1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dd, Dts & Thx

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by spicymackerel, May 15, 2002.

1. spicymackerel

spicymackerel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can somebody please clarify on formats. DTS and Dolby digital are basic choices for digital surround sound. I thouight THX was just an enhancement to the cinematic sound quality on an individual movie but I now see you can purchase THX speaker systems etc. Please help to complete my knowledge and explain THX. Does this actally rival DD and DTS contrary to what I thought, or is it yet another option we have to upgrade our equipment for in order to benefit.

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,267
  3. Dec

Dec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's a set of stringent specifications and rulesto which soundtracks, picture quality, equipment build quality and performance comply before the piece of equipment or disc gets the THX logo stamped on it. It's another of George Lucas's babies. Basically if you buy a disc with this on you are pretty much guaranteed to get top notch sound and visuals.
    If you buy THX stamped equipment you know that your hardware can basically "do" everything THX ask of it, that's all.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Basically if you buy a disc with this on you are pretty much guaranteed to get top notch sound and visuals.

Never seen Highlander R1 then?

Though I can agree to accept THX certified amp I just don't see the point for DVD players, speakers (usually THX cert. speakers aren't that suitable for music), cables and surely not for DVDs. The latter is a con - IMHO.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    will that's supposed to be the concept though and no, I've never seen Highlander on R1.
    I agree with you on the validity of of THX certified amplification and no I don't see the point players or speaker with a THX badge either.
    But I have (maybe until now) looked out for THX badged discs, the sound of my Terminator 2 ultimate edition is some of the best i have heard (but come to think of it my T2 VHS copy beat many dvds for sound).
    Do THX discs undergo any sound or picture tweaking?