1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DD 5.1 from a DVB-T card

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Eson, Jul 4, 2003.

1. Eson

Eson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in Sweden and here we are starting to get channels that are broadcasting in DD5.1. Im wondering if there are any cards that supports this. Ive been looking at technotrend att usax.org and Hauppauge and Kiss Technology but cant seem to find out if they support DD 5.1. The usax.org page list a spdifcable as an accessorie to the Technotrend DVB-T 1.2 and even says that 1.2 shall support AC3/DD5.1 but im not sure and want a confirmation. If not I will rather by a settopbox with digital output.

2. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would expect that any of the currently working DVB-T cards would output AC3 stream via SPDIF of your soundcard (assuming the usual software DVD players can do the same on your system). In this case your external decoder can do the rest of the job.

If you want to decoded AC3 within the PC itself, I don't think there is anything available right now.

The Swedish TV development in this area is truly comendable and I hope it catches up in the other coutries soon enough.

The most dynamic DVB-T card developer in Europe in Nebula Electronics and it may be worth sending them an e-mail.

On the ther hand I remeber that Hauppauge NOVA-T (re-badged TechoTrend) came with WinDVD bundled as they use its filters for MPEG decoding. WinDVD also have AC3 and DTS filters and it maybe relatively easy for Hauppauge/TechnoTrend to make use of them.

3. Eson

Eson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if I have an Audigy 2 with spdif it can output AC3 even if the DVB-T card doesnt support it? It seems that the DVB-T has to have som kind of hardware to be able to recieve the AC3-Stream that are being transmissioned from the broadcastingcompany.

4. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think AC3 comes imbedded into the audio stream as MP1 or MP3 would be. The DVB-T card's hardware should be able de-mux the stream but would not know how to decoded it. Considering that the stream is going to be passed to SPDIF card's decode ability becomes irrelevant.

In any case decoding is most likely to be a software function and a is easily upgreadable. The only reason a card manufacturer would introduce a new card to handle AC3 is it is likely to make them more money.