'Dawn of the Driverless Car'

SourKraut

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just a heads-up that on BBC 2 at 9pm - Horizon: Dawn of the Driverless Car

The car has shrunk the world, increased personal freedom and in so many ways expanded our horizons, but there is a flipside. Fumes from car exhausts have helped to destroy our environment, poisoned the air we breathe and killed us in far more straightforward ways. But all that is going to change.

This episode of Horizon enters a world where cars can drive themselves, a world where we are simply passengers, ferried about by wholesome green compassionate technology which will never ever go wrong. And it is almost here. Horizon explores the artificial intelligence required to replace human drivers for cars themselves, peers into the future driverless world and discovers that, despite the glossy driverless PR (and assuming that they really can be made to work reliably), the reality is that it might not be all good news. From the ethics of driverless car crashes to the impact on jobs, it might be that cars are about to rise up against us in ways that none of us are expecting.

Dawn of the Driverless Car, 2017, Horizon - BBC Two

Haven't seen the Horizon program.

However, the word 'driverless' is misleading, it is unlikely a car will be developed without any break pedal, accelerator pedal or steering wheel in the foreseeable future. A human driver must be there to keep an eye on things and to take over control should the computers fail in some way.

Maybe in the far distant future it may be possible to have a driverless car, but not within 30 - 40 years IMO.

Haven't seen the Horizon program.

However, the word 'driverless' is misleading, it is unlikely a car will be developed without any break pedal, accelerator pedal or steering wheel in the foreseeable future. A human driver must be there to keep an eye on things and to take over control should the computers fail in some way.

Maybe in the far distant future it may be possible to have a driverless car, but not within 30 - 40 years IMO.

You should have watched the programme. The word driverless was not misleading.

Very interesting, but still a very long way off. The technology is sort of here now, but in the very early stages. But given how fast technology progresses these days I'd say 10 years.

One of the questions that jumped out to me is the morality of a decision. If the driverless car is in a crash situation that can't be avoided, should it hit a car with a young person in it, a pedestrian or a car with an older person in it.

Thanks @SourKraut for the heads up, I thought it was very interesting.

Thank you @IronGiant yes it was very interesting, and I was surprised at just how many companies are embracing the technology.
This is indeed the future...

Nice to see a couple of Nissan Leafs and a Tesla getting a brief appearance :love:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom