• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

DD from sky+

james.

Standard Member
can someone tell me how to get DD from sky+ through my onkyo 507 amp?
Film4 on sky is broadcasting a film in DD according to the EPG I've got my sky box connected to the amp through an optical lead but the display shows PCM fs: 48kHz when I connect an xbox 360 it only displays this pcm if I turn the xbox on before the amp otherwise goes straight to DD.
I have tried checking sky is set to output DD in settings and trying to manually set the amp not auto someone please help!

chenks

Suspended
have you made sure that the amp is actually using the optical?

press the "digital input" button to make sure that optical is being used.

also make sure that you have told the amp to use optical in the settings menu for the preset you are using.

james.

Standard Member
cheers for the reply there is sound coming from the amp which is only connected through optical so I think it knows optical is being used and I did set it to optical on the input settings menu
I cant see a digital input button though

this is what I did:
1. pressed the set up button
2.input assign
3. 1.3 digital
4. cbl/sat :eek:pt1
the sound comes through fine just not the DD sound as advertised just pcm

Last edited:

chenks

Suspended
Film4 isn't an HD channel, so it won't have a DD audio track.

at best you'll get stereo or PLII.

james.

Standard Member
when you press the i button on the sky remote some of the films on film4 show DD in the banner so I just assumed you'd get true surround sound. Do you have to have hd to get DD then?

chenks

Suspended
Dolby Digital is only carried on the HD channels (as far as i am aware).
you certainly won't get 5.1 audio on any SD channel.

it is most likely a data mistake on the EPG.... just like it happens all the time on the sky EPG.

Last edited:

Rich9600

Do you get DD with other channels?

If not you may need to check the sky settings.

Press: Services > 4 > 2 > Set optical output to Dolby D

james.

Standard Member
I see! oh well I'll just have to download films on the xbox then, thanks again for your help.
Bit slow with this reply I meant to get it in above you Rich!
To answer your question no I dont get DD with any other channels I havent got sky hd only freesat hd so im gonna see if my tv will output the 5.1 sound instead.

Last edited:

chenks

Suspended
Do you get DD with other channels?

If not you may need to check the sky settings.

Press: Services > 4 > 2 > Set optical output to Dolby D

only for channels that carry a DD audio track though, and Film4 doesn't as it's an SD channel. you won't get 5.1 audio on an SD channel regardless of what it's set to.

chenks

Suspended
what movie was it you say the DD logo on the EPG for ?

i've had a look at Film4 just now and it's marked as DS for audio.

Rich9600

only for channels that carry a DD audio track though, and Film4 doesn't as it's an SD channel. you won't get 5.1 audio on an SD channel regardless of what it's set to.

I know Sky Movies in SD are in DD 5.1 so it is possible other channels are... However, I know most of the SD counterparts are only in stereo.

Rich9600

what movie was it you say the DD logo on the EPG for ?

i've had a look at Film4 just now and it's marked as DS for audio.

Yep, the Muppets are marked as DS (Dolby Pro-Logic) and my receiver is only detecting stereo. I know when things are really transmitted in DS my receiver picks up the pro-logic signal (channel map on the front pannel).

Sky SD does Stereo, DS and DD (Dolby Digital)
Sky HD does Stereo, Dolby Stereo, DS and DD

james.

Standard Member
chenks it was a film on dinnertime but cant remember what it was it wasnt that I wanted to watch it just test the DD Im off to test the tv on bbc hd because sky says its broadcasting in DD on that be back in five with the verdict!

james.

Standard Member
Right just pulled the optical out of sky+ box rammed it in the back of the tv and voila instantly lit up a nice DD sign on the amp and worked perfectly(although the programs trash well in my opinion). The amp must be set right and I've set the sky box to output DD in settings I'll just have to wait till later to try the sky+ box again as Im sure theres films on later on film4 that are DD

chenks

Suspended
Holy Man on Film4 is showing as DD on the EPG.

james.

Standard Member
yes I just looked to, so would this play in DD if I leave the tv connected to amp though optical because the hd channel seemed to work perfectly?

chenks

Suspended
can't say for sure how your stuff is configured.

i have both HDMI and optical from the SkyHD box connected direct to the amp (and HDMI out from the amp to the TV).

it look a while to configure mine correctly so that it auto switched to the correct audio tracks depending on what i'm watching, but i eventually got it going properly.

Rich9600

Sky HD can only put a stereo signal down the HDMI...

Rich9600

Can you please clarify you set up.

Are you Sky+ HD > HDMI > TV > Optical > amp?
or
Sky+ > optical > Amp
and
Freesat HD > optical > amp

james.

Standard Member
I've only got sky+ not HD
My tv has got freesat so I removed the optical lead from the sky box and inserted it into the tv so its the same connection in the amp as the sky+box was.
bbc hd channel through tv played true 5.1 dd through amp, even itv hd through red button showed the film twins in dd but only 2.0
so my connections were:
sky+then scart to tv optical to amp

now its just tv then optical to amp

xbox and dvd player are connected through hdmi to amp then to tv no problems with these though only the sky box

Rich9600

All becomes clear!

You should get 5.1 from sky+

You'll just have to wait for a broadcast in DD 5.1. I don't think they'll transmit it on that many of the base channels, they want you HD money...:devil: Many of the HD services from Sky are in DD 5.1, though some are in DD 2.0.

I can only really remember getting Sky movies in DD and DS from my SD sky+ box, but other channels may be doing it now.

james.

Standard Member
so will I or should I get DD on film4 at 7.00pm as advertised in the EPG?
I begrudge paying sky the extra tenner for hd when I dont subscribe to movies and sport.

Last edited:

Rich9600

so will I or should I get DD on film4 at 7.00pm as advertised in the EPG?

50:50 I'd say! The EPG does lie...

The EPG says that the current program is in DS but it's coming out in stereo... Wait and see, but I doubt you'll get it any different on freesat to sky+. What does the freesat EPG say it will be in?

james.

Standard Member
It doesn't say on the freesat info, I looked earlier when I tried the hd channel which was in 5.1 at that time.
I'll try the tv and the sky+ box with film4 later.

chenks

Suspended
ok the EPG for Film4 cannot be trusted

Holy Man is on just now and according to the EPG has DD, but it is only broadcasting in stereo.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom