1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daylight projection!?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by satlogic, May 26, 2004.

1. satlogic

satlogic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks,

I'm considering getting rid of my TV and getting a projector *instead*.

My budget is £5000 - so I figured that'd be £4000 for the projector and £1000 for a motorised screen. (Any recommendations?)

The question is - is it possible to get a good quality projected image without closing curtains, blinds etc.
    i.e. I have a well lit room and I want to use a projector - is it possible (or do I need to spend a lot more)?
    What's the key here; lumens or contrast ratio? (which has a greater affect on the clarity of an image irrespective of how much sunlight is in the room?)

Having a TV and projector is not an option (I'd get a plasma otherwise).

Thanks in advance,
    Sat

2. dazmanultra

dazmanultra
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you find a projector that can project "black" ? ;)

It has to be at least a little dark, otherwise the picture will be completed washed out. :)

3. satlogic

satlogic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, but I guess I need to know if someone out there knows whether this can be done for the budget in mind.
    There's plenty of very good projectors around at the £4k mark (i.e. RRP around £6k).

Is there anyone out there that does use their projector instead of a TV in a well lit room? If so then what's your config and how good is the image?

Ta
    Sat

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All projectors will look bad in a well lit room irrespective of lumen output, contrast ratio etc.

I'd suggest a plasma ;)

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Unfortunately the best you could do is run a very bright, washed-out image with grey instead of black during the day (and perhaps one of Vutects new High Gain screens - 6.0 gain with no effect on viewing angle :eek: ). The picture will be washed out in the day, but worse still you will be very unlikely to get a decent picture when you are in blackout conditions either :( since the projector and screen would have to be so bright for day use.

As far as I can tell you have a few options (none of them involving a projector being the only display available):

Projector and Plasma - for 5k you wold go 2.5 on Plasma with various accessories and cables, 2.5 on something like tosh MT500, or cheaper LCD (Hitachi PJ-TX100 @ £1060) and more budget on electric screen, cabling and converters etc.

Projector and LCD screen - less than a grand on a smallish LCD TV to whet your daytime thirst, and a decent Matterhorn chip DLP like Sharp Z200, NEC HT1100 etc and an electric screen

Projector and old telly in the corner - this gives you whole 5K which will get you the Mitsubishi HC2000 (amazing HD2+ DLP for just under £5000). You said this may not be an option but insome cases it is worth reconsidering for the sake of having a kickass projector when the sun goes down :cool:

Hope this helps!!

6. johnsattuk

johnsattuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have gone along this route and have ended up with a rear projection setup using a 'Litebox' and a black bead screen, The picture is quite veiwable in fairly high ambient light conditions, although obiviously better with less. It depends to some extent on the layout and the space you have available.

7. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Get a 50 inch plasma, like a panny PD or HD 6

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Just to emphasis what others have said.

A projector can only throw "positive" amounts of light onto the screen.

When the signal is supposed to be black, all a projector can do is throw nothing at all. Hence, the colour of black is dependent on what colour the screen is, when the projector is off.

If the screen is illuminated by ambient light, then that's what colour black will be. The only way to get black on an illuminated screen would be for the screen fabric to be black. But then, it wouldn't reflect the inentional image thrown by the projector anyway so it would be pointless. Your screen has to be white or light grey; so your (illuminated) blacks will also be white or light grey.

9. johnsattuk

johnsattuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My RP screen is a deep matt black non reflective surface, I have a 42" panni mounted underneath it for casual viewing of the news etc. and other than very bright conditions, I prefer the PJ

10. satlogic

satlogic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone,

Guess I need to see some demos - bear in mind I'm not fussed about the quality too much when I'm watching normal daytime tv, and when I'm watching something "special" then I'll close the blinds.

So if I get a decent screen then in most light conditions I should be okay (my room is not mega brights - screen location would be about 10ft from the windows - which would be perpendicular) - and if there's a really bright sun out then I can always close a few blinds.

johnsattuk, what PJ have you got?

thanks again
    Sat

11. johnsattuk

johnsattuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Jvc D-ila Sx21

12. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    They need darkness or near darkness to be anywhere near decent. And a projector is not a replacement for a TV.

This has been covered loads of times before. I agree. Get a plasma.

13. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    A plasma won't give you the real big-screen movie experience.

A projector won't give you good results unless in a darkened room - ie. for daytime TV.

Although you have already dismissed this (I'm not sure why) the solution is to have a projector for movies and sports (whatever takes your fancy) and always use it in the dark. AND a smallish TV for watching soaps or whatever.

The two things together could easily cost less than (and produce better results than) any half-decent plasma.

14. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I dont agree. Personally, for his budget, he can get a decent projector AND a decent 42" Plasma. The Plasma will make a great big screen TV and he has the projector for movies and sport.

Its what I have and quite a few people on the forums have the same.

I think people were talking about an either or situation you are right in saying he can have both for this sort of money and get decent kit as well.

I was just saying that if its only going to be used in a well lit enviroment you cant have a projector and that a projector is not a suitable replacement for your TV.

15. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I agree with this too, I have a both a plasma and projector and use them according to each of their strengths. I have a budget Panasonic PT-AE100 bought cheap off the forum but I am pretty impressed with the results using component and the size of the image is something you take for granted after awhile. Then again, it doesn't get much use in the daytime and the plasma produces vastly more vivid and sharper images and brightness even in a well lit room. So get the best of both worlds.

16. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    You'll be surprised how good an image you can get with high ambient light and a Stewart Firehawk screen - I was!

Da-Lite do a 1.1 gain screen which may be a good compromise, but I personaly would go the dual display route as others have suggested.

Gary.