1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Day of Defeat

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by tony kop77, May 14, 2003.

1. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I am thinking of buying this game on Friday for 315. I dont have any half life versions so i have to buy the retal version of Day of Defeat. I have been addicted to medal of Honor latley and woudl like to know if day of Defeat is a better game and if so why is it.
    How many people can play in one game for example medal of honour the most is 24 players and are the maps big and how many maps are there .
    thank you for your help.

2. wolfeh

wolfeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi, i the max players is 32 (i think) but that doesnt always work on the maps as they are all very differn't sizes. dod is a very good game, is more team based than bf1942 which is just frustrating if you want to play it properly. i cant compare it to MoH:AA as ive not played it online. there is about 8 maps i think with the new release and ive still not played them all.
    But why buy the retail version when you can pick up a copy of half-life for next to nothing now (or £7.99 from play.com ) and download the mod version for free :D

3. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Indeed, you could probably find it even cheaper.
    Also it means you can play Counterstrike and all the other mods which make it even better value.

4. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Doh :(. I have orederd Day of Defeat now for £14.99 from Gameplay. I did have half life ages ago when i had a 266 but lost the cd key. I bought half life again but did not come with the cd code that was the budget version. I have not bought the game again since then.
    I am playing Medal of Honor at the min and if Day of Defeat is half as good i will be happy :). I would love there to be a all v all in day of defeat like medal of honour.

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    If you enjoy online muitiplayer treat yourself to Black Hawk Down.
    I haven't been able to put it down the last month or so.
    I've ordered half life again since I lost the cd key . I have aready downloaded CS and DOD ready for when it arrives. Then it'll be time to kick some ass.

6. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Slighlty changing the subject what spec pcs would you class as high end spec.
    Black Hawk down i heard mixed opions. I owuld buy it but not working at the miniute, i like the look of the matrix as well out this Friday.

7. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Day of Defeat is an absolutely brilliant game. And if you've never played it before, the new version is much more accessible to new players. (minimap, help tips, etc)

Right now, there's a few bugs that cause it to run poorly on some machines, but hopefully a patch will be out shortly that will take care of that.

Shop around for servers too, to find out which ones you like best. Some play with Friendly Fire on, some off. Some have full rotation of the maps, some play the same maps over and over. Some are full of idiots, and others have people who actually want to work as a team.

I downloaded the game, as I've already got Half-life. The retail version does have 2 additional maps, and a fancy visual GUI that the DL version doesn't have. (although you can just download the missing maps anyway)

Admittedly, the Half-life engine is showing its age, but DoD has a great team-based system that is unmatched.

8. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I just bought this game installed it on my system but everytime i try to run it i get Norton's saying a remote system is attempting to access your computer.
    Protocol: UDP (Inbound)
    Remote Addess:home-91 gyywo7r2.

Has anyone else had this problem, i dont think nortons should be telling me a remote system is attempting to access my computer it never says this on other games i play on line.

9. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Another thing that happnes is i click on the shortcut to run the game and i get the message about 5 times that a remote system is trying to access my computer i choose to block it.
    I then get the day of Defeat option page and i can hear the icon moving up and down when i move my mouse but i do not see the arrow moving and nothing happens either.

The only way i can then exite the game is pressing ctrl, alt delete and choose to end the programe that way

10. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I disabled my firewall see if the game would run and it did but i dont want to have my firewall disabled especially as i am broadband. I dont want to be an easy target for the hackers.

12. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    What you will need to do is find the UDP port that the game is trying to run on. There is no info on the support forums you may need to look on google.

Once you have the port number you will need to tell Norton to let it through to your PC. This should be documented in the instruction manual.

13. boogie man

boogie man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the port for dod & half-life is 27015

boogie man or check here :clap: :smashin:

14. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I was playing games on line ok untill 2 days ago where my Norton Inteernet Security firewall just blocks it. I either get the server hanging or a message saying a remote control was trying to access your computer. I do not have any trojans or viruses i did a check.