DCR-TRV50 prices

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by SeanB, Mar 20, 2002.

1. SeanB

SeanB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't get a reply from my last question about buying in Japan.

Well, I'm here now and don't know what to do.

Having read numerous reviews I realise the TRV30 is pretty top notch for a beginner wanting a DV camcorder. However, it's also quite expensive.

Anyway, I can get a TRV50 (TRV30 replacement) in Akhihabara (electric city just outside Tokyo) with English display and instructions for £893.

What would you advise, buy or not?

Any feedback appreciated.

2. Floandal

Floandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sean,
    just had a quick look on "Pricerunner", and the best price they come up with, (which may not be the very best over here,) is £999-00 with a 2 year warranty.
    As you will have no warranty on a camcorder that you buy over there, I don't think that a saving of just over £100-00 is worth it.
    Also, the price of this particular camcorder seems to be starting to move downwards.
    So have to advise you not to buy the Sony TRV50.
    Sorry, --- Alan.

3. SeanB

SeanB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Flondal.

No disrespect but having looked on Pricerunner myself just now, I think you'll find there's no TRV50.

The price of £999 is quoted for the old TRV30.

Sean.

4. Floandal

Floandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sean,
    crossed wires ! --- I thought that you meant that the TRV50 was the equivelant of the European TRV30 ? Is the TRV50 a higher spec.?
    I am a Panasonic man myself, just trying to be helpful. --- as non of the "Sony crowd" seem to want to comment !
    Alan.

5. SeanB

SeanB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alan,

No problem, I appreciate any advice I can get.

The TRV-50 is replacing the TRV-30.

I made a mistake too. The price I seen was for a Japanese model. It's not available from the duty free shops here in Japan yet. So it's not worth buying, unless I learn Japanese. Not an easy task!

I did notice that Panasonic isn't too popular here. I would prefer to have an NV-MX8 but haven't seen one here yet.

I've just spent the past 4 hours looking around. I'll be back out as soon as I can feel my feet again.

cheers,
    Sean