1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dawn Of The Dead

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Ron240, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +444
    I was having a look around for this movie and i noticed that Play have a R2 version titled "Dawn Of The Dead - Uncut" due for release on 3rd of March. There is very little other information listed for it,nothing about sound or aspect ratio,not even a picture. I have wanted a completely uncut version of this movie for ages and i was wondering if it really will be uncut? The first time i seen this was on video back in '82 and i believe it was completely uncut then,or if it wasnt it had much more gory scenes than any version i have seen since.:D Does anybody know anything about this?

2. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yes its finally been passed Uncut (with the 6 seconds? restored).
    To be honest i would wait a little while and get the 3 disc set that Anchor bay US are releasing in the Summer as that will include both the Directors cut and the Argento cut plus lots of extras.

3. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well over the years I've heard many stories including a completely different alternate ending which was shot. I only hope one day this is restored and added to the the other extra 20 mins.

Chance will be a fine thing but I would have loved to of seen that alternate helicopter ending. I'm not going to spoil it for those who haven't heard.

Is the 3 discer from anchor just Dawn or all 3 films, one each disc.

Moving on from that, anyone heard of whats happening with dead reckoning the 4th instalment?

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

The 3 discer, will contain:

- Romero's Director's cut of the film (approx 140 mins)
    - Argento's European cut (approx 119 mins)
    - 3rd disc of extras (probably the Roy Frumkes documentary)

As for the 4th installment, "Twilight Of The Dead" (or "Dusk Of The Dead" depending on where you read about it) is still in limbo. Romero wants to do it, but money, FX costs, etc, etc are making it hard for him. It may never see the light of day, if you pardon the pun! :lol:

Pooch

5. Glimmer

Glimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I regularly browse ebay and have seen a 156 minute version of this classic movie listed regularly, but its only available with German dubbed audio !! :eek:

156 minutes...makes you wonder what exactly went back in ! I know there was an issue with some zombie children, but its still a quite a bit longer than the planned 140 minute directors cut.

Has anyone here got the German DVD of Dawn Of The Dead ?

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI,

As far as I know, the German 156 minute cut of "DOTD", is basically a combination edit of Romero's 140 minute edit, plus the alternate footage that appears in the Argento cut.

Hence, it's really not a different cut of the film at all. If you're going to get the 3 disc version, then you'll have the same versions as the German 156 minute cut, but just in their proper formats e.g. the 140 minute Romero cut and 119 minute Argento cut. See the following link at the IMDB for full and extensive details! Be warned, there are a LOT of different versions of this movie in existence!! :eek:

Pooch

7. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes the german version is a combination of both cuts and supposed to be utter rubbish. very interested in the three disc set. I love this film.

8. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +444
    You certainly were not kidding Pooch,ive just had a look at the link you posted.:eek: :rolleyes:
    That is just crazy.I wonder if this film takes the award for most number of different versions released.:D
    It makes it a bit of a minefield for somemebody wanting to buy the best(goriest:D )version available. It also makes you doubtful when there is an alleged "uncut" version released.

9. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Well, the goriest version, would probably be the Argento cut. The longest version, purely for time, would be the 156 minute German version. The longest, legitimate and authenticated cut, would be Romero's 140 minute edit.

I think "DOTD" certainly is one of the most re-edited movies, and hence, that's probably why you have so many different versions in existance. I guess that's always the problem with horror films like this one, though. Every country's censorship standards will vary. Some will be okay with gore, some okay about violence. Some won't approve of a child being shot, others want to keep the gore and violence, but not the storyline so much.

However, if someone really did want to try and get the longest, goriest, most complete version possible of "DOTD", you would have to combine all of the following edits together, into some kind of "Dawn Of The Dead: Ultimate Uncensored Zombie Cut".

You would need:

1) All footage in the DOTD Director's Cut - 140 minutes.

2) The music from the remastered 137-minute "Director's Cut" released recently by Elite on laserdisc. (This "Director's cut" is instead the version rushed into shape for a showing at Cannes. The shorter version shown theatrically has tighter editing and almost all Goblin's music.)

3) Footage from the Japanese Theatrical Version, which has the inclusion, in the beginning, of an explanation. (Herald Films, the Japanese distributor of DOTD, felt that the Japanese audience would not be able to accept the ambiguous setting of zombies on Earth that Romero had so skillfully left unanswered. Instead, they felt the Japanese audience must have an answer or else they wouldn't be able to get the story. They accomplished this by sticking some white words on to a black background that typed across the screen while a heavy clicking came from the soundtrack.)

4) The extra footage of the "dock scene" with Joe Pilato as the police officer, from the Anchor Bay DVD release of the original 126 minute Theatrical Cut, in 1999.

5) All of the unauthorisedm bootleg materal taken from a 16mm reel-to-reel copy of the 138 minute Cannes Film Festival edition.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Okay, as you can well see, this would probably prove to be virtually impossible, but would probably NOT give you any major differences to the 140 minute version we all know and love. However, I don't see why Romero couldn't try getting all these missing scenes and snippets, and include them on the 3-disc Anchor Bay release, as Extras.

I just checked the IMDB link for Ridley Scott's "Blade Runner" and that has multiple versions in existance, it would seem. Check out...

the link here.

I think it may well be the case that some films simply do NOT exist in one, complete, fully-approved, Director-satisfied cut! So, how many other films can we find that have more than 2 versions (the original, and a later Director's (or Extended) Cut? I'm guessing most of the titles will be sci-fi, fantasy or horror related, yes?!

Pooch

10. Delorian

Delorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the 2 DVD Dutch version off e-bay for 15euros. This seems to be the best available right now, it has the Argento cut on the second disc. I'm happy enough with it anyway (although I've only watched the longer version, and fell asleep due to the hour of viewing).

P.S. I don't know who Dutch are but they seem to release loads of band and severly cut stuff uncut. I want to get Ichi the Killer off them soon. Anybody know of cheap retailers of theirs?

11. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

I've just found the following on Anchor Bay's US website.

DAWN OF THE DEAD - Fall/Winter 2003
    George Romero's masterpiece is coming back to DVD in a big way. Featuring newly re-mastered widescreen transfers (16x9 enhanced), new DTS & Dolby EX Surround Sound, all-new cast & crew interviews, all-new audio commentary tracks, trailers, poster & still galleries and more! Available separately will be the original Theatrical Version and the Extended (Director's Cut) Version. Also available will be a special multi-disc box set including an exclusive presentation of the ZOMBI version of the film from Europe. Expect more announcements in the coming months, and please note all features at this point are tentative and subject to change. Closed Captioned for the Hearing Impaired.

DAY OF THE DEAD - August 2003
    The third film in George Romero's Living Dead saga is getting the 2 disc special edition treatment with all-new special features including interviews, audio commentaries (one with filmmaker and fan Roger Avary!), and behind-the-scenes footage. Also there will be new DTS-ES & Dolby EX audio. Expect more announcements in the coming months, all please note and features at this point are tentative and subject to change. Closed Captioned For The Hearing Impaired.

Pooch

12. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Again,

I sat and watched the Argento 117 minute edit of DOTD tonight, and have to say that it's not as good, in my opinion, as Romero's 140 minute edit. Argento's version removes a lot of the story, and goes for all of the action and violence. However, it does include extra material and scenes, plus a lot more violence, that is NOT in the Romero version. It looks like Argento just wanted to go for a 2-hour guns and gore action film, rather than the more restrained and intense horror film that Romero originally created.

I'd have to say, I'd certainly be interested in seeing an English-language edition of the German 156 minute edit, that combines all of the footage from both the Romero Director's cut, and the Argento cut as well!

And from what AB say, in the listing shown in my post above this one, we're going to be looking at at least a 3-disc minimum set for "Dawn....", unless they use seamless branching technology.

Disc 1 will have the original 102 minute edit. Disc 2 will have the 140 minute Romero Director's Cut, and the third disc will contain the 117 minute Argento cut mentioned above! Wow! :eek: In theory, you could even have a five or six disc set, if AB wanted to:

Do discs 1-3 as above, then include:
    Disc 4 - The 156 minute cut (in English)
    Disc 5 - The Ultimate Edition (containing absolutely every piece of available "Dawn.." footage, from every existing print, to make an all-new, never-before-seen edition of the film.
    Disc 6 - All the extras!

Now THAT would be one hell of a Collector's Edition! :clap: Imagine that sitting on your shelf! That would certainly make those people who are concerned about what the "Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition" DVd set is going to contain, drop their jaws in shock, wouldn't it?!

If AB or someone else did actually create a DVD set, containing every variant/edit/cut of this particular movie (as listed on the IMDB website), alongside DTS soundtracks, trailers, audio commentaries, documentaries, unseen footage not in any version of the movie, interviews, special effects footage, scripts, censorship history, etc, etc, just how many discs could this set run to? Six? Eight? More than that?! And would this be the most collectible DVD boxed set in the world, devoted to just one entire film?

(I presume the current record-holder, is "The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring" with a 4-disc set, and a separate 2 disc set, with each disc containing either a version of the movie, or different sets of extras.)

Would you buy such a set? If so, how much would you pay for it? Upto about £60 or more? (Bear in mind TV boxed sets like "The X-Files" tend to sell around £80 rrp.)

Pooch