DD 5.1 Connections?

reggieroo

Novice Member
Hi,

I'm new to all this & I've just ordered Sky HD & am ready to order my new HD TV & also a PS3.

I need to know how to connect all of this to my amp so I've got DD 5.1 all the time on all the equipment.

I've got a Sony amp with two digital inputs an optical input which I connect to my PS2 & DVD player is through digital coaxial.

It seems to me that I'll have to keep pulling out my equipment to swap the optical over from my PS3 to the HD box.

I'm hoping I've got this wrong & you guys will give me the right advise.

By the way I haven't picked the TV yet as I'm waiting to see what inputs I might need on the back of it.

I was going to go for the Samsung 52" LCD M87 series.

Any advise would be much appreciated ;)

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Remember, with Sky you won't get DD5.1 all the time - only some HD programmes and some of the movies are in DD5.1. The majority of programmes, and a hefty number of movies, are only in stereo (or even mono). If you definitely want to keep your PS3 in the loop as well as Sky and your DVD player, then you need to invest in either a new amp with three or more digital audio inputs, or look to see whether there is some kind of splitter that can take two optical inputs (from your Playstation and your Sky box) and feed either signal through to the one optical input on your amplifier.

Alternatively, you could look at getting a TV which accepts optical input and has an optical output and also has two HDMI slots, in which case you could feed the TV digital audio and video via HDMI from the Playstation (I think the PS3 outputs full DD5.1 via HDMI), via HDMI and optical from your Sky HD box, then feed the optical out from the TV to the amplifier.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Alternatively, you could look at getting a TV which accepts optical input and has an optical output and also has two HDMI slots, in which case you could feed the TV digital audio and video via HDMI from the Playstation (I think the PS3 outputs full DD5.1 via HDMI), via HDMI and optical from your Sky HD box, then feed the optical out from the TV to the amplifier.

I think you need to mention a TV which can actually do this, nearly every TV that I know of can not take a 5.1 stream from HDMI, let alone find one with optical input. If there is one that does this it would also have to have the facility for optical/HDMI pass through to its optical output.

trailer

For me the sound from SkyHD's optical is better than its analogue.

Does your amp have hdmi switching? If not you'll have fun and games swapping sources on the TV then choosing the source independently on the amp.

Might be easier just to get an AV amp with hdmi switching and more optical ins.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
I bought a 3-way optical splitter from Maplins last year, cost me about £20, I think, it's a manula switch, so you have to change it each time you want to change inputs, but it's a lot easier than swapping cables all the time.

Martin J.

If the amp has a spare digital input, you can buy a converter to change optical into coaxial or vice versa. Otherwise it'll have to be a manual switch.

D

Deleted member 380232

Doesnt the HDMI output 5.1 sound? Do you need a seperate optical cable if feeding into an amp?

Bachstrad

Doesnt the HDMI output 5.1 sound? Do you need a seperate optical cable if feeding into an amp?

No, the Sky HD box only outputs stereo via HDMI. To send DD5.1 to your amplifier you must connect the via an optical link. HTH.

ATB

Max

robfosters

This is one thing that gets me.

So, say for example, I have an Onkyo 605 and I plug sky into it via HDMI (for pic) and optical for sound, does the receiver automatically pick the right sound source when you choose to watch sky or do you have to do it manually.

Bachstrad

This is one thing that gets me.

So, say for example, I have an Onkyo 605 and I plug sky into it via HDMI (for pic) and optical for sound, does the receiver automatically pick the right sound source when you choose to watch sky or do you have to do it manually.

Like you, I don't have that scenario, but I imagine you'd have to select the source manually.

ATB

Max

trailer

I'm sure Onkyo will be the same, my Arcam will let you assign the video and audio inputs for each device button.

i.e. for the SAT button function in the set up I can assign which hdmi input and the optical for audio. Everytime I select SAT it then maps the correct inputs.

reggieroo

Novice Member
Thanks guys for all the info.

My HD box is coming this Saturday, ordered it from Sky & got £100 off as I've been with them over 6 years.

The TV I'm getting has an optical out, so if I plug my PS3 & HD box into the TV via HDMI & then use the optical out from the TV to the amp I should get DD 5.1 on both right?

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Thanks guys for all the info.

My HD box is coming this Saturday, ordered it from Sky & got £100 off as I've been with them over 6 years.

The TV I'm getting has an optical out, so if I plug my PS3 & HD box into the TV via HDMI & then use the optical out from the TV to the amp I should get DD 5.1 on both right?

No, as has already been said, Sky HD HDMI does not carry DD5.1, only DD2.0. To achieve Dolby Digital 5.1 from Sky HD, you need to connect your Sky HD box to your amp using an optical audio cable.

Ross-P

I'm sure Onkyo will be the same, my Arcam will let you assign the video and audio inputs for each device button.

i.e. for the SAT button function in the set up I can assign which hdmi input and the optical for audio. Everytime I select SAT it then maps the correct inputs.

The Onkyos are the same you can assign the audio and HDMI to one button.

For example my Sky is assigned to HDMI input 3 and also Optical input one, when I press my SAT button on the amp it knows where to find the picture and sound.

My DVD is the same its on HDMI 1 and Coaxial 1 again when I push DVD on my amp it knows where to find the sound and picture.

Easy ! Happy Days ! :D

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom