1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DD Mono: Lex DC-1: Centre speaker only?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by banman, Apr 24, 2005.

1. banman

banman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I was looking forward to watching For a Few Dollars More again last night through my 'new' 5.1 setup, but the sound was only coming out of the centre speaker .. my mate did laff ... :-/

Now I know the film is recorded is dolby digital mono, but hey the TV spews this out of both speakers, so why cant lexicon DC-1 at least do the same?!

I tried cycling through all the effect modes, but no change. I even tried disabling the centre speaker, but still the same.

Am I missing something obvious? Or can the DC-1 not handle :dd:Mono?:eek: !

Thanks,
    B.

2. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,
    Can you give us the settings on the 'DVD INPUT Config' screen? To get there go to setup-input - config - dvd.
    You can play it it in 2-channel stereo mode or other modes as well. Were you playing in Logic-7 mode?

3. banman

banman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi bbanduser,

The velodyne is working great :D still trying to find best settings. But fills room nicely.

Here's settings while watching the DVD - the effect reads 2.0 Logic 7 and its detected AC-3 as the audio type.

Gain OFF
    PCMFX LOGIC 7
    AC3 FX 5.1 Logic 7
    DTS FX DTS Logic 7
    FX Format Auto
    Audio In Coax-1
    Video In DVD
    Rec/Zone 2 Analog
    Trigger Enable

I can hear 99% out of the centre and the fronts just about 1% which sounds lie its some bass thumps here and there. Fronts are set to large and centre to small cut off at 120Hz. (No sides or surrounds are set)

if i press 2-channel on the remote still flips to 2.0 Logic 7.

Thanks,
    B.

4. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Can you try setting the PCM FX to 2 channel and see if you can change it to 2 channel? I have it set like this, and I can change it to 2 channel and also to Music logic 7.

Glad to hear that the Velodyne is doing well. The search for the best settings is always fun isn't it (yeah right!)?

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I think you'll find that your processor is handling a digital mono signal just as it's supposed to. I havn't yet come across a processor that doesn't decode in this manner - obviously it should be an easy fix just to set it to stereo mode yourself though. :)

6. banman

banman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK some more experimentation. I tried with and without the default DVD PCM effect set to 2-channel.

Either way, the processor will flick to 2.0 2-channel/2.0 Logic 7 when I press the 2 CH button on the remote repeatedly! I have to press it a few times to get it to 'stick' on 2.0 2-channel in which case only the 2 fronts are used now. Which is good. So summary of findings with this disc... :dd: Mono:AC-3:

party, dts, tv matrix - no audio

2.0 pro logic, 2.0 logic 7, thx 2.0, - centre only

2.0 2-channel - fronts only

2.0 music lgc - ~25%fronts and 75% centre

Thanks for the input.

Regards,
    B.