1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAVSC5 Sony Opinions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by jeff_ waters, Feb 21, 2004.

1. jeff_ waters

jeff_ waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. New here. I am looking to get into SACD format.
    The wife likes her films ! I wondered if the SONY DAVSC5 home cinema was a good compromise for DVD and for listening to music?
    I have not listened to one of these but they get good reviews .
    Just how good are they on CDs/music ? Does it sound like a cheap hifi set up ?
    Any body out there care to give me any personal reviews on this product or better machines at the same money? ( Must include SACD remember)
    Thank you
    Jeff:)

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
  3. tuberider

tuberider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the DAV SC5 and it has great sound and it sure is no compromise wrt to audio! Remember this is a unit for consumer market and below entry level for Pro-sumer stuff like B&O and the like. However, CD audio playback quality is great and DVD playback, well stunning especially via component to my spanking new 30" LCD panel. Tried S-Video earlier and good but not as good as component. There is also the new option of optical output so if you have a mini-disc type device, its a bonus. Supported formats are SACD, MP3, CD-R,CD-RW, VCD, DVD... all the popular formats so no problems there. Also has JPEG play back which is a nice touch for those who have lots of [pics on burnt CD's.

4. bockster

bockster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've got the sc5, i'm no audiophile, but for me sound is great on cd, sacd and dvd,s with plenty of sound options. volume is good, and thats in a big room! bass is also plentiful. i also find it has very low hiss or distortion at max volume, is this the digital amp? overall well impressed.however i am expecting an engineer shortly for a dvd picture problem, ( i read in these pages that sony suffer from dodgy dvd drives??) what about getting one for audition from argos ( 16 day money back guarentee!!)

5. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Look @ what video/widescreen . you can download a review of it. I started of looking @ the sc5 then 6 and 8 .I chose the dv99 I thought musically it sounded best also you can change almost every audio or video parameter. Got it @JL for £378

6. devastator

devastator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Ive got the DAV-SC5, room is not massive 14x16 but this unit easily fills this out, bass is good with 3 levels to choose from. Picture quality on my unit is very good... Had it for almost 2 months.... no complaints.. very happy with it.

7. devastator

devastator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Ive got the DAV-SC5, room is not massive 14x16 but this unit easily fills this out, bass is good with 3 levels to choose from. Picture quality on my unit is very good... Had it for almost 2 months.... no complaints.. very happy with it.

8. FarmDriver

FarmDriver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have had the Sony DAV SC-5 for three months now and have been very impressed with it. It is being used as a second system in our sitting room but the sound compres well with the Sony 930 and Mission speaker system we have in our cinema room. Only problem is the bass which despite having three settings for is not as controllable as I would like. We choose the SC-5 when we realised how deep all the other systems where and that most would not fit in our t.v cabinet. Best place I could find to buy was indigo-av.co.uk who have it listed at £331.89. I ordered over the phone as I could then check on their stock and, as they had one, it was delivered two days later.

9. bockster

bockster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is everyone aware that subwoofer level can be altered between -6db and +6db in the speaker level section of the amp menu, not just on the bass button. slightly tedious for constant alterations but there all the same.

10. FarmDriver

FarmDriver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We do know that the subwoofer can be adjusted in the speaker level settings but even with it set to minimum and the button set to off it is still quite basey.This is because you can not turn the subwoofer off even when set to off!