• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

DC / Marvel Animated Movie Discussion

Garrett

As title says chat on them.

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
Received the newest DC animated movie on Friday 'Son of Batman' and I was quite surprised by the amount of violence and blood.

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
I had my copy through last week as well.
Not had time to watch it yet but looking forward to giving it a blast.

Was having a bit of a chat with Number6 in another thread about the DC Universe stuff & I've come to the conclusion that they are skipping all the good older stuff in favour of the more recent but frankly poor New 52 stuff.

I'd expect an announcement that We'll see Court of Owls next, seems logical since they'be laid the foundations for having Damien in the continuity now.

Shame that they have blundered into New 52 so soon IMO.

Number 6

Distinguished Member
It's a shame DC themselves blundered into the new 52 idea in the comics too, badly thought out and executed, real pity the animated movies are following suit.

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
Son of Batman seems to be a bit of a mash up as its based on a pre new 52 comics series but definitely has a new 52 feel about it.

The trailer for Assault of Arkham does look good and unless I'm mistaken Kevin Conroy is back for that which is always welcome.

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
Son of Batman seems to be a bit of a mash up as its based on a pre new 52 comics series but definitely has a new 52 feel about it.

The trailer for Assault of Arkham does look good and unless I'm mistaken Kevin Conroy is back for that which is always welcome.

Yeah Son was one of the last pre 52 stories but pretty much builds up to the New 52 but from here I guess we could always get Batman RIP as an animated movie as for a while Nightwing takes over the Batman Mantle with Damian as Robin as we could still see some more pre 52 but I'm not holding out hope.

That would make sense as Conroy voices Batman in the Arkham games so think they should get him on board as Assault is based on the Video Game universe.

Neil

Batman2

Distinguished Member
BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES Actor Efrem Zimbalist Jr. Dies at the Age of 95.

American actor Efrem Zimbalist Jr. has passed away yesterday, May 2, due to natural causes. The actor was known for his long fulfilled voice performance as Alfred Pennyworth in Batman: The Animated Series, as well as starring as Inspector Lewis Erskine in The F.B.I. television series.

Efrem Zimbalist Jr. was commonly known for his performances from 1958 through 1978, where he stared as a private eye and a federal agent in two ABC television shows titled: "77 Sunset Strip" and "The F.B.I." The actor later moved on to play a con man named Daniel Chalmers in the television series, "Remington Steele." In the 1990s, he took on the role of Alfred Pennyworth in Batman: The Animated Series, as well as Doctor Octopus in Spider-Man: The Animated Series. Zimbalist also reprised the role of Alfred in Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Batman & Mr.Freeze: Sub-Zero, Superman: The Animated Series, Batman: Vengeance, Static Shock, and Justice League. On May 2, 2014, the actor died in Solvang, California at the age of 95, due to natural causes. His children had this to say:

“A devout Christian, he actively enjoyed his life to the last day, showering love on his extended family, playing golf and visiting with close friends. We will miss him dearly.”

Efrem Zimbalist Jr. Dead: Star of TV's 'The F.B.I.' Was 95 - Hollywood Reporter

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
So Assualt on Arkham is currently winging it's way to me as we speak (Steelbook release in 2 weeks :D:D)

Which brings us nicely to what's next :)

So Throne of Atlantis is well in the works at the moment & should be before the end of the year but more exciting was the news at SDCC for 2 new films due in 2015...

Batman Vs Robin
Justice League: Gods & Monsters

Not much known on Batman Vs Robin yet but the JL title is a brand new plot which will be written by Alan Burnett
Now the last 2 JL titles (War & Throne of Atlantis) have the same cast on board for voice duties so I'm hoping we have a pattern forming here & the same team will continue to do them for each new JL title

Anyway I'm excited as always for more of these :)

Neil

Batman2

Distinguished Member
Just watched Assault On Arkham and absolutely loved it. I don't think it's one for the kids due to the killing and adult themes. I really enjoyed playing the games and this film was right out of that world. It almost felt like you know where they were going as your knowledge from the games brought back memories. It really got amped up in the final act and at one point I was not sure if it was going to be concluded or not. Over all I would say it was a marked improvement over Son of Batman and I hope they continue with this universe.

8/10.

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
I thought it was very good too, certainly not what I was expecting with Batman being more of a supporting character but the Suicide Squad held the story throughout IMO

Was good having Conroy back too :)

Batman2

Distinguished Member
Agree, was not sure that having the Suicide Squad as the main act would keep me interested but it did, with just enough Batman to keep me happy.

Batman2

Distinguished Member
Just seen the following up for pre-order on Amazon.de for £56 as an Exclusive.

Created by the respected creators of the American comic scene: Batman fights for justice in these DC animated films. This exclusive collection is old and brand new adventures collected in one box. Experience over 11 hours, the fascinating facets of the DC Universe on Blu-ray with lots of specials and bonus material.

Content: 9 DC Universe Batman Blu-Rays:
1.Batman: Gotham Knight
2.Batman: Under the Red Hood
3.Superman / Batman: Apocalypse
4.Batman of the Future: Joker Comes
5.Batman: Year One
6.Batman: Dark Knight Returns, part 1
7.Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, part 2
8.DCU: Son of Batman
9.Batman: Assault on Arkham

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
Very nice set and a good way for those that want to get into the Batman DC animated movies, shame I already have them all lol

CrazyHorse

A quick heads up: 'Young Justice: Invasion' Blu-ray is up for pre-order @ amazon.com - $20.99.

Release date: Nov 18

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
Got my pre-order in, best to do it now as they tend to go up to around $25 come release which is over the customs limit.

CrazyHorse

Another quick heads up: That German Batman Animated set above is going live in the amazon.de 'lightning deal' section in less than 15 mins from now! No idea how much it'll be, but worth checking out if you're interested.

EDIT: Batman set 54,97 euros

Last edited:

Garrett

A quick heads up: 'Young Justice: Invasion' Blu-ray is up for pre-order @ amazon.com - $20.99.

Release date: Nov 18
Is this region locked?
I never seen the series is this a series or a film, what's the animation like and how is it played i.e. more straight like the 4 Justice League or more pratfall like the Teen Titans or the Batman: Brave and the Bold series?

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
Is this region locked?
I never seen the series is this a series or a film, what's the animation like and how is it played i.e. more straight like the 4 Justice League or more pratfall like the Teen Titans or the Batman: Brave and the Bold series?

Its region free as is the way with Warner and its a series in fact its the second series of Young Justice, the first was released on BD back in August...

Amazon.com: Young Justice: Season 1 [Blu-ray]: Khary Payton, Nolan North, Jesse McCartney, Danica Mckellar, Jason Spisak, Stephanie Lemelin: Movies & TV

bigry

Distinguished Member
if it helps to try before you buy garret, both seasons are on netflix usa and canada at the moemnt

Batman2

Distinguished Member
Just watched Justice League Thrown Of Atlantis it's basically the same story that has been told many times now, personally I never found Aquaman interesting and this has not changed my opinion. I actually found the bits of the film which focussed on what the individual members of the League were up to before the main story kicks of more interesting. If this is the best story they can come up with for an Aquaman story then I don't hold much hope for the big screen live action version.

6/10.

Batman2

Distinguished Member
Batman v's Robin (2015).

Just watched it, it was better than Son of Batman, but my main problem is I never liked Damien Wayne and every time he's on screen I just want him gone.

There is lots of action in this one, but it was just missing something, it's like they rushed a section of the film to get it to fit in the 1hr25min space, maybe it would of benefited from being a 2 parter like the Dark Knight Returns was.

I've got a feeling it's not the last we've seen of Damien Wayne and that they will bring him back, but as an older character, maybe making a trilogy out of this storyline.

I'm still not a fan of the anime style of the latest films, just wish they would go back to the traditional style of animation.

brian s

Distinguished Member
Just watched Justice League Thrown Of Atlantis it's basically the same story that has been told many times now, personally I never found Aquaman interesting and this has not changed my opinion. I actually found the bits of the film which focussed on what the individual members of the League were up to before the main story kicks of more interesting. If this is the best story they can come up with for an Aquaman story then I don't hold much hope for the big screen live action version.

6/10.

We watched this quite recently and enjoyed it. It felt a little slow at times and we didn't recognise Nathan Fillon's take on Hal Jordan at all. Other than that we thought it was worth a watch and it has it's usual load of extras.

Bri

mentasm

Distinguished Member
Can't stand the Damien Wayne character. I mean I know it's a comic book story, but it just looks silly when a small kid is beating up villains three times his size.

brian s

Distinguished Member
Can't stand the Damien Wayne character. I mean I know it's a comic book story, but it just looks silly when a small kid is beating up villains three times his size.

Yes there's a look at Batman vs Robin on the Atlantis disc. It just looked daft.

Bri

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom