1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dawn Of The Dead Uncut-Deleted

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Ron240, May 17, 2003.

1. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    I was just having a look through my order history on Play and i noticed that Dawn Of The Dead Uncut(R2) that i bought last month is listed as having been deleted.
    That wasnt on sale for very long,i wonder whats going on there.:confused:

2. Glimmer

Glimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its still listed on Amazon UK as available at time of writing. Maybe they(Play) made a mistake and meant to delete a previous edition of the movie.

By the way, an opinion about the "uncut" edition you bought - any comments ? Does it truly look like it's the definitive length ? Is the helicoptor victim and zombie children in there ?

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

The uncut UK R2 DVD is definitely uncut, in every aspect. However, you may wish to wait until the superior "Dead Boxed Set" comes out from Anchor Bay USA, later in the year, which will be double-discs for all three of the films in the series: "Night Of The Living Dead", "Dawn Of The Dead (both Romero's director's cut, and Argento's shorter, but more violent edition)" and "Day Of The Dead", plus a whole ton of extras.

Pooch

4. Glimmer

Glimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm...any approximate date on that ? I originally heard "Dawn.." was slated for February 2004. I've tried going onto Anchor Bay's website in the U.S. but it's not even listed in coming attractions !!

5. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    The uncut R2 BMG disc is unfortunately 4:3.

It also still has the audo commentary by Tom Savini, from the previous cut release. Thus, he draws reference to missing scenes that have now been re-instated.

Crazy or what. Hold fire till the R1 release as Pooch suggested, or if in dire need, try and track down the Dutch 2 disc set. This has a non anamorphic widescreen print of the directors cut and a 4:3 copy of the Argento cut.

6. eros

eros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you'll find that Dawn OTD was filmed in 4:3 aspect ratio. I have the anchor bay Region0 uncut with the comic book zombie head rising over the horizon on the cover and the notes say it is a 'Matted 16:9 approx print' rather than true theatrical widescreen.

7. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    this is weird because although Romero may have shot it open and then matted it for theatrical release, the Region 2 disc is definitely panned and scanned - I've got both the original UK BMG "directors cut" and the Italian disc of the Argento edit of the film - the Italian disc is a full 1.85:1 widescreen, by comparison the UK disc is zoomed and cropped the sides

8. Glimmer

Glimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats it :mad:

I'm waiting for the Anchor Bay collectors edition/box set. Hopefully that will be the first and only time I have to buy this movie(and the others in the series)

9. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what happened to the special edition that was supposed to be released that featured an uncut Romero's Dawn and the euro Zombi cut on the other disc? That's the one I was after

10. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any word on Anchor Bay's R1 Special Edition of Dawn of the Dead?

11. Glimmer

Glimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    February 2004 is the current stated release month on their website

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It won't be superior unless they're going to re-issue their cack version of "Night of the Living Dead", which doesn't seem likely.

Will the US version differ to the R2 boxset listed here anyway? :confused:

The superior version of Night of the Living Dead is the R1 Millennium edition from Elite not the Anchor Bay release.

See here for detailed comparisons:

http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/nightlivingdead.htm

So it will be another dodgy box set from Anchor Bay to go with their Evil Dead boxset that they are releasing soon (which contains the inferior version of Army of Darkness, although it does include the original 4:3 version of Book of the Dead as an extra). See here

13. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    There's no plans for the US Anchor Bay to release a boxset of all 3 films at the moment. Can't understand why the UK branch did given that they just licensed the same versions that were previously released (and in Dawn's case, cut) by other companies.

Their (US Anchor Bay) eventual release of Dawn of the Dead is going to be available in the 3 different versions (theatrical version, extended version and European version) with plenty of extras, cast/crew commentaries and with full on DD and DTS 6.1 remixes + remastered transfers.

14. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all together or seperate releases? I really don't want to buy all three... although part of me does!

15. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    they should be available as seperate releases for the Extended and theatrical cuts, but if you want the Euro (Argento) version you have to buy all 3 in a box iirc.
    Just the usual R1 Anchor Bay marketing skam - the Euro versions bound to be released at a reasonable price on its own not too long after people have shelled out for the LTD box with all 3 in:rolleyes:

16. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get the Dutch release of Dawn, which contains both cuts, or the German release that combines both cuts into a superduper version.

It's enough to give you a headache :(