DC 52 Event #1's Discussion [SPOILERS!]

Discussion in 'Books & Literature' started by Theydon Bois, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,214
    This thread is to discuss the new DC line up. 52 brand new numbers ones covering the Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Justice League and other families.

This will contain spoilers for the titles, hence the large amount of text added before the first post to ensure people dont look in by mistake.

The Line Up

SUPERMAN FAMILY TITLES:

Action Comics
    Superman
    Superboy
    Supergirl

BATMAN FAMILY TITLES:

Detective Comics
    Batman
    Batman and Robin
    Batman: The Dark Knight
    Batgirl
    Batwoman
    Catwoman
    Red Hood and the Outlaws
    Batwing
    Nightwing
    Birds of Prey

GREEN LANTERN FAMILY TITLES:

Green Lantern
    Green Lantern Corps
    Green Lanterns: New Guardians
    Red Lanterns

JLA FAMILY TITLES:

Justice League
    Justice League International
    Wonder Woman
    Aquaman
    Flash

UNALLIED TEAM BOOKS:

Teen Titans
    Legion Lost
    Legion of Super-Heroes

DCU GENERAL TITLES:

Blue Beetle
    The Savage Hawkman
    Static Shock
    O.M.A.C.
    The Fury of Firestorm
    DC Universe Presents
    Green Arrow
    Mister Terrific
    Captain Atom
    All-Star Western
    Hawk and Dove
    Grifter
    The Men Of War
    Stormwatch
    Deathstroke
    Suicide Squad
    Blackhawks

DC'S DARK SIDE TITLES:

Justice League Dark
    Animal Man
    Swamp Thing
    Demon Knights
    Frankenstein, Agent of SHADE
    Resurrection Man
    Voodoo
    I, Vampire

Release Order

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  2. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,214
    I would move all the discussions of the comics to this thread from the original, but my internet at work is so painfully slow that it is just about handling basic functions :mad:

Here are my thoughts on the three comics that I have read though:

I also got a quick look at JLI - er, crap, parts of it reminded me of 'The Boys', and I doubt this was intended, and Batman was a guest slot to make it worth reading, but imho, its not.

3. FullerAwesome

FullerAwesome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Got myself Action Comics and JLI this week. Action Comics, surprisingly, I enjoyed. I've never been big on Superman and had alot of doubt but I can see it becoming quite a title, I loved the final panel too, that was indeed one hell of a bullet!

As for JLI, I'm not so sure, not alot of action until the last couple of pages, and even that wasn't much, I'm hoping it'll pick up next issue. I'm not sure if it's just me but it seems to of been dumbed down quite alot, maybe it was because my expectations were so high after reading Generation Lost which I really enjoyed.

I'm half tempted to give Aquaman a go, with Johns and Reis behind it, it's probably going to be quite the read regardless of the ridicule poor Aquaman gets lol.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to next week now, Green Lantern and Red Lanterns, both of which I really do have high hopes for. Especially after War of the Green Lanterns.

4. dieeasysteve

dieeasysteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    I should have this weeks orders arriving today or tomorrow and i may head into the city to pick up a couple of others on sat. I'll be back to the discussion once I've caught up.

5. FullerAwesome

FullerAwesome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    How many of the 52 are you going for?

6. WibXL

WibXL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +379
    So far I've read the following:

Spoilers

Action Comics:
    I enjoyed it and liked the fact that Superman isn't up to full strength yet plus it was nice to hear about the damage that he'd done to the criminals he'd been fighting as it gave him a less goody goody type of feel.
    Detective Comics:
    Really enjoyed this one as it had a nice dark feel to it and the Joker was excellent. Not quite sure what was happening at the end but it certainly left an impression.
    Justice League:
    Good start and I'm looking forward to seeing how the story progresses.

Static Shock:
    Reminded me of Spiderman for some reason but unlike Spiderman I couldn't find anything likeable about it. Seemed to be aimed more at a younger audience so that could be why.
    OMAC:
    Didn't like this one either as it just seemed like another generic super hero comic and again seemed to be aimed at a younger audience.

Green Arrow:
    Has an Iron Man feel to it and started off ok but I don't think that it had anything special. I'll be getting the next couple of issues to see how it goes with this one.

Hawk and Dove:
    Not really my thing but I would have bought a couple more issues to see how it goes if I wasn't trying to cut down my pull list.

The Men of War:
    I started off not really liking this but then it picked up (When Superman appeared?) and I started to enjoy it until the first story finished and the second began and I was back to not liking it. Again if it wasn't for the fact that I need to get my pull list down to a manageable level I'd have bought a couple more issues.

Stormwatch:
    Not too sure about this one as the story didn't really grab me and I didn't really like most of the characters but by the end I was intrigued enough to put it in the buy a couple more issues pile.
    Swamp Thing:
    Another one that I really enjoyed but the story did leave me feeling a little confused. Is the main character actually Swamp Thing or did he just turn into a Swamp Thing like creature and then back again? Superman's appearance seemed a little unnecessary as well.

Still got four more to get through but I should probably try to spread them out a bit to give me something to read tomorrow.

EDIT: Apologies for forgetting the spoiler tags.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  7. FullerAwesome

FullerAwesome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Does Swamp Thing follow on from Brightest Day at all or is it starting again like some of the others?

8. WibXL

WibXL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +379
    I haven't read any issues of Swamp Thing before so I couldn't say.

9. WibXL

WibXL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Should we be using the spoiler tags in this thread or leaving everything visible?

10. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,214
    No Spoiler tags required in this thread mate. :smashin:

11. dieeasysteve

dieeasysteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    Just finished "Action comics" and "Detective comics".

Detective comics was the best so far. Nice and dark with great art. Batman reminded me of year one a bit which is the type of batman I like. not quite sure what happened at the end. Did joker just get some guy to cut his face off? There really is no going back from that.

Action comics was good too the writing seemed a bit confusing. It seemed to jump around a bit. I liked the more aggressive superman as I've never really liked the holyer than perfect superman. But I really hated the blue jeans and childishness.

Jl was a nice start. Not much really happened here story wise but it seems to be interesting. Though gl was a bit too much of a tool and maybe batman too super! Hope he gets his ass kick by superman in #2.

Think I'll put the comics in rank order each week.

Detective comics
    Action comics
    Justice league

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  12. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,214
    I AM HAWK, and she is Dove, and together, we are HAWK and Dove!

:facepalm:

I have been far too selective in my recent non comic buying years, and so sneaking into Forbidden Planet and flicking through comics to find this dross made me want to rip it up and vomit all over the floor.

Plus, were is all the fantastic art in this initial run of 14? Good ones are Detective, Justice League......and Static reminded me a little of John Romata Jr, but Animal Man, Swamp thing, Action (my mate quite rightly pointed out that Lex looks like Mr Potato Head), Hawk & Dove (Liefield alwasy does shouty expressions doesnt he?), Man of War are all just not right in my shallow eyes. Batwing? was interesting, kind of computer generated? I thats certainly higher than the others I listed anyway.

I am out of the loop, so dont know all the modern artists, and my taste is eclectic Tim Sale, Romata, Jim Lee, Sinkivitch.....and sometimes a really good story can be ruined by a terrible artist. I have a sinking feeling that Jim Lee wont stay on JL for long, probably an inital 6 issues then moving on to help sell another new starter, probably a x.1 from Marvel.

/rant over.

13. FullerAwesome

FullerAwesome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    :rotfl: Thank you!

The image I had in my head of the shop staff faces whilst you raged against a comic was priceless.

14. WibXL

WibXL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Animal Man: Strange but good, wasn't sure that I'd like the whole taking on aspects of animals as a super power and I'm still not sure about it but I do like the horror aspects of the comic. The artwork on the other hand is a bit of a let down for me as it seems a bit too simplistic.

15. WibXL

WibXL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Batwing: Surprisingly grim and gory to say that it's rated Teen rather than Teen Plus. A decent example of how to start off a new series, bit of back story, bit of current events and a cliffhanger all in one issue.

16. WibXL

WibXL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +379
    He loves that running into the camera pose with one leg forward and one trailing back into the distance as well.

17. WibXL

WibXL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Batgirl: After Batwing I was really looking forward to another Bat title as they seem to have been the strongest so far but this one was a bit of a let down. Not bad as such and I'll get the next issue but it didn't really leave a lasting impression.

18. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,214
    I agree, along with most of the art being a bit poor, most of the issues completely miss the reboot premise - I read a review about Detective, and putting aside my Batcrush, it mentioned that the story could have been a flashback episode in Detective Comics issue eight hundred, rather than No:1.

....but to argue the toss with myself, I am not sure I want to see another 'Bruces' parents are shot, fell down a well of bats etc'

Marvel is not free of this as well though - the recent Daredevil 1 relies on you knowing his recent past in Vol 2 (that Matt is Daredevil) while adding a few little 'Dad was killed, I got hit by a container' words.

So, plus and minus points on the whole 'show a new or retell the origin' start to this DC reboot, but I really feel they could have just tried a bit harder, and I hope that the fans of Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern etc are happy when their issues are released in the next few weeks.

19. dieeasysteve

dieeasysteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    I'm happy with the way they have rebooted so far, I really don't want to read all the origin stories, even without being a comic book fan to recently I know most of them from cartoons when I watch growing up. The start of ultimate spiderman nearly put me off because I was reading the same story as i had seen multiple time on screen.

20. FullerAwesome

FullerAwesome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Green Lantern is continuing directly from War of the Green Lanterns.

*SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS* for those who haven't read the War of the Green Lantern story arc.

With Hal being stripped of his ring and returned to earth and Sinestro becoming a Green Lantern once again, the first 3 issues seem to be focussed around Sinestro battleing against his own Corps to protect Korugar. He doesn't seem to want to be a Green Lantern, but he's been chosen. As to whether he'll ultimately be allowed back in, or allow himself in, I don't know.

Because of this, there's something in the back of my mind telling me that Green Lantern is going to be retold and
    Hal will come back
    under similar but different circumstances to how he became one in the first place.

I know the the spoiler tags aren't necessary but didn't want to spoil the WotGL's arc for those who haven't read it. (It's one of the best and I definitely recommend it). Hopefully I've used them in the right places!

I'm eagerly awaiting #1 next week. Unfortunately, I am a self confessed Green Lantern fanboy.

21. dieeasysteve

dieeasysteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    I'd never really heard much about GL before the film, but i really like the idea of the GL's so I'm looking forward to the GL comics.

I liked the GL film
    :devil:

22. FullerAwesome

FullerAwesome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    It's nice to see it wasn't only me and the missus then lol.

23. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,214
    I am going to take this back. I just read it again, and although its not as good as Detective or Justice League, it is a solid read and I will be continuing with it. Put it this way, I like it enough to possibly track down the Jim Lee variant. :D

24. cebs_uk

cebs_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +407
    I just picked up this weeks comic today and from my pile I would agree that Tec seems to the pick of the week with a very good splash page at the end.

Action was ok, Luthor seemed very 'All Star' but that's no bad thing and i enjoyed Batgirl and at least it got Killing Joke out the way in issue 1.

Hawk and Dove was very old school but I think that is kind of the point of the reboot in some way, this used to be one of my favourite titles so I'll give it a while before i drop it. Plus it mentioned a great crisis so maybe that still happened.

JL and JLI were both a bit boring I think JL could have done with a bigger first issue but lets see how quick issue 2 comes along.

I'd rather they did a their own Ultimate line and kept the old stuff going but its not as bad as it could have been but I think i might be down to the core Bat titles before long.

I think i've got 26 pulled this month but think that number will drop soon.

And the Jim Lee cover does look nice but it was sold out in town so there are a few on ebay.

Cover of the month for me is GL.

Did JL and Tec have variants btw?

25. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,214
    Justice League had 4 covers, the Sketch, a coloured version of the sketch, the normal cover on orange, and normal on blue.

Detetcive has only one as far as I am aware.

26. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,892
  27. WibXL

WibXL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Justice League International: Not too sure about this one as it hasn't really grabbed me but might be worth carrying on with. Doesn't really help that I don't know the majority of the characters either.

28. FullerAwesome

FullerAwesome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Read Generation Lost if you can, it's what prompted me to buy JLI in the first place.

29. WibXL

WibXL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Are there any TPBs of it?

30. FullerAwesome

FullerAwesome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Only hard covers at the moment, TPB's will likely follow afterwards.

Volume 1 is already released collecting #'s 1 - 12, the second will collect 13 - 24 (it was a maxi-series), the second is due out 12/10.