Dawn of the Dead (1978) 4K UHD

Update from end of May from Second Sight, thought I'd posted it but nope :blush:
Either way it's still happening so nothing to worry about ;)

DAWN OF THE DEAD update. Grading is completed and restoration is underway. We expect this stage to take a few months. We're also working on lots of additional content. We'd love to announce a date, but want to wait until we’re in a better position to know completion times for all the work. We hope you think it will be worth the wait.

Have the blu ray and will double dip to get this.

Got the criterion night of the living dead blu ray and day of the dead on blu ray too. Love the Romero Z films.

New update from Second Sight:

'DAWN OF THE DEAD UPDATE! Following the 4K scan of the camera negative, grading and framing approved by DP Michael Gornick, we now have about 4 weeks left of manual frame by frame restoration at Final Frame followed by the HDR grade for the UHD. We are releasing the 3 cuts on 3 separate discs (both Blu-Ray and UHD) plus bonus disc so the authoring stage will then take several weeks for the best possible encodes by David Mackenzie.

We are currently hoping for a release date in February 2020 and will update again in the next month. Aside from the 3 versions of the film itself, plus archive and new bonus material, we are also working on other exciting additional content for the box set. We have been very fortunate to have Michael Gornick involved and it was great to hear his comment on work to date: ‘I place upon this extraordinary effort a nihil obstat in certification of its quality’. More soon…'

Attachments

• dotd_pic.png
    dotd_pic.png
    603.5 KB · Views: 311
  • dotd_pic (2).png
    dotd_pic (2).png
    684.6 KB · Views: 144
I’m getting excited for this. It’s good that this company is giving regular updates.

New update from Second Sight:

'DAWN OF THE DEAD UPDATE! Following the 4K scan of the camera negative, grading and framing approved by DP Michael Gornick, we now have about 4 weeks left of manual frame by frame restoration at Final Frame followed by the HDR grade for the UHD. We are releasing the 3 cuts on 3 separate discs (both Blu-Ray and UHD) plus bonus disc so the authoring stage will then take several weeks for the best possible encodes by David Mackenzie.

We are currently hoping for a release date in February 2020 and will update again in the next month. Aside from the 3 versions of the film itself, plus archive and new bonus material, we are also working on other exciting additional content for the box set. We have been very fortunate to have Michael Gornick involved and it was great to hear his comment on work to date: ‘I place upon this extraordinary effort a nihil obstat in certification of its quality’. More soon…'

Great update cheers and loving those pictures of the work in progress .. this should look ace :thumbsup:

So, So, So excited for this!!

The extras & restoration sound amazing

Just wondering if I should sell my Arrow version now in preparation for this

Neil

Latest update from Second Sight:

"DAWN OF THE DEAD update! We had hoped to release early in the new year however restoration work has taken longer than originally anticipated and we are giving the restoration team as much time as they need to do the most thorough job possible. We're almost there! We don’t want to set a date for release however until all masters are completely ready for production and we are sure the release date can be met. As we are releasing on 4K UHD across 3 discs, as well as standard Blu-ray, the authoring stage will then take several weeks and we also want to give David Mackenzie as much time as needed for the crucial encoding stage. Thanks to everyone for their ongoing patience, we hope you’ll be pleased with the end result and feel it was worth the wait! Before Christmas we hope to give further details of the new bonus material, the archive material and the additional contents of the box set. With regard to MARTIN, this will follow closely behind the Dawn release."

Latest update from Second Sight:

"DAWN OF THE DEAD update! We had hoped to release early in the new year however restoration work has taken longer than originally anticipated and we are giving the restoration team as much time as they need to do the most thorough job possible. We're almost there! We don’t want to set a date for release however until all masters are completely ready for production and we are sure the release date can be met. As we are releasing on 4K UHD across 3 discs, as well as standard Blu-ray, the authoring stage will then take several weeks and we also want to give David Mackenzie as much time as needed for the crucial encoding stage. Thanks to everyone for their ongoing patience, we hope you’ll be pleased with the end result and feel it was worth the wait! Before Christmas we hope to give further details of the new bonus material, the archive material and the additional contents of the box set. With regard to MARTIN, this will follow closely behind the Dawn release."
That’s a shame but at least they’re taking their time with this. I’m sure it’ll be worth it. Hopefully it will come with a nice steelbook to complete my original trilogy collection.

I’m waiting, sort of patiently! But this looks like it’s getting the attention is deserves and yes Day to follow would be good

I heard years ago that someone - I believe it was Sam Raimi but could be wrong - was engaged in a fanboy quest to assemble every scrap of footage from about 6 different cuts of the film to make one totally complete cut; I assume that just fizzled out? do any of the cut have the original suicide ending that's in the script? I've seen, iirc, 4 cuts of this flick and none of them have.

As far as I'm aware that scene was never filmed. Just storyboarded.

As for the longest cut. There is a fanedit called "The Extended Mall Hours cut" which someone made of all the 3 different cuts in the "Ultimate Edition" Boxset.

It runs to 155 minutes. The "official" Cannes print runs to 139.

More isn't always better though, as there are scenes in this that should remain on the cutting room floor. A trampoline can be seen on one shot of a zombie being hit by a truck, and there are unfortunate background shots of a working truck park in view, when there's not supposed to be anyone left.

It's a great cut of the film, though as a curiosity only IMO. A huge amount of work and care went into it and fair play to the guy(s) that put it together.

Last edited:
yeah, i'd kinda like to see it just for completeism. I know pads/trampolines have crept into view in things like The Hidden and The Rock, you'd think a little digital clean-up could be done when they're digi remastering etc!

After binge watching 8 seasons of The Walking Dead the past 6 weeks I'm 'zombied out' so can't see me ever sitting through any version of Dawn of the Dead!

After binge watching 8 seasons of The Walking Dead the past 6 weeks I'm 'zombied out' so can't see me ever sitting through any version of Dawn of the Dead!

That is like saying you can't eat your White Truffles becuase you've eaten a giant bag of Pick & Mix :D

I would love a steelbook of this. It’s the only one if the original trilogy I don’t have on steelbook.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom