1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAVS550 v Tosh SD43HK v Pioneer DCS-313?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by the_sanguine, Oct 1, 2003.

1. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm looking for an all in one system for my son's bedroom. Which of these should I go for and why?

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I'm not a fan of the Sony as its digital amplifer is a bit weak to say the least at only about 35 watts per channel in real terms. The subwoofer is a bit poor as well but it has better musical ability than the others its just not a very good movie experience system. The newer Pioneer isn't meant to be too brilliant and the Toshiba doesn't come with particularly good speakers.

My recommendation would be for the older Pioneer DCS303 if you can live with only s-video output or stretch to something like the JVC THA-75 which is a 6.1 speaker setup at about £350 non multiregion or about £390 for multiregion. There are other systems by Panasonic worth considering.

Its really down to features though. What will he need? Will he want to play dvds from other regions or vcds/svcds etc?

3. andymc

andymc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I got a Tosh for my house in Spain and its packed up already after 3 months. Toshiba are not very forthcoming in offering me any help for warranty check outs over there so would suggest anything but Tosh due to their lack of support - Shame cause it was a good system whilst it worked!!!

4. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Are you saying that the old pioneer is better than new? I think he just wants multiregion DVD and to play CDs. (He's only 8). I guess looking at jpegs on a CDROM would be nice but not essential.

5. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Here I go again, bonzobanana... :D

The 303! Get the 303! :clap:

Er, just 'cause I've got one. Great for the money and does everything that I need (DD/DTS 5.1, DPLII, mp3 and multi-region playback). Unfortunately, I was unable to audition any system; but I've had no regrets with this problem-free box.

Yay for the Pioneer! :smashin:

6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    It certainly seems that way looking at reviews. The older DCS303 gives out in real terms about 60 watts per channel (source What hifi) where as the newer model gives out a higher 75 watts per channel I think in real terms so they have upped the output slightly however the new system only takes 16O watts power where as the older model was about 195 watts. So the newer system is much more efficient power wise which normally when it comes to amplifiers is not a good sign it means the sound is more sliced and diced in the amplification process. Class A amps are the best sounding and they are the least efficient of all. So what with What hifi saying the picture looks like its been smeared with vasaline and a general poor review for the DCS313 sound I think I can safely say the DCS303 is better as that has generally had good reviews all round. The speakers on the newer model are completely different and no doubt of cheaper design too.

What television does your son have and does it give a better picture with rgb scart sources or s-video?

7. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    He only has a 21" Sony TV. I haven't tried the inputs so I couldn't say which is the best pic

8. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
  9. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Cheer, I'll take a look

10. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Sony Davs 550, after much worry from what i had heard. I think its great. Its not really powerfull enough as in, power output (rms) and my room is 3m squared! However, playing music with the sub turned up full and high volume, it sounds great!

Picture quality, i am using composite (the worst) and and its great, but then i have a 14" TV!

Anyway, generally, i love the Davs 550, and the final decision was looks really!