Dawn of the Dead (1978) 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

oaklandraiders

I should've watched the movie before I went. It was 2011 when I went, doesn't seem like nearly 10 years ago. Wandered round for hours, prob bought some Levis in JC Penney.

sick of it all

Love that scene where he slides down the middle of escalators and jumps off at the end! Did you use the elevator where flyboy got munched? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just intruiged that you've been to the main centrepiece for the whole film.

oaklandraiders

Can’t remember seeing the elevator, I was all about the escalators 😁.
It was a tired looking mall, I think a newer one was nearby. But it certainly gave me a buzz wandering around.

fathergll

I bet it’s not really enforceable these days with the amount of people vlogging etc

Depends on what you are using and if the local staff cares enough. If you walk in with a pro level DSLR you will get stopped, if you are using a smartphone you will be fine unless you are being obnoxious. You'll get mixed experiences with compact cameras.

It's like speeding. Most people do it without issue but the more you push your luck you may end up with a ticket.

Mensy

Distinguished Member
Whats the best version to watch ?

ssbib

Distinguished Member
Whats the best version to watch ?
I’ve always watched the extended cut as it was the only one I’d ever had access to. However I watched the theatrical today and really enjoyed it. It’s a tighter films and the changes in the music make it a bit more somber, which really suits it. I’d recommend the theatrical.

terencejames

I
^^^^You'll be selling it off half price then :p;)

Must admit, I love the remake. Probably more so than this. Long long time since I've seen this though, so I'm tempted to order, now we have a set that not got the fanatics only price attached to it.
I'd argue that Synder's remake is an easier film to watch but not necessarily better. It's certainly faster paced but plays more like an action film to be honest.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
The Zack Snyder 2004 version. The first five minutes is, in my opinion, the best opening to any movie apart from Saving Private Ryan.
The opening credits to watchmen are up there aswell

dts

Distinguished Member
I absolutely love this film,I brought the £79.99 4k boxset a few months ago and all the extras are stunning...its an upgrade from the Arrow video Blu-ray from 2010 but I've kept that as that is a cracking set too! The film is still relevant even today! That just goes to show just much the human race hasn't really changed that much..The 2004 remake I went to watch at the cinema 🎥 and the first 10 mins blew me away then I got really bored and left disappointed.Ive watched it a few times since and actually love it now(The HD-Dvd cost me a small fortune) now I have it on Blu-ray and its always part of my Halloween watch.The 4k Disc a
Is stunning and worth every penny.

Winchesterclub

Is the Mall the Monroeville Mall, ? looking at the clip there is a bust of George A and some still shots as a little homage to the Man /Film in the Mall

Cheers

Winchesterclub

Finally caught on to it then... go to 10 mins into the clip for that
The Grimmcollective also have a good video for shooting locations for the Day of the Dead

Cheers

Russ 66

An absolute classic and probably my favourite zombie film and I have watched a lot of them. Yes it is a little long and can be a little slow but it’s a breath of fresh air compared to modern films with their cram as much in as possible and multiple cut style.
I still laugh at the zombie with the obvious large head (tefal man style) stumbling towards the spinning helicopter blade.
Snyder’s remake is very good, on the back of the fast zombie phase at the time. A very effective film and as others have said what an opening.

sick of it all

An absolute classic and probably my favourite zombie film and I have watched a lot of them. Yes it is a little long and can be a little slow but it’s a breath of fresh air compared to modern films with their cram as much in as possible and multiple cut style.
I still laugh at the zombie with the obvious large head (tefal man style) stumbling towards the spinning helicopter blade.
Snyder’s remake is very good, on the back of the fast zombie phase at the time. A very effective film and as others have said what an opening.

The remake is good but it's a totally different film and lacks the nuances which made the original so successful.
The guy with the 'extended' head I refer to as Lurch as in the Adams Family! There were so many notable zombies in this film and the actors must have had so much fun playing their roles!

TarPot

This is one of my all timers. I've had the 4K since November time.

I've seen it on many formats over the years.

What surprised me with this version, was how colourful the film is. Loved the presentation on this disc.

Mallardo

Confession time, I watched the 4K disc Thursday night and almost fell asleep! First time viewing here.... just could not work out what all the praise and fuss is about! I love classics! Physio is one of my fav 4K discs but this bored me. Ps I do enjoy the zombie flicks!
Sorry, I know it's obviously a typo or autocorrect but Physio made me chuckle. 🤣

Countjedi

Watched this movie I think 81 or 82 on my mates VHS. Loved it but did not sleep that night... A great review and one that I will be buying. Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JBL launches compact 4309 Studio Monitor speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL launches TS8132 Dolby Atmos soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku announces Express 4K streamer and new OS 10
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL reveals C82 Mini-LED and C72+ QLED TVs for Europe in 2021