DD 5.1 vs DTS sound on the Onkyos

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Steppenwolf, Feb 7, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Over the past 2 days, I saw the film Master & Commander: Far Side of the World twice on my Home Cinema system governed by my Onkyo 706. The first time I set the audio to Dolby Digital 5.1 and then to DTS. It seemed to me that while the surround effect was clearly better with the DTS setting, the dialogue felt slightly isolated; IMO the DD 5.1 setting gave a more balanced sound.

I have compared DD 5.1 & DTS with my old Denon in the past and felt that the dialogue isolation under DTS was less obvious. Is this a particular phenomenon (i would not call it a 'problem' as such) with Onkyos? I have already increased the centre speaker bass manually; should I beef it up a bit more?

2. gent_tan

gent_tan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dd 5.1 n dts is different in sound...cant blame it on onkyo..its like driving 2 diff car...my 2 cents:)

3. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I know and I am not 'blaming' it on the Onkyo or anything else. I was just pointing out that the aforementioned difference was more obvious on the Onkyo 706 than on my old Denon AVR2800. As to which option to choose depends on the film; with Master & Commander I would probably choosed DD 5.1 over DTS the next time I see it but for something like Saving Private Ryan, DTS works far better during battle scenes. I have made a note on all my DVDs with the DTS option whether it is better than the DD 5.1 or not (for me and my acoustic set up, of course. Others might disagree)

4. spear321

spear321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Isn't this just pointing out how good the Onkyo is by the fact that you are now hearing the difference between the 2 different methods of encoding surround sound?

Not sure either are better just different.

In my mind off Sky where its all DD the neural THX 7.1 seems to sound best.

5. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I like my Onkyo 706, no complaints. The audessey set-up worked well for me after a few initial niggles - mostly due to my own smartassness. And so far, the overheat problem mentioned by some has not bothered me either.