Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DD Better Than DTS In Extended Version (R1)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Apocalypse, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *** Minor Spoiler Alerts For FOTR ***

First off let me say that I'm an avid fan of DTS and believe it is indeed superior to DD, however that doesn't mean I wear blinkers. Sometimes DTS is just done incorrectly and the DD version is superior, having done side by side comparisons yesterday I concluded that the DD mix is the better version. The overall sound is warmer and the depth is greater, when Sauron is destroyed and his body sends out a shockwave the LFE low end is definitely better in DD. The same when the Balrog is walking towards the fellowship on the bridge, DD just edges it because the overall sound is warmer.

DTS is also given a bad name with "Time Machine", awfull sound mixing IMO. Slap a DTS version of The Haunting or Titan AE however and you are reminded why DTS is still king.

Your thoughts please.

Phil

2. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    A few weeks ago I posted a tester for all to do regarding the appearence Arwen and the Ring Wraith chase sequence. Its a good example of the differences between DTS and DD. Like you said DD is warmer, the music also sounds better, while DTS has sharper effect stearing but sounds weak and less dynamic. Now I dont know why most people voted for the DTS track unless its a charractoristic of my sound system. Maybe you cant hear the differences on a sat/sub setup who knows.

3. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I definately agree with what you said about the Sauron death shockwave bit.

Listenening to the DD soundtrack on the standard r2 edition of the disk I was always amazed at how low it went during that scene. I've now bought the DTS special edition and every time I've watched the same scene it doesn't have anywhere near the same impact.

I always thought that I had made some change to my setup between buying the two disks, so I'm relieved to find its nothing
    to do with me.

4. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    What kit you guys got? To my ears the DD fools you into thinking the bass is deeper merely because the whole soundtrack is louder than the dts by comparison (a good 4 or 5dBs to my ears). Also make sure your dts lfe trim is correctly set.

5. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
  6. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Badass, I presume you have upgraded the Tag software so that it decodes DTS LFE correctly (i.e. +10dB for movies)

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't you mean -10dB? I thought DTS had +10dB increase on the bass channel?

8. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    nah, i mean +10dB on the LFE channel. dts movie soundtracks require +10dB on the LFE (as do DD soundtracks) but dts music doesnt.

9. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Yep, software up to date. DTS LFE channel +10db. :)

10. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    It would be interesting to know how many of the people who prefer DTS own sub/sat systems and which are in the high/low end price bracket.

Now i'm not saying my system is how its meant to sound Im just intested in where the differeces come from and why.

11. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I have the KEF Reference THX speaker system with a Paradigm Servo-15 and a Denon upgraded A1SE. Will try to do another AB comparison next time I get a chance and see if Dolby sounds better.

But I do remember people saying that the theatrical edition soundtrack was a bit over the top and this was toned back down for the EE. (Mi Casa do tend to overcook their mixes sometimes!)

12. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On my Extended Edition for whatever reason all the dialogue on the DTS soundtrack sounded extremely compressed & kept waivering & squelching... not inscecently of course, it just sounded as it the centre channel belonged to an individual soundtrack comprising of a 64kbps MP3 file. The other channels were fine though. And I agree that the Dolby Digital soundtrack is far superior to the DTS soundtrack (regardless of my problem with the Dialogue).

13. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Ok I’ve done my test.

Watched the cave troll sequence 4 times, with a mate choosing each format (Dolby Digital EX - no re-eq and DTS-ES Discrete, again no re-eq-ing) twice without my knowledge. Listened to the DTS 4dB louder than the DD (worked this out beforehand with my spl meter).

I managed to identify the formats correctly and way preferred DTS-ES. The deep LFE was noticeably deeper and punchier, and the improved steering and dialogue was immediately apparent. The sound of the troll growling and grunting across the rear 3 channels was FAR FAR clearer in DTS. The DD sounds both more compressed and less dynamic by comparison (and no, I did not have DRC on).

I wasn't so sure before I did this "blind" test but now I am totally certain. The DD on this disc (R1 EE) does not match the quality of the DTS.

14. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I am and always have been wholly INDIFFERENT to the DTS/DD thing, neither prefering one nor the other in general only specific to an individual disc.
    I am with Sweetmate on this, i MUCH prefer the DTS ES mix to the THX EX track.
    I also think the DTS track on the superbit Fifth Element is by far the more even sounding affair.

I prefer THX EX to the DTS ES track on Gladiator.

Steve.

I can give absolute specifics if required but cannot be bothered without prompting.

15. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Interesting Steve, might try the comparison on Gladiator (have never tried to compare tracks on it, have usually just plumped for dts).

Word of warning though - You are using the term THX EX, if this is just your name for Dolby EX then fine sorry to nitpick, but if you are comparing the DTS-ES track with the Dolby Digital track + THX EX processing, please be aware that both these soundtracks (on LOTR) have been re-equalised for home theatre and as such no THX or "Cinema EQ" processing should be applied when playing them.

16. Juzminator

Juzminator
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I own a Yamaha VS10 sub/sat system, with a Pioneer DV737 and I have to say that the DD soundtrack really does sound cleaner, crisper and with more LFE oomph than the DTS one on my R1 LOTR EE.

I was really quite amazed at just how much "better" (to my ears, anyway) the DD soundtrack was.

Usually, DTS is the preferred option on my (admittedly very low-end) setup, but definitely not in this case.