1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAVS880 Connections

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bam, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering purchasing this system (mainly due to its stunning looks)

Can somebody explain/answer the following:

1. Is it possible to connect the component video out to an RGB scart on my TV?

2. If so are there any benefits in doing so in terms of picture quality over that provided by a super video to scart connection?

3. Can you tell me the best way of connecting the DAVS880, Sky+ and the TV, I have 4 scart conns on the TV and obviously want DD sound from Sky+.

4. List the cables required.

Thanks

Bam

2. Silent Fly

Silent Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ban,

No, unless you use a converter.

3. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    If you don't have the capability to connect via component, then your next best bet with the 880 is to connect via s-video. You could make do with the bog standard s-video - s-video lead that Sony supply, but since most TV's have this input on the front of the set, you would be better off purchasing an S-Video-Scart lead so that things are kept nice and tidy :) Just as a side note... If you do this you would need to check which scart input's on your set are S-video compatible :)

As for getting DD sound from Sky+, you would need to connect the optical out on the digibox, to the optical in on the DAV (Although I have to admit that i'm not totally certain that the unit supports optical in? - maybe somebody else could confirm for definite?) You'd then just set the DAV to auto decode, and select the relevant input when you want to watch :) If the soundstream sent to the unit isn't in DD, then auto decode would ensure that PLII would be activated, so you'd get the best soundtrack in all situations :)

Hope this is of some help...

K.

4. spacemuppett

spacemuppett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a DAV 800 and that supports optical in on the Video 2 function. So in theory the 880 should.

Would love to have Sky+ to prove it though, maybe when they drop the £10 per month.

5. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thankyou :)

6. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, thanks very much all three of you:smashin:

7. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone recommend any cables for this system?

I am looking at the cable wizard on the Ixos website and it comes up with the 135AV for svideo to scart

But..there is also the option of having a svideo + 2 RCA to scart (either the 137AV or 143AV)

the latter option has the two audio cables built-in but not sure if I need the audio from my TV (KV36FS76 with virtual Dolby)

Maybe someone can clarify this..:confused:

Also your recommendations for optical audio connections between Sky and DAVS880 would be appreciated.

I want to buy decent cables ready for when the system is delivered.

Cheers

Bam

8. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    there is also the option of having a svideo + 2 RCA to scart

This cable is designed to carry information from your DVD player, to your TV, and as such will carry DVD sound, as well as picture to your TV. Personally, I think you are unlikely to ever use this, as when watching films, you will just listen to the sound via the DAV. Does that make sense?

I would just go for the plain vanilla, S-video-Scart lead :)

Coupled with the digital connection from your Sky+ Box, this will give you the opportunity to watch all DVD's, and broadcast material in either full DD, or PLII. You may never need your TV speakers again! ;)

K.

9. spacemuppett

spacemuppett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kelvinp is dead right no need for the extra RCA leads when you have the optical connections to the Sky+ box.

Have fun.

10. dean randle

dean randle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,
    Over in Australia thisis labelled as the 880p, as it offers progressive scan. I believe this is only NTSC. I am not sure if the UK version offers this, maybe some owners can confirm? I saw this kit being demo'd and it sounded fantastic.

Cheers,

Dean.

11. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi Dean,

I believe the European version of the DAVS-880 (and the 550 too) can also output NTSC progressive scan, although Sony don't appear to advertise the feature. Now if only Sony would release some progressive scan TVs in Europe...

Steve

12. Ashy

Ashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the QED shvs to scart is great for linking a DAV system to a TV. Empire Direct are selling them for about £35 too which is nice :)

13. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK Thanks for info...I'm happy with all cables now except for the optical audio only from Sky+ to DAVS880.

Last question now...are all these cables the same ie. with toslink to toslink connections such as Ixos 106 Optix?

Cheers

14. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorted now.

For clear details of all dvd player connections see the Techtronics site:lesson: