Day Z Standalone (Can I open a can of fish with a shovel?)

majnu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where is the Standalone Release?

I suppose I should start with the question everyone wants to know… where is DayZ Standalone? Obviously, it’s not here. At Eurogamer I said that DayZ had to be out before the end of the year and that’s come and gone. I still stand by that comment, to achieve what we had originally wanted, we did have to be out by the end of the year - and we’ve failed to achieve that.

Put simply, DayZ Standalone isn’t here because we had the chance to go from making a game that was just the mod improved slightly, packaged simply, and sold - to actually redeveloping the engine and making the game the way we all dreamed it could be. This blew any initial plans we had dictated to pieces.

The plan going forward

The plan from here is straightforward. We will be releasing a closed test imminently, during which approximately 500-1000 people will assist in ensuring our architecture is correctly functioning. This closed test will be focused purely on architecture, not the game design. Once we have confirmed fixes for issues arising from the closed test, we will then reschedule an internal date for our public release.

What has been done?

One of the most profound and major architectural changes has had its initial implementation completed, this is the overhaul of the inventory system. In fact, the inventory and item management system was completely removed and rewritten from the ground by Jirka, one of the original engine programmers. The work that has been completed on this groundbreaking, and it going to fundamentally change the DayZ experience.

You scavenge for items now, as individual parts, picking up pieces rather than piles, looking for cans on shelves or under beds. The new system opens the door for durability of items, disease tracking (cholera lingering on clothes a player wears…), batteries, addon components, and much more. If you shoot a player in the head to take his night vision, you will damage the night vision. The changes to this inventory system are huge.

An additional area of change has been to make the inventory system more intuitive along with a key focus on providing visceral feedback on your progress through what inventory you have. The use of drag-and-drop, 3D models rather than 2D pictures, and being able to add items/clothing to your character in 3D in the inventory screen - have all come out of months of design work and research. I’m extremely pleased with the results of Jirka and Hladas, two of the programmers who have been working on implementing the design ideas. I believe the changes to this inventory system will fundamentally change the nature of the DayZ experience.

We are not at the point where we can release meaningful videos or screenshots of the system, but we have now confirmed the base architecture is working in game. Likely, the first that will come out about the inventory system will be during the closed test when people are actually using it.

UI Changes

ArmA community legend kju has been part of the DayZ development for some time, and is now one of your key development members. He has been working with our CEO (Marek) and me to develop the DayZ UI. We have been greatly inspired by Minecraft to make the UI simple and effective, rather than flashy and complex. All our art and code efforts are going into the game, the UI is being designed to be straightforward and functional just like in Minecraft.

Art Progress

A huge amount of work is being completed on art. I’m including some more additional pictures taken from around Chernarus. We have some massive plans now that all interiors have been completed, as rather than moving them on to other projects we are now giving them exciting new things to create.

One of the new artists on the team is a texture artist, and has been working on revising the textures for our new building interiors so they look more post-apocalyptic. Some of these changes can be seen in the work-in-progress pictures I have included.

Map Progress

The lead architect of the revised (and original) Chernarus map, Ivan Buchta, is still imprisoned in Greece on charges of espionage - and is a great loss to the team. Luckily, through letters, Ivan is able to provide some input and insight into the development of the map. Regardless, the continued imprisonment of him and Martin Pezlar has a significant impact on our ability to redevelop Chernarus.

http://dayzdev*************/post/39933141266/where-is-the-standalone-release-i-suppose-i

Early Access now out on Steam
DayZ on Steam

AVF Steam username list
The AVForums Username Thread | AVForums

Team Speak Channel Details
[AVF] Teamspeak Server and Other Servers Info | AVForums

DayZ Knowledge Base
- Official DayZ Forum
- Town and City names
- Chernarus Plus Map
- Loot Map
- Status Effects

Beginners Guide and Videos

Android and IOS Apps
Android

- DayZ Central Standalone
- DayZ Standalone Map - iZurvive

IOS
- TBA

Reviews
- Rock, Paper, Shotgun Alpha Impressions

Last edited:
I am so excited about this. I've put more hours into DayZ than any other game this year, simply fantastic.

I just missed the deal on gamersgate for Arma 2 combined ops ***

At this point it's probably okay to wait for the standalone, I'd say, unless another really good ARMA II deal comes around. Although he's being a bit vague on timescales I'd be surprised if there wasn't an alpha or some sort of early version out in the next couple of months (a la Minecraft)

Just bought it on classified for £12.49 :D

Then check THIS out:

(More practically, get DayZ commander, which'll sort out all the mod files etc for you Home › DayZ Commander)

EDIT: That vid will be more meaningful when you've played a bit, but still worth a look

yeah my mate just told me to get DayZ Commander.

Cant wait for SA

I finally gave in an bought ArmaII during the steam winter sale and gave DayZ ago and I love it and can not wait for the stand alone version.

The UI and Inventory are certainly the two areas that confuse the hell out of a new player, it took me a good couple of days just to get a hang of the oddities and bugs when switching things around in bags and stuff.

Hopefully it won't be too long until a release.

we should meet up on a server guys :D

Can recommend the BSM Taviana server, always jam packed, good guys on it and one of the most popular servers out there, cool map too

What is your steam name :)

I'm so excited for the release of this, looks like it will be brilliant. Here's a link to the accompanying tumblr post by Rocket: http://******/1Iyb2

• If you are bleeding but have no bandages, remove your shirt and right click it to tear off a rag - this can be used to stop bleeding. Note: This does not work if your clothes are damp.
  • Use Tab to view your inventory. For a detailed explanation of the new inventory system see here.
  • You spawn with a torch and battery. Drag the battery onto the torch to power it. Drag the torch to your hand to wield it. Pressing space aims the torch ahead at the sacrifice of movement speed.
  • If you can't find any servers, try clicking the "Internet" tab - it may be defaulted to LAN.
  • Change the quality of the clouds to very high to improve vision at night time | Video
  • Increasing the gamma and brightness from the settings will also help you see better at night time.
  • For a map of the new Chernarus see here.
  • Use the number keys to cycle through your weapons.
  • Pressing space lowers/raises your weapon accordingly. If you aren't carrying anything space will ready your fists to punch.
  • Hold down right click to zoom in.
  • Holding Alt locks the direction of your movement, allowing you to look around while running without changing direction.
  • Pay extra attention when looking for loot, some loot isn't immediately obvious.
  • Avoid the coast unless you're looking for trouble. Head in-land after spawning.
  • Poor framerate? Go to Documents > DayZ and open DayZ.cfg in Notepad. Change GPU_MaxFramesAhead and GPU_DetectedFramesAheadto = 1.

DayZ Tip Thread : dayz

After watching the youtube videos from last Friday, it does look better than it did and i always fancied having a go at it previously.

Might have to take a look at this now its standalone and looking a bit nicer

Ill prob take the plunge sooner or later... i loved the first Mod so this will be Great!

There's a lot of similarly-themed games out like this right now, all in early access. Playing Project Zomboid at the moment, Rust looks similar as well, survival, scavenging, crafting, etc.

Just as well I like the concept, will add this to my wishlist :)

Whilst DayZ was in development we were bombarded with zombie survival mods/games (including Arma3 DayZ mod). The consumer is spoilt for choice but any game that uses microtransactions like Nether or Infestation is an automatic "not buying" for me.

I'm not 100% sure on the purchase model for DayZ Standalone but if anything like Arma3, buying early access will be cheaper then when the game is finally released.

I've put so much time into the mod, I'm happy to take a punt on the alpha just out of curiosity. In any case, Rocket's earned my cash.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom