Dawn of the Dead (1978) 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

My dad brought me to see this at the cinema when I was nine years old. I guess the whole age rating thing didn't make much difference in a small town back in those days!! I absolutely loved it, and still do. I still remember my dad saying, when we left the cinema, that he 'thought zombies choked people' :) Great review and really excited to revisit this again in 4k.....

I have a very vivid memory of a trip to see my Mum's family in Middlesbrough when I was about 7. I had to sleep on a camp bed in the dining room which had a glass door into the living room. Whilst I was trying sleep, everyone else was watching Dawn of the Dead in the living room. Although I couldn't hear what was going on, I could still see everything through the door. I was absolutely petrified and had trouble sleeping for several days after, even after I was back at home.

It was maybe 15 years before I saw it again but the it had lost none of its impact on me. Absolute classic.

Saw it in the 1978 London Film Festival, i know we so disappointed it was cut, we'd seen all the Fangoria stills :)
I was in the area a few years and had to goto the mall, felt like a kid wandering around
P1010147.JPG

I was around 12, somehow had it on VHS. I must of watched it 78 times as a guess, that was just back then!

Which is arguably the best version/cut of this 4k release?

I think the extended cut is the better of the 3 from what I can remember. I think it fleshes out some of the pre-mall stuff but I might be wrong. I've only seen it once and it was a while ago.

Confession time, I watched the 4K disc Thursday night and almost fell asleep! First time viewing here.... just could not work out what all the praise and fuss is about! I love classics! Physio is one of my fav 4K discs but this bored me. Ps I do enjoy the zombie flicks!

^^^^You'll be selling it off half price then :p;)

Must admit, I love the remake. Probably more so than this. Long long time since I've seen this though, so I'm tempted to order, now we have a set that not got the fanatics only price attached to it.

^^^^You'll be selling it off half price then :p;)

Must admit, I love the remake. Probably more so than this. Long long time since I've seen this though, so I'm tempted to order, now we have a set that not got the fanatics only price attached to it.
Rental my friend! Thank god! A remake, interesting, might watch that, is it in 4K?

edit: just had a look, there are two remakes, 2004 and 2012, which one to watch?

The Zack Snyder 2004 version. The first five minutes is, in my opinion, the best opening to any movie apart from Saving Private Ryan.

One of my all time favourite films! I prefer the extended version but all three have their merits. Will be interesting to see how it looks in 4K. The mall has hardly changed looking at that photo, I wonder if that is deliberate given the popularity of the film?

The Zack Snyder 2004 version. The first five minutes is, in my opinion, the best opening to any movie apart from Saving Private Ryan.

Yeah, one of the few remakes that can hold its own against the original. As you say the opening to the 2004 version is incredible.

Yeah, one of the few remakes that can hold its own against the original. As you say the opening to the 2004 version is incredible.
Don’t think there’s a 4K disc for this movie yet

Just got myself a custom steelbook for this today. Looks amazing and the Dead trilogy is now complete.
ACF2FEEF-5058-4618-81B4-5EA33A1DF5DE.jpeg
B7953805-6957-4860-8BC6-9968CECC2C75.jpeg
0CAD2FC8-D6CC-4F2B-A338-5C1D225EA259.jpeg
32FE0DA6-CF08-4545-BDF0-79A78DDDD288.jpeg
4B1CFB2E-5525-4A8D-8DD8-54EACEF47308.jpeg

Attachments

• 4E3D995C-135E-4A3D-BD34-7AECDD52F1F0.jpeg
    4E3D995C-135E-4A3D-BD34-7AECDD52F1F0.jpeg
    519.1 KB · Views: 167
The mall has hardly changed looking at that photo, I wonder if that is deliberate given the popularity of the film?
P1010131.JPG
There is no mention of the film anywhere in the mall and they had a strict no photos, so I had to be careful. The mall was pretty deserted, weekday about a 45 min bus ride from Pittsburgh, very dated. They had a sort of movie video games memorabilia shop, tshirts etc, no mention of Dawn of the Dead

Attachments

• P1010134.JPG
    P1010134.JPG
    234.3 KB · Views: 183
  • P1010136.JPG
    P1010136.JPG
    346.8 KB · Views: 190
  • P1010137.JPG
    P1010137.JPG
    294.5 KB · Views: 192
View attachment 1483609 There is no mention of the film anywhere in the mall and they had a strict no photos, so I had to be careful. The mall was pretty deserted, weekday about a 45 min bus ride from Pittsburgh, very dated. They had a sort of movie video games memorabilia shop, tshirts etc, no mention of Dawn of the Dead
Why aren’t you allowed to take photos? Very weird.

They wanted nothing to do with the movie, which seemed odd, any trade better than none, wanted to do zombie walk but didnt risk it, i just kept humming the tune in my head

They wanted nothing to do with the movie, which seemed odd, any trade better than none, wanted to do zombie walk but didnt risk it, i just kept humming the tune in my head
That’s odd. I’m sure they do Zombie Walks there around Halloween. Maybe that’s as much indulging they want each year.

I think even fans of the original generally agree Snyder's remake has the best opening of any horror/action film ever. The rest of the remake doesn't sustain the same intensity of terror but for a remake it's awfully good.

I saw the original in '78 in a mall in Detroit. Walking out afterwards and into the crowds of shoppers definitely made me a bit nervous.

Now I have my custom steelbook for the 4K discs I’m tempted to buy the Blu Ray versions and add those as well but I only have enough room for the Theatrical and Extended cuts. Would anyone be interested in buying the Argento Cut and Special Festures disc? You could keep the premium box as well.

View attachment 1483609 There is no mention of the film anywhere in the mall and they had a strict no photos, so I had to be careful. The mall was pretty deserted, weekday about a 45 min bus ride from Pittsburgh, very dated. They had a sort of movie video games memorabilia shop, tshirts etc, no mention of Dawn of the Dead

Looking at those cars reminds me of the scene where flyboy is in boot of the car shooting zombies as they drive round the mall. Did you find the doorway leading to the stairs where the survivors ended up living?

I think even fans of the original generally agree Snyder's remake has the best opening of any horror/action film ever. The rest of the remake doesn't sustain the same intensity of terror but for a remake it's awfully good.

I saw the original in '78 in a mall in Detroit. Walking out afterwards and into the crowds of shoppers definitely made me a bit nervous.

Is the remake where the zombies are fast runners? None of this lumbering about like in the original!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom