1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dawn of the dead

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Shagster, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Shagster

Shagster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone know any more about the new uncut r2 dvd thats coming out soon

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,144
    Moved this to the DVD Talk forum.

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Uncut? The R2 version I have is very complete with arms being ripped off and eaten etc. It's 4:3 though.

4. bar

bar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have also been looking at buying Dawn of the Dead and noticed this uncut version soon to be released.

When looking at this on Play there seemed to be no difference in the length of this compared to the Director's cut version.

5. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,729
    The new release is the uncut directors edition with added footage, I have done a story onit a few days back, over at www.totaldvd.net

**EDIT** Actually posted it back on the 31st of Jan, if you are looking for it, have the cover artwork in the story as well.

6. jackjones

jackjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to recall the only cuts to the UK version are for zombie children (BBFC strange take on cruelty to children!) and one shot in the helicopter decapitation scene. It is matter of seconds - BBFC reckons 6.

As for ratio - different versions vary from 1.77:1 to 1.33:1. There is huge debate over the intended. For Romero probably 1.66:1. No idea about the Euro version. I believe the Anchor Bay SE will be 1.77:1 and so you could loose almost as much from overmatting. I await the zombie nuts to tell me to chew my own brain on this point!

I must admit to not having opened my copy of the BMG disc (bought for the Savini commentary as I already have an uncut Dutch version) in case the SE is better.

7. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,729
    From the press release;

Calling all horror fans! DAWN OF THE DEAD will be released on DVD , and for the first time the director's cut of the film will include the much talked about, but rarely seen, long-missing six seconds of footage! Master of special effects Tom Savini (who also worked as an actor and stuntman on the film) provides an audio commentary for this version of the greatest zombie film of all time, directed by George A. Romero and co-written by Romero and Italian horror maestro Dario Argento.
    A National Emergency grips the US as the zombie population grows at an inexplicable and alarming rate. Two Philadelphia Police S.W.A.T. officers, a helicopter pilot and his TV reporter girlfriend escape the city and take refuge in an abandoned, suburban shopping mall after securing it following a series of brutal confrontations with the undead. Their survival is threatened when a band of looters leave a door open allowing the zombies access to the mall once more.

The first sequel to George A. Romero's seminal 1968 zombie classic "Night Of The Living Dead", the equally powerful and apocalyptic DAWN OF THE DEAD was hailed by respected film critic Roger Ebert as "One of the best horror films ever made."
    The Director's Cut of DAWN OF THE DEAD (cert. 18) is released on DVD (£15.99) by BMG Music Programming on 31st March 2003. Featuring an audio commentary by Tom Savini, a stills gallery and scene selection, this release also restores the film's three most controversial (and previously cut) scenes to their original and very gory glory.

8. Exeter Man

Exeter Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen a Night of the Living Dead / Dawn of the Dead / Day of the Dead boxset somewhere.

Does anyone know if this is going to be re-released as a complete uncut trilogy ?

Regards

9. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +805
    Dont think it will be released in a trilogy since AB released the triology and BMG is releasing Dawn uncut.

10. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,615
    That's a head exploding in the swat raid at the beginning and some arm/neck biting during the same raid. The helicopter taking the frankenstein zombie's head off is complete and rather amusing

11. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,615
    If you wait a while, Anchor Bay in the US are releasing a 3 disc set with DTS etc later in the year for both Dawn and Day of the Dead (2 discs). Lots of extras to be included aswell.

12. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,615
    Chew your own brain;)

None of the fullscreen releases have ever been transfered as open mattes, they've always been panned and scanned. Compare one with a widescreen release and you'll see what I mean, there's definitely more on the left and right sides, although the cropping has never harmed the film or caused any info to be lost. Funnily, although he shot for a widescreen presentation (naturally) Romero now reckons he prefers fullscreen (cropped) versions of the film as they add to the claustrophobia and look slighly better framed than widescreen versions.
    Strange man:rolleyes:

13. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wasn't there a release planned with both Romero's cut and Argento's 'Zombie' euro cut on the other side or something?

14. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,615
    The US Anchor Bay SE should have all 3 versions - theatrical, directors cut (although really a rough cut hurriedly prepared for Cannes) and the Argento Euro version

15. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +805
    I remember seeing all thoughs scenes when BBc2 showed it about 3 yrs ago.

16. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,615
    the helicopter taking the top off the zombie's head's never been cut in the UK.
    However, the last time I watched DOTD on TV the exploding head was still missing and you didn't get to see the spurts of blood when the arm and neck got bitten in the SWAT raid. It was all pointless cuts to unconvincing sfx anyway, I don't know why the BBFC even bothered.

Can't say I've ever seen it uncut on TV myself, but respect to BBC2 if they did show it complete

17. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Rambo is right. The helicopter decapitation has always been left intact, as far as I know for the "Dawn..." video and DVD releases, here in the UK. However, cuts were made to the shooting of the zombie children, and shots of zombies biting into people's necks, throats and/or arms.

As for TV showings, when BBC2 aired "Dawn..." about 6 or 7 years ago, they aired the longer 140 minute Director's Cut. However, despite their pre-screening claim of showing the film in all its gory glory, they did indeed censor several scenes, which were as follows:

- the helicopter decapitation (the blades are not shown slicing the zombie's head off)

- the shooting of the zombie children

- the sight of a black woman having her neck/throat been torn out, by her zombified husband, in the opening SWAT attack sequence

- the sequence of Tom Savini's biker gang having their limbs torn off, eaten and/or intestines removed and eaten

Pooch

18. bar

bar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a copy on VHS taped off Bravo, from about 5 years ago, it shows the full uncut version. it would be disappointing to see the film without these gem of a scenes!