• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

day 2 on sky BB

pittsy46

Established Member
Guys,
Got my line stats below and have already seen an increase in speed!
Reckon it might get any better, i am confused about the noise margin, should it be higher or lower when the exchange is along way away?

Router Statistics

System Up Time: 18:43:41
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time WAN MER 87682 3048840 0 4702 0 0:36:45 LAN Up 2583393 1845231 0 17 0 18:43:41 WLAN Up 560846 441742 0 224626 5278 18:43:21 ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 2167 kbps 606 kbps Line Attenuation 64.5 dB 37.5 dB Noise Margin 7.1 dB 9.6 dB Poll Interval: (secs, at least 3s)
cheers for yout thoughts.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
That's similar to what I get, it may go up a bit, but I wouldn't expect it to rise dramatically on 64 attenuation.

pittsy46

Established Member
I am pretty chuffed so far, gone from 0.8 meg to over 2 meg most of the time, obviously I would like more but living in a village I know that it will never be super fast!

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Pretty much the same here, except I live in a modern town, Milton Keynes, where you'd expect the infrastructure to be pretty good, but it's rubbish :laugh:

I was stuck on about 1.4mb for years, all the speed checkers gave little hope of getting anything higher and pretty much as good as said I should think myself lucky to get that much.

My speed dropped to 0.4mb for a while and Pipex/Talk Talk couldn't or wouldn't sort it out, so I ditched them and went with Sky.

Couldn't be happier to be honest, my speed briefly went to 2.8mb but has since settled to around 2.2 on 62.5 attenuation, which is pretty much 50% quicker than the highest I was getting.

Of course I'd be even happier if I could get 20mb but that won't be happening anytime soon :)

Prominent Member
Guys,
i am confused about the noise margin, should it be higher or lower when the exchange is along way away?

The lower the better

Key is how long your connected time can go with a lower noise margin.

Best results may well be 6db noise margin if the router can hold the connection to the exchange over some days

A higher noise margin (eg 12 db) will enable router to hold on to connection on noisier line but with lower speeds

Don't switch router off overnight over 10 days while system adjusts

Read these...
Improving your ADSL MAX Broadband connection - SNR/Noise Margin/Line Speed/Attenuation etc.
Internet Software
::. Kitz - ADSL Router Line Stats .::

pittsy46

Established Member
Right.....
10 days gone and out of testin period, i have noticed a drop in speed for the last 4 days or so, going from over 2 meg down to less than 1 meg.
called sky and the guy said he could tweak my speed for me but i am not sure wether he knew what he was talking about, he seemed to get lost when i started talking about 'line attenuation' etc.
here are my current stats:
Router Statistics

System Up Time: 189:55:47
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time WAN MER 8412 21663854 0 7 0 0:18:34 LAN Up 18285385 11740442 0 0 5 189:55:47 WLAN Up 3884290 3138211 0 0 825 189:55:27 ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 1502 kbps 413 kbps Line Attenuation 64.0 dB 33.2 dB Noise Margin 8.1 dB 16.0 dB Poll Interval: (secs, at least 3s)
i am not sure but it would seem that my noise margin is a bit high?
i know i aint gonna be superfast but does anyone think i can do better than 1.5meg or am i stuck here??
cheers guys.:thumbsup:

Goooner

Distinguished Member
You could ask them if they'll manually reset your line.

Mine was around 1.5 or just under and I got it reset and it went up to 2.8, but with only 280kbps up, it stayed like that for months until there was an outage, when it came back up it was where it's been ever since, 2.2mb down and 728 or something up.

On that attenuation, I doubt you'll get much more, mine was around that with Pipex and I was getting 1.5mb for years. My attenuation is 62.5 now and I'm getting 2.2.

So, you could ask for a manual reset, just tell them you know your line is capable of higher, just tell them you were getting more from your previous supplier. They did mine while I waited, only took a couple of minutes. It may or may not work, but nothing to be lost in asking.

paxton

Established Member
Goooner, just as a matter of interest, where abouts are you in MK?

I'm in Furzton and get around 12mb with Sky and I'm surprised it's that much worse elsewhere.

pittsy46

Established Member
Just a quick update, spoke to a guy at sky yesterday and he put the speed up to 1.5 meg then got a call from another sky rep this morning who said she had put the speed up to 2 meg and is gonna call me back this afternoon to try some more things because I was busy this morning (well having a lay in anyway)!
Not sure what they are adjusting from their end but it seems to be doing the job!
I just wonder why I was not on the fastest speeds anyway?
Will update later!

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Goooner, just as a matter of interest, where abouts are you in MK?

I'm in Furzton and get around 12mb with Sky and I'm surprised it's that much worse elsewhere.

Walnut Tree, connected to the Bradwell Abbey exchange.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom