DC cabling on Response TV2000 CCTV system

itm

Established Member
Reaction score
The camera power supply has failed on my old Response TV2000 system. The problem is that the power supply has a female DC plug socket to accept a cable from the camera, whereas most power supplies have a trailing cable and plug to connect to the relevant appliance.
Since I've not been able to find a similar style of power supply (i.e. with a plug socket onboard), my best option seems to be to strip the DC plug from a conventional power supply and to connect the bare wires to the lead from the camera. The problem is that the DC plugs are moulded so I can't tell which cable is +ve and which -ve.
Can anyone recommend a good way of finding out which cable is which??

Details received - will post off tomorrow.
l'll label the wires +ve and -ve. Just connect the wires to your new supply.
When the LED's light up the polarity is correct.
If the LED's don't light up the polarity is wrong.
Cheaper than buying a DVM:thumbsup:

Details received - will post off tomorrow.
l'll label the wires +ve and -ve. Just connect the wires to your new supply.
When the LED's light up the polarity is correct.
If the LED's don't light up the polarity is wrong.
Cheaper than buying a DVM:thumbsup:

You are a gentleman - many thanks.
I've just thought...the other thing I'll need to establish is the polarity of the cables from the camera. Presumably if I get that wrong I'll damage the camera?
This seems a trickier thing to check, as there'll be no voltage or current on these cables. Can anyone suggest a smart way of working out which one's which?

That's a novel colour scheme!
If you send me the old psu complete with female plug I can disect it and find out the polarity.
View profile for address.

That's a novel colour scheme!
If you send me the old psu complete with female plug I can disect it and find out the polarity.
View profile for address.

That's very kind - thank you. Could you please PM me your address?

Strange - I had 2 messages in my Inbox and 3 Sent Items. Smallest mailbox I ever had!
Found the address - shall I put "SupraTTMan" at the top of it?

buzz it out on the cables going to the camera does either one have continuity to the video gnd from the camera? if so that is the neg.
or you can pop open the old psu and look at the polarity on the output smoothing caps

buzz it out on the cables going to the camera does either one have continuity to the video gnd from the camera? if so that is the neg.

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean here. How could I tell which is the video gnd to the camera?

Thinking about it, if I can borrow a multimeter (and work out how to use it) presumably I could check the polarity myself by connecting the cut-off power cable from the camera to a new power supply. I guess that no damage could be done to the multimeter if I connect the cables to the wrong terminal first time?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom