1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAVSC8 problem - please help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by matlaw, Jun 30, 2004.

1. matlaw

matlaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone else had this problem and is there any known solution?????

I have a DAV-SC8 and liked it. However, recently it started locking up. By that I mean the DVD screen freezes during play, or simply wont play, then wont eject and wont go into standby. The only solution is to power down and back up. I can power down and up maybe ten times before getting it to work again - sometimes I just give up. Then, it will work fine for days on end. Then, back to freezing and non-operation. I took it back to the store (Comet) who sent it off for mending. It was returned with the message "couldn't reproduce problem but cleaned it". It worked for a week and is now doing the same. I've taken it back to Comet but fear they won't reporduce the problem again. I'm so fed up............please help.

2. Sicilian

Sicilian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry to hear your problem, mine has worked great for about a month now.

3. matlaw

matlaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mme. I had mine for a couple of months before it went wrong, so there's still time :)

4. Saline

Saline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my DAV SC8 for over a month now , and I am now suffering from the same problems. I am dealing with it in the same way ... ( power down ... ) I fear taking it to maintenance and having them say nothing could be found wrong and me ending up with another problem from what ever they had to do to attempt to detect or fix the problem .... please let me know if somebody finally solves the problem .

5. Sicilian

Sicilian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What discs are freezing? CD's, orig DVD's, home burnt DVD's?

6. Saline

Saline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    original region 01 DVDs

thanks for the reply

Saline

7. Sicilian

Sicilian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Was your player originally Reg 1 or was it modded?

8. Saline

Saline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my third sony multi region DVD player I have acquired , I have never had any problems with the other two .and just to mention I have read similar complaints from DAVFC9 owners which is the 5 disc twin of the DAVSC8 and this from region 01 owners not multi region.
    thank you again for your reply.

9. orto

orto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to buy this system from my local Sony Center here in Iceland. They had the system in stock but couldn´t sell it to me quite yet. The reason is because of this problem you guys are having with the freeze up. Apparently a chip in the player needs to be replaced, my local Sony Center is replacing the chips on all the systems they have in stock. Apparently this is the case with all the davsc systems. On another note would you recommend that I buy this system if this freeze up problem is fixed?

10. Sicilian

Sicilian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think the sound & picture quality of this system is fantastic. Maybe the uk models are a different batch.

11. Saline

Saline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much orto for sharing your experience, It some how feels good knowing that there is a solution.
    Now, I'm no expert on Home theater systems but other than the problem I'm having I really really love this system.

12. matlaw

matlaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the delay in responding. Mine is a clean, un-moded, non-fiddled-with UK (region 2?) machine and the problem is with DVD playback. Sadly, it is a direct replacement for a DAV-S800, which suddenly stopped working and was "beyond repair" (wat's that mean?). I've really liked both machines, but there is definitely something dodgy going on here, especially if Sony are getting chips changed in at least some machines before sale.

13. matlaw

matlaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for that info. At least I can get my seller to refer to Sony rather than (or as well as) attempting to reproduce the problem.

14. matlaw

matlaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ORTO,
    I like the system and would recommend it as long as the problem is fixed. However, I spoke to Sony UK today and they deny knowledge of the problem. Do you have any more specific information from the shop you mention? Maybe you could let me know the shop's details so I could speak to them in person? Any help gratefully received.

15. orto

orto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matlaw this is the contact information for the Sony Center in Iceland:

Address:
    Sony Center Reykjavik
    Kringlunni
    103 Reykjavik
    Iceland

Tel: +354 5887669
    E-mail: info@sonycenter.is

Hope this helps, I don´t remember the name of the employee that I spoke to there but I´m quite sure that they can give you some information about this problem. Just mention that you know of this problem and ask if they can confirm it or shed any light on it.

16. matlaw

matlaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ORTO

Many thanks for that information. In fact, I went to Sony UK to ask if there were aware of the problem and they said "NO!". I then returned the player to the service centre and told them what you'd said. They phoned me back a few days later and said they had found out that the problem is one known by Sony and the fix is to get the video processing chip replaced (a bad batch is known of). They've done that now and all should be well - I'll know when I get it back and try it for a few weeks. Apparently, neither Sony (nor most other manufacturers) will publicly admit they have problems but approved service centres do get access to more 'accurate' information.

Had you not responded to my plea, the likelihood is that this problem would not have been fixed. Thanks so much for that!!!

Very best wishes

17. SridharNulu

SridharNulu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    Sorry for the long message but I really need your help a lot.
    I have seen that you had some problem with the dvd disc freezing up. I have similar problem with my DAVFC9 system. Here is my problem description:

When I play the dvd player for an extended period of time (say 3-4 hours or 2 dvd discs continuously) and then when I play another dvd disc, the display on the dvd system freezes. The numbers on the display that indicate play time do not progress. However the dvd movie runs normally in the television during this time. The dvd remote control freezes too. None of the buttons except the power button work. The buttons on the dvd player (play, pause, stop, eject or next track etc) do not work either. The power button works though. When I press the power off button under such circumstances, ‘STAND BY’ flashes on the dvd player display for about 20-30 seconds and the dvd movie still plays on the television during this time. Finally the ‘STAND BY’ message goes off and the movie play stops.

I guess u had similar problem and from your forum chain it seems you got the video chip or something replaced form the sony service center. I am just curious if the problem is fixed now. If so would you please let me know the details of the chip or any service details that you might know. My system is currently with the sony service center. I just want to make sure my system is properly serviced and want to make sure sony doesn't simpy return them with no fix.
    Sorry for the long mail but I need your help a lot.
    Please provide me the chip and repair details and if the problem is fixed.
    You may reply to my personal email too. her is my mail id: crazyguy70mm@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance
    I look forward to hearing from you.
    Sridhar