1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAVS550 - SVIDEO advice required !!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by phanco, Aug 16, 2004.

1. phanco

phanco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have a DAVS550 (Multi Regioned) and have been using it for about 10 months using a relatively cheap SVHS cable, plus an SVHS-to-SCART adapter (one of the wee boxes with SVHS and phono's on it). I was quite happy with it until a friend commented on a vertical band of 'reduced contrast' on the screen when playing DVDs (ie a band of about 3 inches of screen area darker than the rest).

I immediately went out an purchased a vivanco gold SVHS-to-SCART cable, with all the gold and copper trimmings. This improved the picture quality immensely.

However, this weekend I attempted to play a Region 1 disk - and the picture was corrupted - it was as if the TV (Sony Wega KV32FX60) cold not lock onto the NTSC signal - colour for half a second, then black and white then colour etc.

I re-installed the original 'cheap, poor quality' SVHS and scart convertor cobination and viola, beautiful NTSC colour pictures.

Can anyone help me understand why my supposedly high quality cable does not perform correctly for NTSC signals when my cheapo (From ebay) SVHS cable and converter work ?

2. phanco

phanco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Can no one abswer my plea for help ...

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I will transfer this thread to the cables and connectors forum where you are more likely to get an answer.

My guess (and it is just a guess) is that your new expensive cable is directional and will only pass a signal from the scart end to the s-video end whereas you require a signal to be passed the other way round

4. phanco

phanco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Any help much appreciated

5. phanco

phanco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Ian J,

not sure I follow the logic - cable works fine on R2 PAL disks so the signal is definately going from the DVD player (SVHS) to TV (SCART).

Just gets knackered on NTSC Region 1 pictures.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If the combination works fine on R2 but not R1 it would normally signify a problem with the chipping or the TV but if the problem only exists with an expensive cable and not a cheap one - you've got me stumped unless the cable itself is faulty

7. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hmm. I've got a multi-region DAVS550.

Just a thought - but perhaps your cheapo job is converting to composite scart, whereas your more expensive cable is converting to RBG scart. If you've multiple components hooked up to your TV then try connecting the DAVS to scart 1 (or whichever is definitely RBG enabled) and see what happens.

Actully - upon re-reading your thread I can't see how that is the problem (given that it works on R1 disks). I believe the DAVS can only output progressive NTSC format and interlaces PAL (so it says in the manual) - perhaps it's related to that?

See http://www.sonydigital-link.com/manuals/manuals.asp?l=en&m=DAV-S550 for the manual.

ZedZed

8. phanco

phanco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Just tried the old swap routine on the SCART Sockets (after digging through TV manual again.

Basically, DVD player shows black and white even when no disk inserted when attached to RGB enabled SCART using new cable (and when R1 or R2 Disks are played).

SKY+ connected to same scart and set to output RGB is fine. (Then again, set to RGB and connected to non-RGB scart is also ok - I presume SKY+ outputs both signals if RGB selected - perhaps my RGB SCART is defaulting to composite for SKY+ ?).

On non RGB scart socket DVD player is fine in R2, but flickering between colour and BW on R1.

So I don't know if my TV is faulty (3+ year old SONY KV32FX60) or my DAVS (which is about 12 months old and was recently repaired to fix a stuttering disk problem).

Any ideas ? Can I get a good quality cable that will only transmit composite (and avoid the ghosting problems that forced my original upgrade ?)

9. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I too purchased a vivanco svhs to scart cable when i got my DAVS550 - but it gives me a permenant black and white picture. I think that this means my scart socket cannot accept an svhs signal via scart (meaning that cable isn't doing any video conversion as such - it's simply allowing an svhs signal to be passed via a scart socket).

Sounds like scart 1 (RGB) is not svhs enabled.
    But scart 2 (non-RGB) is svhs enabled!

Given that it's OK for R2 disks on scart 2 then I can only assume your 2nd scart /will/ accept svhs via scart - but just not for NTSC signals (the video format is different???? Not a clue on that one!)

Possibly worth a question on the "CRT" forum on your TVs capabilities.

Zed

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Where's Joe Fernand when you need him :D

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,525
    phanco

I think too many options are being tried at once and are masking the potential problem!

Can you confirm your initial set-up was an S-Video cable (4 pin mini din to 4 pin mini din) plus a SCART adapter block and your latest purchase is an S-Video to SCART cable (these are directional so you need to ensure you've not purchased a SCART to S-Video cable).

Does your TV have an S-Video (4 pin mini din) Input socket - many TV's have an 'extra' input for a camcorder on the front of the TV?

If yes try connecting the S-Video Out from your DAV-S550 (or SKY+) directly to the S-Video Input - are you getting Colour with R1 and R2 discs?

If your stuck with going in via a SCART socket - you need to ensure the SCART socket is compatible with and switched to receive an S-Video signal; messing about with RGB settings is a Red Herring in this case; your TV's SCART socket will have a menu to set it to Composite, S-Video or RGB (assuming it is S-Video compatible).

I take it you have confirmed your DVD player is outputting S-Video - it could be on Composite!

What happens with your original S-Video cable plus SCART Adapter if you use that set up with SKY+?

Best regards

Joe

12. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    ZedZed admits he is out of his depth ..... :blush:

13. phanco

phanco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15

Thanks again. Will report once I have tried as suggested.

I can confirm, however, that :-

1. Initial Setup was SVideo cable from DVD -> Phone/SVHS to SCART Adapter (with input/output switch) -> non RGB compatible SCART socket on TV.

2. Latest purchase was SVHS to SCART cable - will need to check the packaging as I didn't realise that these were directional. However, would the fact that I get any picture at all using this cable not indicate the direction is OK ?

3. TV Does indeed have a SVHS socket on the front (swappable with rear SCART 3 [non-RGB]). I will connect DVD to this tonight as an experiment (using original SVHS-SVHS cable). Not practical as a long term solution, though.

4. TV (Sony WEGA KV32FX60) does not have any options to dictate input type (comp/Svideo/RGB) on any SCART sockets - only menu options relate to picture sizing and preset naming (plus front/rear input for SCART 3).

5. The DVD player does not have an option to specifiy the output type - the only physical connections supported are composite, SVideo and component output - and I assume as I am using the SVIDEO out that this is an SVideo signal !!

6. SKY+ - presumably I would just set the SCART Adapter to 'output', and then connect the SVideo lead to the front input. I will try this tonight also.

Thanks for taking the time to help !!

14. phanco

phanco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Played about tonight.

SKY+ box connected to front SVHS socket (via old cheap cable and SCART adapter set to 'output') = fine picture quality (SKY+ menu still set at RGB output)

DVD box connected to front SVHS, using same cheap SVIDEO Cable - both R2 and R1 disks playing fine.

DVD box connected to SCART3 (shared with front SVHS and switched from front/rear via tv menu) using new cable = r2 ok but R1 still having issues.

new cable packaging clearly states 'for connecttion from DVD/AMP to TV'.

Guess it could just be a duff cable - weird symptoms though - why would it be affected by 60Hz NTSC but no 50Hz Pal ?

15. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,525
    phanco

01. SKY+ - there is NO S-Video out via the SCART socket on this unit. Your viewing Composite video. Somehow!!!

You have to use the S-Video out connector on the SKY+ box - try that straight to the S-Video Input on the front of your TV using your 'old' S-Video cable.

02. SCART3 - is there anything in the manual about SCART3 not being NTSC compatible.

Try the DVD + S-Video cable + SCART adapter block into SCART3 - what happens this time?

Best regards

Joe

16. phanco

phanco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    01. Will try this tonight...

02. Nothing in the manual about SCART 3 not being NTSC. Nothing in the manual about NTSC at all (other than saying that the TV is NTSC compatible)

03. This was my standard setup before the new cable arrived - I will confirm tonight but pretty certain this worked fine for R1 & R2 (with the original picture quality issue that forced the upgrade in the first place !)

17. phanco

phanco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    01. SKY+ SVHS to front SVHS = good picture (using original cheap cable)

01b. SKY+ SVHS to SCART3 using new cable = good picture

DVD+SVIDEO+SCART adapter to SCART3 = fine on both R1 and R2 (with original ghosting issue)

DVD to SCART3 with new cable = original problem (excellent picture R2, picture varying between colour/BW and 'wobbling' in the process on R1).

Any ideas, Joe ?

18. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,525
    phanco

Could the DVD player be set to always output PAL - even with R1 NTSC discs.

There's often an option in the players set up menu to enable this function for occaisons when you have a TV that's not NTSC compatible.

Joe

19. phanco

phanco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Unfortunately not.

The DAVS550 has very little in terms of configuration beyond TV ratio

20. phanco

phanco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've just resingned myself to swapping cables to play the region 1 disks - tend to be older titles now anyway as most new stuff is available on R2 pretty quickly.

Thanks for all the ideas though !!