DC transformer cable colours

DIYlady

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Ive been set a transformer. Output cables are sleeved black and white, which is + and which is -
Thanks

You don't have a multimeter? Also does it have polarity symbol on the transformer itself?

From what input voltage to what output voltage and at what maximum current (mesured in VA or watts) ?
Could you post a picture or 2 of it ?

Not sure what a DC Transformer is - I presume you mean DC power supply.

As far as I know, there is no standard colour scheme.

I'd put my money on Black=negative and White=positive but it would be best if you could test it with a meter before attaching to any equipment.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hi

Yes dc power supply
Unfortunately don't have a meter
Black negative is what we think - just wanted another opinion
Looking at output it looks like cable is coax with a continuously sheathed central white core and external wires gathered together and then black sheathing add

Will see if I can add photos

Output 48V 0.75A

Attachments

• image-2461787096.jpg
    image-2461787096.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 154
  • image-1521715580.jpg
    image-1521715580.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 103
I would definitely say black is the negative because it is the shield of the cable - that would be the most sensible and normal convention - but it would be nice to check before connecting.

What will it power by the way? It is remotely possible it doesn't matter what way round it is.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
Thanks
It is going into a rako led driver and from there to some led lamps
Problem is although Rako kit is nicely marked with + and - signs the colour changing lamps are not

The lamps have 4 cables rgb and black. I'm planning on 4 lamps

I was planning on just not using the black wire and just creating loop with red to red to red etc

If you connect the first lamp across the output then turn the lights on, If they light then they are connected the right way round, if they don't then swap the connections.

i do concur though that it looks like the black is your negative.

Thanks all
Everything working now :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom