1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DD/DTS output from Aureal

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Branxx, Dec 1, 2000.

1. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jim,

I was using Aurel 8830 (Videologic badge) before I moved to M-Audio DeltaDio.

S/P-DIF works fine over 5m cable. I bought the cable from Lektropacks for £20. My Yamaha A1 never noticed any difference.

If you haven't bought Videologic sound card as yet, you should note that Aurel was in Chapter 11 protection (from creditors) and was subsequently bought by Creative Inc (Soundblaster Sound Cards). Aureal 8830 sound cards are not in production any more and it is not clear if there will be any driver updates. That being said, the 8830 is better card than Soundblaster Live, driver for Win98SE is OK and works well.

Cheers.

[This message has been edited by Branxx (edited 01-12-2000).]

2. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am just setting up my first multichannel system, and I have some questions about the sound setup from pc to amp. My system is: (well will be when the amp turns up..)

Yamaha DSP-A5

Athlon 700
    Hercules Geforce2(outputing though S-video out)
    Nvidia reference drivers (ver. 6.31) for both Win98SE and Win2000 SP1

Videologic SonicVortex2 (Aureal 8830 chipset if I remember right) with S/PDIF out
    Aureal 2048 drivers

PowerDVD 2.55 (the version with reverse play)
    DVDGenie

right - as I understand it I can get DD/DTS from the soundcard S/PDIF to take to the amp. Is this so? If so, any reccomendations on where I can get a decent length (and quality) optical cable from? (will need at least 2m preferably 5m) also, any known probs? (apart from Aureal having gone down the toilet anyway...)

Thanks

Jim

3. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the info! it's on order...

I have had the sound card since they first came out, and I've been very happy with it.

Now I'm using the PC for Home Cinema however, I could probably do with a better quality one....

Does anyone have any links to any posts/reviews/manufacturers of HiFi PC audio cards?

Thanks

Jim

4. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Big Jim,

If you are thinking of upgrading the sound card, there is not much to wonder about: go for M-Audio Delta2496 or Audiofile 2496.

Excellent quality and compatible with PowerDVD. I am very happy with mine especially since new drivers made it more user friendly. This should cost less than £200 (I ordered mine from US ~$200).

Note than AC3 or DTS pass through is not yet resolved within Windows 2000, but works fine in Win98SE and WinME.

But then you will have to start thinking about DSP A5 upgrade, speakers, etc...

Cheers.