1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAVS550 - Multi-Region version or not?- Please advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by jonoss, Apr 1, 2003.

1. jonoss

jonoss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi fellow members. I am in the process of buying a Sony DAVS550 but am undecided as to if to get a multi region version or not. I get get a multi region version from Richer Sounds for £349 but have concerns.

1. Has the unit been hacked to make it multi and if so will it effect my warranty?

2. Should I have worries that if quoted as multi region it will actually function with multi region discs as I have read many messages of people experiencing problems with multi region players of all makes.

3. Should I buy a multi region kit or a single region one?

Many thanks in advance:
    :smashin:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I would say buy MR definatley, dont buy a DAV system.
    If buying from RS take their super care as long as you afford it, RCE disks are the ones that can cause problems. So try it with one and if it doesn't work take it back. Hanset hacks region boot discs are a pain in the ass!!!!!!!!
    Go for a fully auto MR upgrade. You wont even know its a different region disc.
    Cdwow and play willl show you the sort of savings you can make on discs having ann MR machine not too mention the earlier release of R1 discs etc.
    Personally i would look at a separates system much more options and will fit most budgets. Better quality and a cheaper upgrade path. (you dont have to bin the lot to upgrade) Can also be used for TV, Consoles, PC, Etc etc etc have a look here and also here to which add a DVD player of choice Tosh 220 from RS for £120 is a great buy if you can find stock or a pioneer 350 from hifibitz £109.99 with MR i have a Pioneer 444 from Hifibitz that came MR and its great plays every disc i have tried including RCE and picture is great.

PS Its more money but better performance, DAV 550 dont have scart so no RGB (top picture quality)

3. Bambi

Bambi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but Dav does have component which is better no?

4. hawk

hawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought dav 880 from sony and they did a software upgrade for it and it plays everything multi region,vcd ,svcd cost £30 for the upgrade.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Some DAV systems do, Comp is better but thats only any good if you a comp inputs on your TV, Lots of DVD players now have comp outputs.
    For a plasma with comp in that would work but for a standard TV which is unlikely to have comp inputs you are lited to S-vid or Composite:rolleyes:

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ignore this nonsense about not buying the DAVS550, for £299 you wont get a separates system that can touch it - unless you're incredibly cheap & stingy and have a way with sales people.