Dazed and confused-want to upgrade

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by mike7, Mar 8, 2006.

1. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I decided the time had come to treat myself to a new camera to replace my trusty Canon Powershot A40. I'm predominantly a 'scenery man' so I mostly use a camera out of doors. I like to be able to switch away from 'point and shoot' auto modes now and then. I don't want to go back to SLR. Armed with the latest Camera mag I had a look at what's on the market. I decided 5meg was my upper limit. Not a matter of cost, but I don't want a memory gobbler and I have no intention of blowing pictures up to the size of a barn door. I just want some extra pixels to play around with on Photoshop.I also like to show my pictures on an LCD tv.

First I find that cameras have shrunk in size so much as to become practically unmanagable.Tiny little things the size of a fag packet. Screens have got bigger (and no doubt eat up power which comes from small re-chargable batteries which will die on you and cannot be substituted with AAs) and in some cases viewfinders have gone. Is the camera market just catering for the mobile phone generation?

My second disappointment was the lack of choice in the high street. In spite of all the models seemingly available stocks, and makes, seem very limited in the real world. All the major camera shops in my city, Norwich, seem to have become Jessops. Three shops all within a quarter of a mile all selling same stock at same prices.

Next revelation was that 'Bestbuys' in magazines are not a lot of use. I'm not criticising the Reviews themselves,but within a couple of weeks of the review appearing the model disappears. 'Sorry sir,that model has been discontinued, its been replaced by the Superxx7xx which has an extra 2 mega pixels. You just know that model is doomed to a 6 month or less shelf life. I don't xxxxing want a 8 mega pixel camera.

Am I a bit strange?. Sure I like a camera that is small enough to stick in a pack on a hike and not weigh a ton, but I don't want something a stiff breeze will blow away ! I want something fairly robust, manageable controls and a viewfinder.

Please can someone come to my rescue ?

2. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Trouble is, a lot of the newer camera's will have pixel counts higher than 5 million. Maybe if you are happy with what your Canon has provided you then you should consider sticking to that make as menu systems etc will be similar.

Is your A40 doing everything that you need it to apart from having 'a few more pixels'? If so, why change?

3. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The panasonic FZ5 sounds about perfect for your requieements. I picked one up for an incredible £199 a few weeks ago. Look at its superb review on dpreview.com

It's so good it's replacement the FZ7 has struggled to improve on it.

4. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,321
    Canon Powershot S60?

Has a 28mm equivilent wide angle rather than the usual 35mm so better suited to landscape/scenery. Don't be put off by the proprietry battery, they have good capacity & you can always carry a spare.

5. tontoshorse

tontoshorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
  6. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Thanks Guys, I'll give the Canons a look. I've never had any problems with their cameras, printers and scanners. I'll have to get used to things being a bit smaller. They say that size isn't everything!