1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dazed and Confused

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by shirpa, Mar 31, 2005.

1. shirpa

shirpa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, im a total beginer to the world of plasma and would apreciate a little help please.
    I am looking for a 42in wall mountable screen for use for day to day television and dvd. I have sky and a Sony RDRGX3 dvd recorder.
    I had more or less decided to get the Pioneer PDP-435XDE as it seems to be the most future proof available at the moment. Im now a little worried about the PQ ill get with this screen for normal tv use, and also that ill have to get a speaker system as well.
    I quite like the Sony KDE-P42XS1 and this seems to be HDTV ready as well, but does'nt have a HDMI or DVI connection. Is this a big problem or something that i wont need anyway?
    Also like the panasonics, but thay sem a bit bulky for wall mounting and dont look to be HDTV ready.
    Any advice would be a great help.

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Welcome to the forum (OK you may have been lurking for ages but no way of telling that!).

No HDMI or no DVI connection means it is not HDTV ready so forget the Sony.

"Panasonic a bit bulky for wall mounting" - presumably you have been looking at the Viera's - agreed and wouldn't recommend anyway. The TH-42PW*7 range are better but not HDTV ready (without using an external scaler).

"and also that ill have to get a speaker system as well" - have a look at the Yamaha YSP-1. It isn't as good as a full-on 5.1 system but it is mighty impressive as a one box solution.

There are a raft of new plasmas due out in the next few months, if HDTV really is important to you I suggest waiting. Equally, I believe that HDTV will be a niche market for a couple of years - expensive (probably), limited programming (probably), and SDTV done really well isn't that far behind HDTV.

Panasonic PWD7, the right connections, perhaps the Yamaha speaker is the way that I would go.