Dayton UM18 Build

Best to measure bass at a few spots around that position to determine sensitivity of the response to mic position as dips can soften significantly with small mic movements.

Best to measure bass at a few spots around that position to determine sensitivity of the response to mic position as dips can soften significantly with small mic movements.

Thanks Matt. I've options with moving the sofa forward/backward and it's a two seater, this with the mic nearer the right-hand position so some options for me to take more measurements. Hopefully will get some more today!

This is what REW suggested for my room, not too far off what I'm actually seeing in terms of peaks/nulls.

1588667633112.png

A second at the rear could achieve:

1588667783534.png

Some more measurements taken.

Full range.jpg

This shows:
Blue - Left + Sub crossover at 80
Orange - Left + Sub crossover at 100
Green - Sub only
Red - Left only

Whilst it seems crossing over at 100 instead of 80 improves ~90Hz it causes ~130Hz to suffer.

The above but with no smoothing at the 10...200Hz range.

Sub range.jpg

I've not done similar comparisons for C and R, just L.

I switched the sub to Phase 0 and that made no discernible difference. Is it worth looking more into phase graphs/distances in REW with regards to the LCR ?

I also tried left and right of my MLP but with not too much different to the results.

Some more measurements taken.

View attachment 1293834

This shows:
Blue - Left + Sub crossover at 80
Orange - Left + Sub crossover at 100
Green - Sub only
Red - Left only

Whilst it seems crossing over at 100 instead of 80 improves ~90Hz it causes ~130Hz to suffer.

The above but with no smoothing at the 10...200Hz range.

View attachment 1293835

I've not done similar comparisons for C and R, just L.

I switched the sub to Phase 0 and that made no discernible difference. Is it worth looking more into phase graphs/distances in REW with regards to the LCR ?

I also tried left and right of my MLP but with not too much different to the results.

If you have the latest version of REW have you tried using the 'Alignment Tool'? Good not just for aligning multiple subs but also mains to subs.

If you have the latest version of REW have you tried using the 'Alignment Tool'? Good not just for aligning multiple subs but also mains to subs.

I saw there was an update, went to get it but didn't quite make it to installing it. I also had just started reading that thread... got some more reading to do then!

Remembered I had an old active KRK 10" sub so I've bought it out to the cinema to see if it helps fill my nulls. Need to do a bit of work balancing levels etc and see what happens. Can see me investing in a miniDSP at this rate.

Will hopefully take some measurements later.

20200520_102721.jpg

Quick sweep with both subs, certainly sorts our the 45Hz dip I had before. Need to play with REW some more to gain match and time align them though.

Both Subs.jpg

Quick sweep with both subs, certainly sorts our the 45Hz dip I had before. Need to play with REW some more to gain match and time align them though.

View attachment 1302593

If you weren't already aware of it the Alignment Tool in the latest Beta versions of REW might be worth checking out.

Last edited:
If you weren't already aware of it the Alinment Tool in the latest Beta versions of REW might be worth checking out.

Yep! Think you pointed me to it before, I'm all upgraded and ready for it, looks to be a neat bit of functionality. I've read the whole of that thread too :D

Hello people
A beautiful project that I found through Google. In my cinema I have the problem that I need 2 pcs subwoofers for my back wall, the maximum depth must not exceed 35 cm.
The plan is to build the project with a 21 inch chassis (NSW6021-6). I would build the coffin a bit wider and lower if possible, the port can be easily converted.
Do you think this is feasible.
Many greetings Peter
Sorry for the bad english....Google translation😇

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom