Days Gone (PS4)

it’s in the spring sale on the PS Store for £24.99 @Jreg @mooperman

If either of you use Shopto they’re selling £25 top up codes for £22.85.

Edit: It's actually £19.49 if you have PS Plus. I wasn't logged into my account earlier so it wasn't showing.
Yeah I seen that and picked it up a few days ago. I love it, I get lost in it and really enjoy creeping around taking people out.

It took a while to get use to the bike controls but I have the hang of it now. Also, the sound in the game is great, being able to pinpoint gunshot direction by sound alone is always a plus.

No I have this, God of War, nioh 2 and resident Evil VR to finish 😂

Ooh just to add, I'd spend all day in photo mode in this game.

IMG_20200411_115127_800.jpg

PS_Messages_20200410_095255.jpg

Initial critics be damned.
critics were tough on it but then I've seen video's were people are praising it and saying that it runs like a different game then the day 1 release version.
Seems massively underrated from what I’ve been playing!
basically critics are more and more out of touch
Nice, this game was a really weird example of it and I got the same feeling. Alright, I didn't play it on release so updates might have saved my experience, but I felt this game had a target on its back from the moment it dropped its first trailer. There was a different vibe surrounding this exclusive compared to others such as Horizon or God Of War, like the people or magazines that (somehow) still have a certain pull within the industry decided from day one that this game was going to be a six and would always be a six whatever the final product was.

Some criticism on for instance the performance will have been merited, I can't tell as I didn't play the game without an update or two. But other negatives such as the story or the gameplay, which didn't have anything to do with the updates, still had that weird target-on-the-back-vibe around it. Now, I play a lot of stuff and usually take a quick Metacritic peak at release to gauge reception, however I don't listen to them except for performance issues and still play the games I want to play even if they get a 20 score. So I did as well with Days Gone, cause this one looked alright.

Almost nothing of the criticism held up in the end. I went in expecting some stupid generic Michael Bay blockbuster but was surprised it was rather one of those class Hollywood products you still find every now and then, Tom Cruise had a few of those the past decade. It was beautifully made in the audiovisual departments, the story was a bit long maybe but overall and in combination with the writing kinda more than decent and rugged on a mature level, the performances by the actors were more than good enough, the game was super fun to play and the gameplay had A LOT of stuff going on throughout its 40 hours.

I still don't get it, maybe if a more loved developer had made this game it would have been received better. Hopefully SIE Bend gets another chance despite all of this.

I've had this game since release and got back into it over the last week. I've reached a crossroads in the game where the northern area is no longer accessible, so I've just been cleaning up as much as possible before I head south, although I'm sure at some point in the game, I will be able to access the entire map once again.

I love this is game, my only criticism is the constant loading, seems to jump to a loading screen for everything, slightly annoying. But apart from that, a throughly enjoyable experience that i recommend to anyone.

P.S. The poor reviews for this game are BS. Just my opinion.

Yeah, I've been constantly surprised (in a good way) by this since buying it last week. I really dig the tone and setting (I get really immersed in it!) and appreciate its aimed at the more mature end of the market. At the moment, I'd put it right up there with the other marquee PS4 exclusives such as TLoU, God of War, HZD, Uncharted etc.

As I said before, I like the story progression and how everything seems tied together. It seems like there's a lot to do with a lengthy storylines and even the side missions feel worthwhile as it nudges the progression % of other storylines along a bit too. I'm at Iron Mikes camp now with Boozer getting treatment for his arm, done a couple of missions here now. At a guess I'm maybe 50% of the way through?

My only niggle at this stage is the writing/voice-acting of the main character - it's largely fine, but there are times where he what he says, and how he's says it seems at odds with the situation - e.g. he suddenly seems to start shouting, or comes across as a total a-hole or is just suddenly exasperated during a normal civil convo ("aww goddammit!"). It's really weird, but probably nit-picking here.

I've had this game since release and got back into it over the last week. I've reached a crossroads in the game where the northern area is no longer accessible, so I've just been cleaning up as much as possible before I head south, although I'm sure at some point in the game, I will be able to access the entire map once again

I got to this point yesterday. I played for further 2 hours and I like the look of the new area. Lots of cool new weapons and bike customizations available too.

I think I'm getting close to the end of the story now. I had to take on my first horde and it was pretty intense! Got so close to dying but just managed to take the last few out - heart was racing at the end! Wasn't fully prepared though - had a sniper rifle as my special whereas I'd have taken a MG if I'd have known. Luckily the primary I had was a tommy gun type thing which did a pretty decent job of mowing a few down, along with the proximity mines I'd placed around.

It's definitely surprised me how long the main story is. Plenty of content here!

I've just reached the point where the Rippers have attacked
Lost Lake
and so now I'm off to
blow up the dam to drown them all

Been playing for quite a while but not really sure how far through the story I really am.

Just finished the main story. Excellent game imo. Think the gaming media were a bit harsh. I saw the reviews and thought it would be pretty average, but it’s far far better than that. Lengthy campaign too without ever feeling too repetitive or grindy. Thought the story was well-told overall but some parts came across quite goofy.

Still, really enjoyed it. Would be great if there was another in the works.

Just finished the main story. Excellent game imo. Think the gaming media were a bit harsh. I saw the reviews and thought it would be pretty average, but it’s far far better than that. Lengthy campaign too without ever feeling too repetitive or grindy. Thought the story was well-told overall but some parts came across quite goofy.

Still, really enjoyed it. Would be great if there was another in the works.

Have you gotten to the "hidden" ending yet, if so you will know it leaves it ripe for the sequel, if not.....go find it, its great

Have you gotten to the "hidden" ending yet, if so you will know it leaves it ripe for the sequel, if not.....go find it, its great

Yeah, I got it. I carried on playing after finishing as I wanted to level up all camps to lvl3 so took on a few hordes and the few missions it gives. Then it triggered :)

I think days gone shows how much of a disconnect there is between reviewers and actual gamers. Everyone one i know whos actually played it has really enjoyed it ive got mates who arnt big gamers hardly ever complete anything but this they got hooked on all the way to the end.

where as the reviewers would make out its meh average

I think days gone shows how much of a disconnect there is between reviewers and actual gamers. Everyone one i know whos actually played it has really enjoyed it ive got mates who arnt big gamers hardly ever complete anything but this they got hooked on all the way to the end.

I think the problem is in a lot of cases reviewers only get to play a very small snipet of the game which doesnt necessarily showcase the story of the entire game. If its a game I know I want to play (like the Last of Us 2) I wont watch anything about it, just buy and play. If its something im not sure of ill watch a trailer and possibly some gameplay and make my own decision. Sadly that decision is sometimes influenced by the trophy list (but not if its a must play game as Ill play it whatever the trophies are but if its something that is borderline a bad trophy list could put me off)

I always wanted to play Days Gone right from the start since they did the first developers diaries showing the dynamic weather and random encounters, and actually encountering the first horde was just epic....of course I died so quickly but it was amazing.

generally reviewers get given a free copy to review before the game is released and most play to the end to give a full review

It's certainly better than the reviews, but it's not perfect. For me the biggest issue with the game is that the best thing in it is the hordes, but you have to get way too deep into the game before you can really take them on.

It's a really good game and I'm enjoying it, but the pacing maybe could have used a bit of tweaking.

I'm now looking at a way to escape ...

from the militia with Sarah

... so reckon I'm getting pretty close to the end of the story

I think the game now is a different proposition to the game that launched. I think there were a lot of bugs and glitches on release but Bend have supported the game well since launch and it’s a lot more stable now - that’s what I’ve read anyway, and from my playthrough holds up - can’t remember encountering any bugs/glitches.

I do agree on the point above about Hordes - they could have been brought into the equation more a little earlier, even if they were some of the smaller ones. I mean, you can come across them randomly but there aren’t any missions to take them out til the latter parts of the story.

Bought it in the sale for £20 and it was great fun. I really enjoyed the story and the game looked amazing. I stuck with the crossbow for most of the game apart from horde duties and then I got the LMGs out. I'll certainly be recommending it to anyone who hasn't played it.

Now I need something else to play until June 19th :D

Just started this. I haven't read through this thread, to avoid potential spoilers, so apologies if this question has been answered already!

What the hell is wrong with the manual save system - or possibly more accurately what am I doing incorrectly?!

I'm only playing this in short bursts so don't have time to finish off missions in one go. Still at the very very beginning...
I have just exited a tunnel and got to a motel/gas station with Boozer (?). He's cleared off on the bike; Deacon is left to fend for himself. On the first couple of attempts I've meticulously cleared out the motel rooms and nests, and hoovered up all the odds and sods, manually saving every now and then as it was taking me a while as I'm getting used to the mechanics of the game and picking up everything I can. The first time through I wasn't paying attention so messed up and got killed by a "Newt in the boot".
I then tried to reload the saved game but it put me back to the initial cut scene which was a bit annoying, but I thought perhaps I'd, somehow, not picked the right save option in the menu. So I repeated all that lot again, getting further than my previous "mistake" and...
crept towards the petrol station.
That was that for the session so I manually saved and shut down the PS4. However on firing it up again today it was back to the bloody cut scene! 😠

There's probably no need to spoiler tag any of that, as it's so early on in the game, but I have done anyway out of courtesy!

Was it too early in the game for me to be allowed to save mid-mission? Not sure what the point is in having a save game option in the menu if it doesn't do anything!

Last edited:
Just started this. I haven't read through this thread, to avoid potential spoilers, so apologies if this question has been answered already!

What the hell is wrong with the manual save system - or possibly more accurately what am I doing incorrectly?!

I'm only playing this in short bursts so don't have time to finish off missions in one go. Still at the very very beginning...
I have just exited a tunnel and got to a motel/gas station with Boozer (?). He's cleared off on the bike; Deacon is left to fend for himself. On the first couple of attempts I've meticulously cleared out the motel rooms and nests, and hoovered up all the odds and sods, manually saving every now and then as it was taking me a while as I'm getting used to the mechanics of the game and picking up everything I can. The first time through I wasn't paying attention so messed up and got killed by a "Newt in the boot".
I then tried to reload the saved game but it put me back to the initial cut scene which was a bit annoying, but I thought perhaps I'd, somehow, not picked the right save option in the menu. So I repeated all that lot again, getting further than my previous "mistake" and...
crept towards the petrol station.
That was that for the session so I manually saved and shut down the PS4. However on firing it up again today it was back to the bloody cut scene! 😠

There's probably no need to spoiler tag any of that, as it's so early on in the game, but I have done anyway out of courtesy!

Was it too early in the game for me to be allowed to save mid-mission? Not sure what the point is in having a save game option in the menu if it doesn't do anything!

My brother picked this up on the weekend and the same thing happened to him.

If you continue on with the story a little bit you'll eventually have your bike back. From there you can save at the bike by holding triangle, as long as the bike is stationary. I did this every time I stopped anywhere (I always saved my game this way and rarely used the save option in the options menu)

You are not far from this point anyway, maybe another 20 minutes or so

Okay, thanks for that. At least that (probably) means it wasn't just me being a moron then!

Guess that's another downside of buying a digital copy - there's no manual to tell me this! :D

The basic version is £15.99 on the PS Store - that's where I got it from. :)

Okay, thanks for that. At least that (probably) means it wasn't just me being a moron then!

Guess that's another downside of buying a digital copy - no manual to tell me this! :D

The basic version is £15.99 on the PS Store - that's where I got it from. :)

Do they still make manuals ??

I remember the PS1 days where the game box was only heavy because of the novel inside

Do they still make manuals ??

I remember the PS1 days where the game box was only heavy because of the novel inside

Probably not nowadays, or if they do it's only a single page pamphlet.

Sometimes, however, due to my slightly advanced age and shortened attention span I like to be spoon fed the instructions... I still remember the manual for Elite on the BBC Micro. Now that's the sort of thing I need! :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom