DD 5.1 or dpl 2x

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by scottthehat, Jan 7, 2012.

1. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,799
    Hi all im new here so first of all hi to all.
    I have had surround sound gear for the last 14 years and have always updated to what my budget is at the mo i have an onkyo 606, an am just wondering if people use dpl 2x over dd 5..
    I know 5.1 are all independent channels, and thats dpl 2x can make 2 channels in to seven and even take a dd 5.1 soundtrack and make it into 7.1 but does it make a good job of making the 5.1 into 7.1.
    thanks
    Scott

2. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    So - really what you're asking is if you should keep 5.1 content untouched and not use your surround-back speakers, or if you should process it via PL2x to use the extra 2 rear channels.

TBH this is a personal choice - what sounds best to you. I prefer using the extra rears as one of the things PL2x does is take any mono sounds (i.e. coming from both surround speakers) and places them on the surround backs for better imaging.

3. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,799
    i suppose just wondering how it works as it has the 5 channels to work with so can it sound any worse then a true 5.1 i suppose not really but then i dont know :laugh:

4. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    As in all things - it depends on speaker setup, rooms, etc.

But - keeping it simple I would say in general it's better. Surround sound will be more (erm) surround - less localization, and sound which was meant to be behind (generally mono sound from the surrounds) are moved to the surround-back speakers - which I would say is a good thing cos' that's what the guys in the mixing studio were (normally) trying to achieve.

If you really wanted to play around you'll notice that certain movies benefit more than others, and that very very rarely a movie will come along which won't sound right (normally a movie with all mono surround), so I guess the answer would be to change the setting per movie ...

5. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,799
    cheers sniper for the advice, its weird as i have had it for some time but have never even looked at the dpl 2x and only just really started trying it, and just got green hornet on sky hd in 5.1 and using the dplx2 to convert it to 7.1 it sound amazing, so thanks for the advice.