Dawn of the Dead (1978) 4K UHD

Most interesting thing about this announcement was that they revealed there was 18,000 copies of the limited edition produced.

That still seem to be available everywhere. Not that I’m knocking it, I LOVE it when companies put out a quality boxset but this film I’m only going to watch once every couple of years. Still essential to have in the collection just willing to pay that much.

Yet people have them on eBay for ridiculous prices!! Worth every penny, best boxset of 2020

You’d hope so. I’ll pay whatever it costs. I think £50 for the 3 movie discs plus extras is fair.

Could you rank in order which is your favourite make of the movie please? With relation to this release :)

Anyone else think "day of the dead" is rubbish like me?..... I just thought it was to cheesy

IMO Day is not only the best GAR zombie film, but probably the best zombie film ever.

The acting is on the button, the story (albeit not quite the epic George envisioned) is tight and Savini's effects are unsurpassed even today.

Day is first rate but I think Dawn edges it out just a little for me. The effects are superb in that one and I love the intro, that cannot be beat.

I don't think Day is any more cheesy than Dawn.

It depends on when you catch me as to which of those two films I think is better - my opinion toggles regularly!

I love Day of the Dead but Dawn will always just beat it & that's mostly because it's the first Zombie film I ever saw & has that extra special place in my heart as being the movie that kickstarted my love of the Genre

Neil

I prefer Zombie/2/Flesh Eaters over both Dawn 78 and Day:

IMG20210115004955.jpg

Day of the dead is when they go down via some lift to a underground bunker isn't it?.... To much good feedback on the movie, I'm wondering if I'm thinking of the right movie :)

Day of the dead is when they go down via some lift to a underground bunker isn't it?.... To much good feedback on the movie, I'm wondering if I'm thinking of the right movie :)
Yes, that’s the right one. It’s an old mine/military base and is the main setting for the movie. It’s well worth a watch.

I love the introduction of Day of the Dead, with the crocodile(s) roaming the city. That has always been an indelible image inked into my consciousness. Still not sure about Captain Rhodes’ hammy OTT performance though (dons flame proof gear).

0DABD450-4D25-4593-8A7C-49B6EB0804A2.jpeg

Got the above for a decent price from Allyourmusic via their ebay page.

Yeah the intro is still an amazing sequence. The music and the atmosphere is so thick in that sequence it’s unreal. As for Rhodes...I think he suits the film well. He’s not in every scene so it doesn’t wear thin and his wide eyed overreacting goes to show how unhinged he’s become.

Yeah the intro is still an amazing sequence. The music and the atmosphere is so thick in that sequence it’s unreal. As for Rhodes...I think he suits the film well. He’s not in every scene so it doesn’t wear thin and his wide eyed overreacting goes to show how unhinged he’s become.

I’ve only watched Day on VHS so will look forward to a revisit! Savini’s work on the film is amazing.

Let's not forget Night, equally as good as the other two.

I love the introduction of Day of the Dead, with the crocodile(s) roaming the city. That has always been an indelible image inked into my consciousness. Still not sure about Captain Rhodes’ hammy OTT performance though (dons flame proof gear).

View attachment 1441200

Got the above for a decent price from Allyourmusic via their ebay page.

If you're a fan of Day of the Dead, then you should definitely look into picking up the Australian ultimate edition version released in 2018 too (it has double sided artwork, which is why the cover looks different to the link to it on Blu-ray.com):

IMG20210115042256.jpg

Dawn is just such a classic - an enjoyable almost 'fun' film and the cast is perfect & a great Goblin score.

Day has gathered a deserved cult following over the years and has superb sfx & music score.

Fulci's Zombi is a different film entirely with a totally different vibe, but equally enjoyable in its own right - does look terrific in 4k too.

Dawn will always be my No.1 but Day is a close 2nd with Fulci's film in 3rd place.

Land of the Dead I wasn't keen on initially - but I have grown an appreciation of it over the years and it does get a repeat watch every so often.

Dawn is just such a classic - an enjoyable almost 'fun' film and the cast is perfect & a great Goblin score.

Day has gathered a deserved cult following over the years and has superb sfx & music score.

Fulci's Zombi is a different film entirely with a totally different vibe, but equally enjoyable in its own right - does look terrific in 4k too.

Dawn will always be my No.1 but Day is a close 2nd with Fulci's film in 3rd place.

Land of the Dead I wasn't keen on initially - but I have grown an appreciation of it over the years and it does get a repeat watch every so often.
Nearly same order as me. However I’d put Night before Zombi. Land was ok, but I’m not a great fan of the evolving “intelligent” Zombie

Nearly same order as me. However I’d put Night before Zombi. Land was ok, but I’m not a great fan of the evolving “intelligent” Zombie

I think I was possibly over generous to Land - it scores extra bonus points purely for 'Dead Reckoning' which is mega cool and the ultimate zombie zombie protection fortress :cool:

Night of course deserves a ranking & yeah I'd happily position that at No.3.
I quite liked Savini's remake too.

I think I've only seen Land once, and I'm sure I thought it was pants. If it's free on Prime or on Netflix, i'm gonna watch it tonight. In the mood for a Zombie film.

Yup. Right re Dawn being a "fun" film. I'll pick it up when it gets a vanilla release.

I think the best of all might be the Dawn remake though. :eek:

Sacrilege in this thread I'm sure but it's such a fun ride.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom