Dawn Of The Dead 2 Disc SE vs UK R2

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Jenz, Apr 19, 2001.

1. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All,

I've taken a long look at the 2 Disc Special Edition of Dawn Of The Dead. This is a Danish Uncut version that features both Romero's 139minute Widescreen Cut and Argento's 117minute 4:3 Cut.

I've also compared it to the UK Version which although cut by 6seconds features a full length commentary by gore legend Tom Savini.

The review is here: http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com/article.php?sid=172

It features imagery that the BBFC do not approve of so we have used the Danish 16+ rating ;)

Regards Neil.

2. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Sweet! I'll check that out......

3. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Another real nice review mate that has left with a bit of a problem. As I already own the R2 disc, I am not sure whether or not I should wait for the Anchor Bay release, whenever that may be?

BTW, none of the images seem to be working?

4. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,007
    The only answer (and it's a question) to that is "How desperate are you to see it?"

If you want the best possible sound and picture quality then the only real answer is to wait. If impatience gets the better of you, like it did me and countless others, then go for the Dutch 2 disc as it's no worse pic-wise than the UK disc, and has the benefits of everything Jenz said in his review.

But, and it's a big but, Anchor Bay have moved into a new field of anamorphic technology (you'll have to bear with me here as the tech stuff isn't really my field) using either 2 perf or 4 perforation digital masters (I can't remember which) which apparently gives a far superior picture quality than they previously/presently were able to produce. The first batch are arriving May/June time and every disc after that will be encoded using this new system. Also, in September with their disc of Argento's Suspiria, AB will be going down the 6.1 channel DD EX/DTS ES road for the first time and we can expect to see more of their releases treated to a major sound upgrade, standard(if you can call it that!) DTS is starting to appear on their releases too, so to get to the point of this (at last!) if you wait for the AB SE release of Dawn Of The Dead you can expect the best possible picture and sound in the films definitive edition. It's a classic that they really aren't going to spare any expense on, the same goes for the SE of Day Of The Dead, expected around the same time.....whenever that might be.

It's all a question of "how deperate are you??"

5. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    That was a really helpful answer - nice one mate. I think I am gonna wait as I always intended too - it's just I REALLY can't wait for Dawn AND Day to be released by AB and that review was really tempting me to be honest.

We are looking at 2002 releases aren't we? It seems so far away at the moment.... I know what I'm like, I'll prob crack and have the Dutch 2-discs version in my hands next week ;)

Cheers.

6. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,007
    That'd make you just as bad as the rest of us then Mr tee ;)

To be honest, I wouldn't mind ending up with multiples of a few different films but it does seem to be happening with a lot more regularity.
    And that Dutch set isn't bad ya know.....

But the soonest for the AB release is 2002, and even then that's subject to the usual backpeddling of release dates, so I wouldn't be surprised to see an eventual street date some time in 2003. It's Anchor Bay, so who knows! :rolleyes:

[ 20-04-2001: Message edited by: Rambo John J ]

7. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    2003!! Sh*t, now Im REALLY tempted.... ;) Just out of interest, where is the best/cheapest place to buy it from?? JUST out of INTEREST you understand....

BTW, I've only just discovered your site Splatterhouse - really good mate and I'll definitely be checking it out from now on. Nice one.

Also, I read your thoughts on modern horror films in another thread and was interested in your comment about there being no good horror films since the eighties. The very last DVD I recieved (this morning) was The Omen - what are your thoughts on this classic (?) horror film?

Cheers.

8. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,007
    Excellent film. Mind you, it wouldn't be half of what it is without that Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack, but then we don't have to watch it without the soundtrack so it's just plain old ACE! As a kid it was one of the scariest things I'd seen and young Damien was about the creepiest little fella I'd ever laid eyes on, and probably still is.
    Is it the R1 disc you've got? I've been holding out to see what the R2 throws up, so I'd be interested to see what you think of the US disc. I've been wearing out my old widescreen vhs in the meantime.

As for Splatterhouse.....I'm just a lowly reviewer, the site itself is down to my punk buddy J so he deserves much, if not all, of the kudos.
    I won't tell you which reviewer I am though, as I'm a man of mystery known by a different name on each forum I visit (to keep my friends on their toes). And tonight I've got the dubious task of perusing The Man Behind The Sun and rating it accordingly. Man, that is one grim movie......

Where to buy DoD from? Hmmmm good question. Direct from Holland would be the answer, but on the whole it'd only be pennies saved anyway. You may aswell get it from Movietyme rather than try the Dutch sites, although if you want to give www.proxis.com a go they can get it to you for around £20 I think. I not sure what the current currency conversion's like against the £ though.

Hope this helps

[ 20-04-2001: Message edited by: Rambo John J ]

9. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Yeah, IF I get it I'll no doubt go for Movietyme - I always go down that route cause they are the best.

The Omen really scared me as a kid as well and I am really looking forward to checking it again after all this time. It's the R1 version I got and I'll be reviewing it myself for my little site over the weekend so check it out for yourself when you get a chance.

Thanks for the help.

10. karla

karla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Omen is one classic movie. Is Men Behind the sun out on DVD anywhere? That is a squalid film.
    Rambo, you seem to know what you are talking about horror/sleaze ways...

11. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,007
    I'll take that as a compliment Karla :D

As for MBTS, the answer is "yes" and you can get it here www.sexgoremutants.co.uk
    It's on the Dutch(I think) Japan Shock label, the same one as brought us the particularly nasty Jap horror Naked Blood, who also have a range going under the title Italian Shock aswell and they're the only ones to have a disc out of Fulci's crime/gore flick The Smuggler at the mo, aswell as Lenzi's fun underrated City Of The Walking Dead, but I think they released it under one of its other titles.
    Getting back to MBTS, you might like to check out an interesting interview with the director T F Mous here www.horschamp.qc.ca/9901/offscreen_columns/ManBehind1.html where he talks about some of the history behind it aswell as reveals some of the secrets behind the effects and very real bits. It's also interesting to note that with just a single cut (the cat/rats scene) the BBFC actually gave it an 18 cert back in 1991 but no one has since picked it up for distribution, which is a shame as I consider it to be the Chinese Schindlers List and deserves to be considered in the context of why they made it rather than the sensationalist/exploitational way its portrayed by its detractors. In fact I put it in my list of 5 films that show the extent of mans inhumanity to man that really should be seen by everyone at least once before they die, the other 4 being Pasolini's Salo, Deodato's masterpiece Cannibal Holocaust, Spielbergs Schindlers List, and Leonard Schraders (Pauls brother) The Killing Of America, which gets unfairly dumped into the mondo category all too often.

Do you ever visit Splatterhouse? If not you should, you'll find some interesting reviews and if you check out the message boards you'll pick up a lot of info about what's floating around out there that you probably didn't know the first thing about!

Anyway I'm off to watch Kurosawa's Throne Of Blood. No rest for the wicked :D

12. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,007
    Yo Mr Tee
    Just caught your site. Nice.
    You've got some very good links in there too, some of our haunts seem to be the same!

13. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks alot mate - just doing my bit ;)

What links have you been checking out recently then??

14. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,007
    Your music links are pretty comprehensive for the D+B fiend, a lot of those labels still send me promo's even though I haven't been out DJing for about a year now. Not that I'm complaining. I love free stuff.

Serious kudos to you for the link to www.badmovies.org that place cracks me up every time I go there. Any forum where they discuss films like "The Turkish Star wars" gets a big thumbs up from me.

Yup, keep it up matey. Anyone that takes their own time to set up and run a site deserves big respect :D
    I've got the easy part at Splatterhouse, I just watch films and bitch.