is comparable to, if not better than, some other DTS soundtracks, which I have heard.

I'll get me coat... :D

23. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what you are in effect saying is that dts tracks are louder than DD tracks...not necessarily better. The DD track on Underworld is at least 4db louder than the average DD track...why not just turn up your amp by 4db's for every film you have that has only DD, and viola - dts!!

:D

24. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In which case i would retort that the DTS version of Underworld must be better than all Dolby encoded discs and probably your version of Underworld if i wished to start a heated debate which of course i do not :)

DTS is not just louder it is sonically in some ways a better codec, to give one example Dolby sends some of the 0.1 Bass channel to each of the front speakers which adds a little distortion while DTS delivers all of the 0.1 Bass channel to the Subwoofer unless of course you have chosen a different method using your amplifier.

DTS delivers a much more coherent soundfield than Dolby and it has nothing to do with the bitrate and has everything to do with the codec, when you hear an effect such as a sound moving from the front to the rear it sounds more cohesive and more structured and realistic than when you hear the Dolby equivalent.

There are some bad DTS discs out there but i would say in a side by side comparison that even the bad discs are equal to the Dolby equivalent soundtrack and thus even when DTS is bad it is still the equal of Dolby.

Many people would point out a soundtrack such as Star Wars Attack Of The Clones as showing how good Dolby can be but i would put it to you that if we were given a choice of a DTS track on the Star Wars disc then it would sound even more sonically impressive than what it already sounds like.

The only times differences are not heard is when you compare many older film's or films which never had a DTS cinema soundtrack, compare films on DVD which had a DTS cinema soundtrack to the Dolby equivalent and they sound much smoother more rounded and fuller and just more satisfying.

25. droolinggimp

droolinggimp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not sounding big headed but i could tell the difference between DD and DTS blind. I will try this out with a few friends this weekend.
    I will try out 10 films with both soundtracks and i will post you the results of how many i corrcetly identify..
    I will truthfully post the results here (no point liying to myself)

26. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Here's what I actually said earlier:

So, yes, your analogy is fair to a point. :)

27. RobTheLegend

RobTheLegend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Hi droolinggimp
    I would be interested in seeing your results :smashin:
    Do you have a spl meter to calibrate both volumes the same?Because if you dont then you'll defo be able to distinguish between them blind.

28. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couple of bold statements Foxy...you are actually saying there that a badly coded dts disc sounds better than a perfectly coded DD disc...may I turn your attention to the R1 version of Casper? Apparently, the dts is way behind the DD version on this particular disc. Scientifically proved over on AVS. In fact, was it not YOU that pointed this out in my link above...? (Just a question, not an accusation as I haven't read the whole thread again and can't rightly remember...)

As for the Star Wars in dts...get youreself a copy of the THX demo disc. The pod race is on it in DD EX and DTE ES...sounds way over the top in both formats if you ask me...
    As good as DVD is, IMHO, you can not beat a well encoded laserdisc soundtrack...be it DD or DTS.

29. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I personnaly think its more down to the mastering of the disc and the skill of the engineer who recorded it. As an example Gary Rydstrom (excuse if I spelt his name wrong) stuff always sounds awsome. But it cant be ignored that Dolby uses compression of 12:1 where as DTS use 4:1. Its a pretty small bit pool of info that Dolby has to cope with on complex surround tracks. On the whole I generally prefer DTS as I think it sounds clearer and more natural where as Dolby can sound a bit mechanical at times. But I still think it comes down to the skill of the engineer to make the best of the system he/she is using.

30. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dolby Digital does not do this.

Perhaps you can detail what precisely the codec differences are that produce such a dramatic difference. Unless, of course, this is simply a personal opinion being stated as fact.

As stated above, are you saying that a DTS soundtrack, regardless of the quality of its compression or mastering will never sound worse than an equivalent Dolby Digital soundtrack? You'll have to forgive me, but that's very difficult to swallow.

These figures no longer reflect current practice. More reliable figures would be 10:1 for Dolby Digital and 6:1 for DTS. In any case, simple compression ratios can never be used as a valid basis for comparison when the compression systems being compared are fundamentally different.

As a general side-note, it's all well and good having a preference for one format or another, but attempting to support your preference with incorrect information or by selectively pointing out the flaws of the one format while ignoring those of the other is just pointless. A little more common sense and a little less blind tribalism wouldn't go amiss in these sorts of threads.

Adam