Days Gone

anlygi

Good for anyone that didn't have a PS4 and already played them all. Days Gone got a lot of unfair criticism, it was one of the few PS4 games I enjoyed enough to keep playing for the platinum trophy. I think they will continue the trend of releasing much later on PC. I don't think they're daft enough to launch system sellers on PC at the same time as PS5.

I came back to PC rather than PS5/Series X at launch, but I will be picking up a PS5 down the line when it has a decent library of exlusives, it's available in something less obnoxious than white and GT7 is released (which I read yesterday has been delayed until next year). I don't think anyone familiar with Polyphony Digital really expected it before 2023 anyway.

Stockholm

Distinguished Member
Really enjoyed Days Gone despite selling it a few days after its initial PS4 release a couple of years ago. Picked it up again last year after hearing lots of positives about it and it exceeded expectations.

Only finished it the other day after starting it about 6 months ago! Played it on and off but it's got an open world that is exciting to mess around in and encourages exploration on your motorbike. The story does a good job with the plot it has to work with, and the characters are pretty good too. One or two are bland but on the whole, there are a bunch of characters that are memorable.

The graphics can take your breath away or maybe it's more accurate to say that the artists crafted a replica of the state of Oregon that can make you gasp at times, particularly in the mountainous regions. Stunning sunsets and rises, and seeing the Milky Way bending across the sky at nighttime is stunning. I'd sometimes just ride the bike up a mountain at sunset to see the Milky Way before gunning down a horde of freaks on the way back to base.

Lots of fun weapons to turn against freaks and rippers and the sound effects when the bullets hit environmental objects is so satisfying.

Not a perfect game by any means but as a sum of its parts it works and is fun to play from beginning to end.

Can't wait to see what it's like on PC. Definite buy.

Edit - I enjoyed playing as Deacon St John and loved his voice actor. Same actor was in The Mist and has quite a distinctive voice. Boozer is a good sidekick as well.

Also lots of hairy moments that get your heart racing. More than a few heart-in-your-mouth moments when you're out of your bike or exploring a cave on your own.

Last edited:

Stockholm

Distinguished Member
Just thinking about it a bit more if anybody here picks it up on PC and hasn't already played through it on PS4 or 5 then I'd recommend bumping the difficulty up to at least Hard. I played through in Hard 2 and thought it was too easy by the time you reach the second area in the game.

Another thing worth bearing in mind is that Bend Studios didn't help new players fall in love with the story by making the first two camps you encounter the dullest of the game with the most mediocre missions and side quests. That was my initial problem with the game and I thought it was going to maintain that mediocrity or get worse as the game progressed, but actually the opposite happened and the game becomes more interesting and exciting in terms of missions and the characters you encounter. Wait until the third camp opens up before binning the game for good.

anlygi

Really enjoyed Days Gone despite selling it a few days after its initial PS4 release a couple of years ago. Picked it up again last year after hearing lots of positives about it and it exceeded expectations.

Only finished it the other day after starting it about 6 months ago! Played it on and off but it's got an open world that is exciting to mess around in and encourages exploration on your motorbike. The story does a good job with the plot it has to work with, and the characters are pretty good too. One or two are bland but on the whole, there are a bunch of characters that are memorable.

The graphics can take your breath away or maybe it's more accurate to say that the artists crafted a replica of the state of Oregon that can make you gasp at times, particularly in the mountainous regions. Stunning sunsets and rises, and seeing the Milky Way bending across the sky at nighttime is stunning. I'd sometimes just ride the bike up a mountain at sunset to see the Milky Way before gunning down a horde of freaks on the way back to base.

Lots of fun weapons to turn against freaks and rippers and the sound effects when the bullets hit environmental objects is so satisfying.

Not a perfect game by any means but as a sum of its parts it works and is fun to play from beginning to end.

Can't wait to see what it's like on PC. Definite buy.

Edit - I enjoyed playing as Deacon St John and loved his voice actor. Same actor was in The Mist and has quite a distinctive voice. Boozer is a good sidekick as well.

Also lots of hairy moments that get your heart racing. More than a few heart-in-your-mouth moments when you're out of your bike or exploring a cave on your own.

I was the same. I picked it up in a sale at some point last year, so a lot of the early problems were patched by the time I played it. I remember the chills the first time that horde all started piling out of the train off the bridge!

Agree on the early camps too, I wasn't properly sucked into it until I reached Lost Lake. From there, I don't think I played anything else until completion.

A lot of the criticism too I think was the genre being played out, but I never played the likes of Dying Light, Day Z, State of Decay or the 20 other zombie games.

mark6226

I played it on the pro and didn't like the game.

Controls were picky. The game didn't flow.

I've never got anywhere near to finishing it.

Out of all the brilliant exclusives they could have brought out they bring out this one.

The uncharted games and last of us 1 and 2 will sell massively on Pc.

I doubt many will bother with days gone. Esp if its full price.

I've bought it once and that is enough for me.

More than enough.

Stockholm

Distinguished Member
Some tips for people who haven't played the game:

- If you finish the game make sure to keep playing after the end credits roll. There are still more missions to complete and probably the most jaw-dropping one in the entire game occurs after the credits roll! Strange decision by the game's designers but it's a mission that has to be seen if you enjoyed the story.

- Go back to your mountain safehouse regularly, even during late-game, as it always replenishes the stronghold with valuable parts that can sometimes be difficult to find out in the open.

- Upgrade your nitro boost asap as it gets you out of so many hairy moments on the road.

- Try not to use the minimap to ride from location to location as it causes collisions on occasion! Wish they integrated the minimap better than shoving it down at the bottom corner. You eventually become familiar with the areas you're in and no longer need to rely on the minimap as much to get from point A to point B.

If anybody who hasn't played Days Gone wants a taste for the sort of random encounters you experience during the game this clip is a decent example of what to expect. Only watch from 15:56 to 19:00 to avoid story spoilers. There's a lot more besides this example but it's the sort of mad stuff that can occur and shows off parts of the game's brilliant weather system.

Last edited:

Stockholm

Distinguished Member
Cheers @Cha1ky looks good. Day one buy for me even though I'm not long finished the PS4 version. Would love to see another game especially after the ending.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
40 quid is a bit steep !
All tho the improvement in graphics should be decent, even the ps4 version was very good for 7/8 year old console

I have it on disk for ps4/5 played about 3/4 hours then put it down and never picked it back up .

huxley

40 quid is a bit steep !
All tho the improvement in graphics should be decent, even the ps4 version was very good for 7/8 year old console

I have it on disk for ps4/5 played about 3/4 hours then put it down and never picked it back up .
£31.79 on CDKeys - worth it?

sykotik

Distinguished Member
£31.79 on CDKeys - worth it?
That is a much better price, ( is it worth , from the "play of game" i really couldn't say - only put about 3/4 into it - so haven't really given it much time to say yea or nay !!

but it's very tempting , given it will/should have unlocked frame rate and much better graphix.

Stockholm

Distinguished Member
Released on PC today. Looking forward to 4k 60fps... and knocking
Skizzo's
teeth out again the rat.

huxley

Booted this up on Steam at lunchtime.
Presentation and GFX options are nice. Game runs nice and smooth.
Running a 3080 with the high setting I`m getting about 90fps. Locked the vsync to 60hz as I`m gaming on a 65" tv. Been looking forward to this.

YokerBloke

Booted this up on Steam at lunchtime.
Presentation and GFX options are nice. Game runs nice and smooth.
Running a 3080 with the high setting I`m getting about 90fps. Locked the vsync to 60hz as I`m gaming on a 65" tv. Been looking forward to this.
It kind of kicks your ass to begin with, but once you unlock bike upgrades/skills/weapons etc. It becomes a lot more fun.

VastGirth

How bad is the open-world bloat/busy work? Thinking about picking this up but really don't want another clear-the-icons-off-the-map ubisoft style bore-fest.

huxley

How bad is the open-world bloat/busy work? Thinking about picking this up but really don't want another clear-the-icons-off-the-map ubisoft style bore-fest.
Only played an hour or so. It warns you if you’re going outside the mission area in the beginning, so I’m not sure how open world it is.
enjoyed what I’ve played so far

YokerBloke

Only played an hour or so. It warns you if you’re going outside the mission area in the beginning, so I’m not sure how open world it is.
enjoyed what I’ve played so far
This warning is confined to the mission you're on, although not every mission has it. It's open world off mission

Stockholm

Distinguished Member

It is repetitive in terms of the missions you need to do to increase your standing at various camps. Definitely a weakness. But on the other hand just driving around Bend, Oregon is something I personally enjoyed throughout the game. I hate dull busywork in open-world games but actually finished all of the side quests in order to maximise my standing at every camp in the game so it was tolerable enough I suppose.

Ubisoft busywork feels more lifeless than what Bend Studio asks of the player.

Playing through Days Gone is one of the highlights of the PS4 gen for me, and I initially sold the game days after release as I couldn't get into it. Glad I returned to it to finish it during lockdown.

Stockholm

Distinguished Member
PC port is quality. Loving replaying this at 60fps 4k 110% render scale. Hardly ever any drops in fps and the better res, fov and lighting (crank the lighting up to max for Screen Space Ray Traced Global Illumination) turn an already cracking looking game into a gorgeous one.

Love Deacon's grouchiness and snarky comments! Sam Witwer did a great job with him.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Pick this up last week , all ready past the point i was while playing it on the Ps4/5
and liking it a lot , looks great at 2160p and hitting a steady 80+ FPS
can see me putting a good few hours into this :)

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JBL announces L52 Classic speaker and L75ms all-in-one
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony Bravia XR X95J TV range gets 65-inch model in August
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What was new on Blu-ray for July 2021
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
Samsung QD-OLED TVs primed for 2022 launch?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky to add NBCUniversal's Peacock service
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom